Thread: subsistence hunting

Default subsistence hunting

i just moved to a bush community in southwest AK after a tour in the desert. i'm working at the high school here, and the price of meat is going to kill me, but i can't afford to pay for a non-res hunting tag, either. i've heard rumors about residency rights after 30 or 90 days for hunts on federal land. anybody know about this, or a way that i could get into hunting without dropping my entire paycheck on it? i've been begging meat off of other teachers and some of the locals, but i won't be able to do that for long.

what village you in and what do you do at the school?
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I copied this from the Federal regulations. In order to be able to hunt as a subsistence hunter you must first have a state of alaska resident license.

7) Do you have the necessary
    licenses, permits, harvest
    tickets, and tags?
    Rural residents age 16 and older must possess a State
    of Alaska-issued resident hunting or trapping license to
    hunt or trap under these regulations. Residents age 60
    or older may get a free permanent identification card
    issued by ADF&G. You must carry your license or
    permanent i.d. card with you while taking wildlife for
    subsistence uses. You can purchase licenses at many
    stores and other outlets in Alaska or on the web at
    http://www.admin.adfg.state.ak.us/license.

i live in togiak, working as the shop teacher for the high school.

you'd better tell your school distict to up your pay if you can't even aford to live there already. the mcgrath schoold district took decent care of its teachers but nothing like north slope does...wow.
    welcome to village life, cringe anytime you slide the card...
    Master guide 212

Default teacher salary

Schloss, PM if your wanting a teaching job on the road system. I am assuming your in the bush because of student loan programs. Glennallen is rural as far as that goes.

'm a product of glennallen teachers....you can take that however you want...lol
    Master guide 212

Thank God for small town schools. Counldn't ever imagine sending my kids to school in any city. The teachers here work as hard as I have ever seen. They know all the parents personally and strive even harder because the usually friends. Just another reason to not live in the urban sprawl.

Default teacher

schloss I am also a teacher out here and have been here for 5 years. The first year is terrible because you see everyone going and getting bou and you can't. See if you can go along on a hunt and maybe if you are willing to help out skinning/butchering you can get some meat.

Next year you will be in heaven

Default right on 222

He's right- buying a jug of gas for someone and going out with them goes a long way. Most are happy to take a newcomer if you are willing to learn, participate, and work alongside them.

I'll also agree if you decide to stick it out there you'll be enjoying yourself next year more than likely.

Togiak is in Togiak refuge. Be a good boy, you got both state and fed enforcement officers watching you, and everyone else in the area.
    Like fish said, help pay for travel expenses and offer manual labor.
    Shop teacher? Wouldn't some of those saws help with cutting meat? Maybe the local expert hunter needs help with a sled? Maybe you could make a sled and trade for meat. Fed regs allow for customary barter and trade.
    Lots of options if you use your imagination.
    I believe that you DO NOT need a fishing license to subsistence fish thru the ice. Check to make sure tho.
    Oh yea, the Tog refuge manager is less than a nice guy, imo.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default One year

As Muskeg pointed out you gotta have a State of Alaska resident license to be eligible for subsistance. That takes one full year of residency.

In the mean time, as others have pointed out, volunteer your time, energy and gas money and I'm sure you'll be taken care of. If you act like you want to belong, they'll treat you like you belong and be happy to share with you.

Don't miss out on dipping smelt in front of the Togiak Cannery, or herring and herring roe on kelp. Good stuff! There are a few razor clams in the area too. The ones I've eaten are a subspecies called jap clams. they look like a regular razor clam, but the tip of the neck is different. The ones I had we dug in Nunavarchek close to the lagoon.

If you just have to hunt, get a small game license and hunt ptarmigan and hare.

fishlakehome, PM sent.

Default Welcome Home...

Schloss...