Thread: I would like to start fly fishing this year.

Default I would like to start fly fishing this year.

Hey guys. I want to start fly fishing this year and was wondering if you guys could recommend some cheaper combos to start out with. Preferably under $100 since money is a little tight. I have been looking at a few on the Cabela's site specifically at this combo I plan on using this for Reds and Silvers so I read that 8wt is what I need.

Also do any of you guys know of classes around Anchorage that would be good for beginners? Thanks in advance for the help.

Default Cabela's combo

If you decide on the Cabela's fly rod/reel combo go for the 8WT 908-4 which is the 4 piece with a fighting butt. That is a pretty good price and I wouldn't wait too long because they sell out fast when they have these sales. Also ditch and save the 20lb backing and spool up 140 to 150 yards of 30lb backing on the fly reel. No more that 1/3 of the spool to leave room for the fly line. No need to lose the fly line to a hot fish. The 20lb backing is good for trout systems, but not salmon. Once you hear that pop and see your fly line going down river you will wish you spend a few extra bucks on the 30lb backing. Besides you will need that 20lb backing for that 5WT trout rod. Tight lines and welcome to the light, brother.
    Only those that can see the invisible can do the impossible.

Default Basic Set-up

I have only been flyfishing for a year. I started out with a 8/9 wt ugly stick flyrod, and an 8 wt Okuma reel spooled with 30lb float line. I got this for about 120 bucks at sportsmen's for everything. They put the line on and backing for me too. I have caught plenty of Reds with this set-up. Just ask the guys at sportsmen's and they will hook you up. Good rod to start with since those ugly sticks can take some abuse.

The only problem with the Ugly Sticks is that they are only good for flipping....(ok, maybe not the only problem)

Get something that you can learn how to cast with in the near future.
    I am not against the flippin kenai, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering every other stream... ~Paul O'Neil~/~Wyo2AK~

That kit on Cabelas you linked would be fine. As would any, you are just learning. I would suggest getting a 4 piece rod. Get something affordable and enjoy it. Also, buy the dvd below from the flyfishing legend Lefty Kreh. This dvd is sold at Cabelas and is a no nonsense approach to casting a fly rod. He tells it like it is. Very easy to understand and I used it to teach myself flyfishing. It is alot easier than you think man. Get a rod, watch the dvd a time or two, do some lawn casting, you will be flyfishing literally overnight. Have fun.

Lefty Kreh on Fly Casting
    DVD Item:IA-619808
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Thumbs up The class is right here in the AOF.

Thanks for the advice fellas.

Default Thanks

Thanks for all the advice. Please keep it going.

Juneau, AK

i have heard great things about those cabelas rods. great for the price. wish i would have went that route. i ended up getting a pfluger(im bad at spelling) and its ok, not bad for $50 bucks but it has no drag system.
    I Wish i could change my name to Shimano, because i recently started hating Ambassdor Abu_Garcia.

Redington has a nice entry level 8 weight combo at Cabela's for under $150. A buddy of mine came up three years back, picked it up and left it when he went back south. I've used it for steelies, silvers and fall 'bows and it's great. I'd definitely recommend it.

First thing you need to do is make friends with someone who runs a fly shop; they will know someone who is selling used gear. They may retire a demo rod now and then too which can result in some sweet deals. I started on a used 8'6" cortland 5/6 and a cheap reel with a bit of drag control for $100 with some line and backing thrown in. I still use the rod for everything from greyling to coho, even though I have a nicer 8wt now. Once you get into fast current/bridges/shoulder-to-shoulder fishermen etc you will want an 8wt though. I wouldn't worry about the reel too much for now. Most fishermen I know keep it pretty loose and palm the reel no matter how smooth a drag system they have. You should be able to get started tying flies for $100 or so as well. If you stick to the simpler patterns it is cheaper over time than buying flies (or spinners, for that matter), and you'll be more confident about letting them sink down into the strike zone if you're not worrying that each hangup is costing you $3.50.

Quote Originally Posted by rbj13 View Post
    money is a little tight.
    Not a good start for up and coming fly fishermen. Seriously, anyone familiar with fly fishing will tell you it's not cheap. Tack on addicting, and some of us have serious problem.

My take on all of this.. fishing reds and silvers isn't truly fly-fishing. That combo gets a foot in the door, but flipping an 8wt doesn't exactly teach you much in the way of fly fishing.

When people come to me and ask for advice on how to get started I tell them all the same thing. Get a nice 4-5wt that you can feel. It doesn't need to be expensive. But it needs to be something that you can grow into. It won't take long before your skillset is simply beyond that of a cheapo rod. It's just that when you are starting with an 8wt you may as well be waving a telephone pole around. Flipping an 8wt when you're just starting is akin to attaching 9 feet of mono to a 9 foot tree limb and throwing it out there.
    For your goals this year.. Id go with a 7wt. 4 piece. Possibly consider lining it up (putting 8wt line on your reel). Then practice practice practice. In your yard, in my yard, in the ballfield. At work. At stop lights, at lunch. In your sleep. Practice till your **** arm falls off. shoot for something ridiculous like 5 million casts before you wet your line. Frustrating...yes. But it will help and IMO will behoove you and prepare you for the future when you decide to expand your fly fishing.
    And be prepared.. the day you hook your first fish on a fly rod is the day you never look back.
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzyman87 View Post
    Get something that you can learn how to cast with in the near future.
    Exactly! When starting, being able to feel the rod load and unload is paramount. Start by casting sidearm as well, so you can easily see what the line is doing. I think lining up a 7wt will accomplish your goals and help you with this aspect.

Of course you could always do what muzzy does... Set up a metronome and cast for hours a day in the yard, brad pitt style.
    Quote Originally Posted by akriverman View Post
    4 piece
    Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    I would suggest getting a 4 piece rod.