Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quartz Lake

Default Quartz Lake

Hey guys So i went to Quartz took my father and his co worker out in a boat.We fished for around ten hours brought in 30 fish quite a few good size ones too,The thing that bothers me is They were all land locked silver salmon every single one of them.I guess its a wierd question but I thought F&G stocked quartz with rainbows not silvers.I mean last year i went there and we caught nothing but rainbows so maybe it's just me.Does anyone have any information on this? Thanks
    There's a fine line between fishing....

and standing on the shore like an idiot! ALLEN BRADLEY-TANGLE LAKES ADVOCATE/FANBOY

there are still rainbows in the lake.

Understand this...it's a put and take fishery. If you stop putting and you keep taking, guess what's going to happen. The numbers I saw this spring were OK...not terribly good, but definatly not as good as it was just a few years ago in numbers or size.

They stocked it heavy the spring everyone including fish and game thought the lake died out. I dont know what's been stocked since. I think the limit should be reduced on the lake atleast until a point can be reached where supply atleast can cope wit the demand. It's a shame to see the lake go to hell over greedy people! One of the few easier access quality lakes we have!

And yes, the land locked silvers SUCK LOL!!!

Don't even get me started on the poachers that I've seen at that lake...

Proudly Serving Since 1997
    The circle is complete again, finally. The force is once again balanced!
    "Only a Sith deals in absolutes in regards to fishing!"

I witnessed this spring that the lake still has a healthy population of Rainbows.....I could not find any landlock salmon?

Guess is depends on where your fishing and what time of the year....also I agree sometimes in March I think it has winter killed...surprised me to see all the large rainbows still in the lake this spring....Yes again on the those that take more than they should...shame on them, the lake seems to bouncde back from all of it...
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Default Very true

I agree alot of people do take more than they need,Im glad that my group only took enough(5 pan sized ones)For dinner that night but it still bugs me that we couldnt find a single rainbow but did find a silver with a small pink stripe and looked like a cross between a rainbow and a silver.Anyways Hope everyone had a good weekend.Thanks

and standing on the shore like an idiot! ALLEN BRADLEY-TANGLE LAKES ADVOCATE/FANBOY

Jedi, it wasnt so long ago right after ice out the place was plugged with fish.

Dont get me wrong there still IS fish, it definatly isnt as good as it was not so long ago.

The only way it can rebound for rainbows is to put more fish in. Or limit the pressure, or bag limits (which is what I'd like to see, reduce the amount people can keep).

I do see the silvers more later in the year once things warm up. Before the green starts really popping in the lake.

Winter fishing mid 90's was crazy fun!!! Same with early spring before they moved out of the shallows.

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    Jedi, it wasnt so long ago right after ice out the place was plugged with fish.

Dont get me wrong there still IS fish, it definatly isnt as good as it was not so long ago.

The only way it can rebound for rainbows is to put more fish in. Or limit the pressure, or bag limits (which is what I'd like to see, reduce the amount people can keep).

I do see the silvers more later in the year once things warm up. Before the green starts really popping in the lake.

Winter fishing mid 90's was crazy fun!!! Same with early spring before they moved out of the shallows.
    I have not seen any big changes in the last nine years of my fishing the lake, I have fished both summer and winter, not as far back as you have.

Not to say there have not been changes seen by others, for my personal experience pressure has remained the same and so has my catch rate.....basically over the last nine years.

I even saw an arctic char caught, estimated 23 inches, while trolling this last May.

there is definatly some nice dollies in there :P

Talking Really???

I had no clue there were arctic char or dollies in quartz...I guess i need to fish there more lol.

Default Higher math?

Your gonna make me count gill rakers again!! more or less than 23?

Quote Originally Posted by Albradley View Post
    I had no clue there were arctic char or dollies in quartz...I guess i need to fish there more lol.
    Siode Note: The state stocks arctic char in most of the Richardson HWY lakes, they are not dollies....

Default quartz quandry

hey guys i live in fairbanks and fish quartz all the time. i went to fish and game and got the scoop on the lake. it is stocked with around 20K rainbows every/every other year and 170K 1.9 in silver salmon smolt every year. the rainbows are an 8 year western alaska strain capable of great size. most of the silvers get eaten every year and ADFG seems happy to feed those fat rainbows. as of late many persons have been guilty of taking WAY too many of the smaller fish so there numbers have declined. Although if you know what your doing those big ones are easy to come by. (sorry egg plunkers) my old lady and i catch and release more 5-8 lb fish than i can count every summer. hope that clears things up a bit

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/State...cSearchResults

Having trouble posting the exact address but just click link and select lake and smolt stocking, then Delta area, and then Quartz.
    "Bark,bark,bark,sniff,sniff,bark,and bark" - Lynchs Blue Roan Lynch E.C.K.

Quote Originally Posted by EMMETT View Post
    hey guys i live in fairbanks and fish quartz all the time. i went to fish and game and got the scoop on the lake. it is stocked with around 20K rainbows every/every other year and 170K 1.9 in silver salmon smolt every year. the rainbows are an 8 year western alaska strain capable of great size. most of the silvers get eaten every year and ADFG seems happy to feed those fat rainbows. as of late many persons have been guilty of taking WAY too many of the smaller fish so there numbers have declined. Although if you know what your doing those big ones are easy to come by. (sorry egg plunkers) my old lady and i catch and release more 5-8 lb fish than i can count every summer. hope that clears things up a bit
    They also stock arctic char, looks like the last time was aug 2009 according to stocking info on ADFG.

Default Quartz tomorow!

I am fishing Quarz lake tomorrow in my canoe. I was wondering what was best to fish with? I did well with shrimp last winter, is that good in the summer too? I am also taking a lot of spinners and spoons, and my fly rod just in case the surface fishing looks good.
    "Bark,bark,bark,sniff,sniff,bark,and bark" - Lynchs Blue Roan Lynch E.C.K.

Quote Originally Posted by lynch View Post
    I am fishing Quarz lake tomorrow in my canoe. I was wondering what was best to fish with? I did well with shrimp last winter, is that good in the summer too? I am also taking a lot of spinners and spoons, and my fly rod just in case the surface fishing looks good.
    I usually Use Nightcrawlers and sometimes sportsmans' warehouse has a great shrimp which is a neon pink color that just kills them.

I am restarting this thread because I would like to know hat you guys use on quartz in late spring early winter when the ice has backed off the lake around 20 feet?

a bobber....and some other stuff...you pick the flavor. I'm going with Redd. You guys that think Quartz was good in the 90's....must have never been there in the 80's. Those days are gone forever.

I know its too early but I would like anyone who knows of the ice backing away from the shore to post their info on here.I will start looking on during the second week of may.Thank you guys

Not even close................Went to an area in the shallows and drilled 3ft to the bottom and hit dirt. It is going to be quite awhile.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast