Default Variety at the Deska

Good size variety at the Deshka today:

Quote Originally Posted by mudbuddy View Post
    Good size variety at the Deshka today:

1lb
    21lb
    28lb

Did you fish the mouth

thats pretty neat.....let me guess, yours is the little one right? just bein funny! thats encouraging though to see some pics. Glad you had a good day and thanks for posting! Also, Welcome to the Site!

Release Lake Trout

Quote Originally Posted by skybust View Post
    Did you fish the mouth
    Yes, well upstream of the gauntlet of boats to where there was enough room to cast.

Default fishing

I plan on going to the deshka tomorrow and was wondering when a good time to go would be? This will be the first time I have ever fished the deshka, or been on the susitna in over 10 years. I thought I might give it a try tomorrow. Is it easy to find from deshka landing. I guess my question is can I get into trouble by beaching myself or just stay to the left and keep looking right for the deshka. I would greatly appreciate it for any info you guys can give me.

Chris

if you havent been in that long its probably best if you follow someone. there are plenty of people coming and going. there are a few places that you can beach on. best time, early morning, lines in at 6am. lots of people pull out of the landing between 5 and 6am to get a spot.

I was down there about 2 or 3 weeks ago and I tore a prop up at the last bend before you cut across to get up the mouth of the Deshka, but I am sure the water is up, but honeslty I wouldn't worry about beaching a boat unless you really can't read a river, but if your running a prop whatch the sonar....... it gets real skinny quick.

Quote Originally Posted by bruinman View Post
    I plan on going to the deshka tomorrow and was wondering when a good time to go would be? This will be the first time I have ever fished the deshka, or been on the susitna in over 10 years. I thought I might give it a try tomorrow. Is it easy to find from deshka landing. I guess my question is can I get into trouble by beaching myself or just stay to the left and keep looking right for the deshka. I would greatly appreciate it for any info you guys can give me.

Chris
    Chris running to the deshka is easy if you know anything about reading rivers you will have no problems its easy to see where the deep water is and when you see cabins on the bluff look to the right and thats the deshka. There will be alot of boat goiing down between five and six. Hope this helps Chris

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    I was down there about 2 or 3 weeks ago and I tore a prop up at the last bend before you cut across to get up the mouth of the Deshka, but I am sure the water is up, but honeslty I wouldn't worry about beaching a boat unless you really can't read a river, but if your running a prop whatch the sonar....... it gets real skinny quick.
    Self teacher.
    Prop motors can make it but some experience in reading the water is very helpful. In the old days with shear pins, you learned to read the water reeeeeal good .
    Thats why you see lots of jet units, forgiving when you make a mistake but have seen many stuck & ground up impellers.

You got some GOOD advice from others, go with someone with experience or hook up with someone to follow. An extra prop a must!! (an extra prop nut nice to have also just in case you drop one in the river)
    When you hit bottom, now you have a rock prop. Put it on in marginal water, when in the main channel, then put on the good one.
    Once you hit, watch RPM's, you can "over rev" the engine easy with what's now a small prop.

When in doubt slow down & get out a paddle & have a guy in front keep checking depth. Watch for logs, both floating & stuck in the river.
    Outside of bends 20' off the bank 90% of the time is deep. 90% of the time ripples on top of the water are bad. River changes daily, the sand & gravel bars are constantly moving. No rubber necking & checking out the scenery for the driver, 100% attention on driving the boat.

Also if you run it allot, change the water pump impeller annually. The silty water eats them. Motor over heats & you need a tow home.

It's a short run & a good one to gain river experience on. You should be fine, just pay attention.

I know all the above from personnel experience

PS: Have A Good life vest ON!

I do have a jet and can run in 2 inches of water as long as im on step. Ripples on top of water usually means shallow water. I learned that the hard way lastyear on the little sue. anyway thanks for the advice and I might see you on the river. Look for a flat bottom G3 with Gamakatsu on the side and come say hi. IF your off tomorrow and would like to go your more than welcome to go. I have room for 1 or 2 more. Thanks for the advice guys. As I think of questions I'll ask. Thanks

Chris

The water on the Deshka is really high right now. The big rain Saturday brought it up alot. We caught one king last night, and saw a few rollers.

Friday was a pretty good day.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Quote Originally Posted by bruinman View Post
    I do have a jet and can run in 2 inches of water as long as im on step. Ripples on top of water usually means shallow water. I learned that the hard way lastyear on the little sue. anyway thanks for the advice and I might see you on the river. Look for a flat bottom G3 with Gamakatsu on the side and come say hi. IF your off tomorrow and would like to go your more than welcome to go. I have room for 1 or 2 more. Thanks for the advice guys. As I think of questions I'll ask. Thanks

Chris
    Well you're hooked up. No problem. Jet is the best for most rivers in AK.
    Have fun
    Good luck.

Keep your hooks sharp & the drag loose

Chris,
    Oh you have a jet.......man you can make it there no problem, you can scoot all the way there. Like I said the only place were it gets skinny is that last bend. You can see the cabins up on the bluff from there, you have to cut across the river to make the turn to get up the mouth, there is about a foot of water there in that section but it has rained so it is higher now I am sure. But a jet on step will run right threw there no problem.

My problem was I wasn't on step because I didn't want to beach the boat and I knew there wasn't a lot of water there ahead of time. Slow boat causes more draft in the water and your boat sits lower, plus I dont' have a jon boat, I have a hewes craft and the older ones are heavy...........LOL

Best of luck to you on your trip!

I find the mouth a little tricky this year. Once you see the bluff w/the cabins, either work your way right to follow the island channel (NOT a good idea for a prop), or stay left and go all the way to the end of the bluff before turning up the deshka. I've seen two boats smack the bar at the mouth this year.
    Jim Creek - Home of the burning car hook cast!

Default Camp

Your pass is good for 24hrs. I head out 6:00pm the day before and throw a tent out on the beach then fish that evening. Roll out of my sleeping bag the next morning around 5:30am and in position ready fish drinking coffee at 6:00. More relaxing for me this way and not so crowded putting in and taking out.
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

Default fishing

anyone know how the fishing was today? Im curious with the water being high. I dont think I'll have problems at the island as long as I stay on step and get past the island. where is a good place to fish.