Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clear Creek Kings?

Default Clear Creek Kings?

any kings showing up yet this year? hopin' the numbers are better than last year...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    any kings showing up yet this year? hopin' the numbers are better than last year...
    You and me both!!! They all seem late, rivers low so they probably won't push up as fast- I figure to see a few showing up by us around the 4th.

purrrrfect.
    Master guide 212

Default kings

Any new news on the kings in Clear Creek?

Thumbs up

There were two full tour company charters that went out yesterday. Some of them got Kings. Took four boats to haul them up.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    There were two full tour company charters that went out yesterday. Some of them got Kings. Took four boats to haul them up.
    Thats a LOT of kings, took 4 boats to haul em all!

Default Update Anyone

Any firsthand (real) reports? As we all know the charter reports can be less than reliable-on a good day.

Probably going this weekend anyhow, but this year especially nice to hear if it might be worth waiting a few more days....and take a day off midweek prior to the 4th madhouse.

Default 2nd hand

talked to one person fished it yesterday. 1 red, 3 kings hooked. He saw "a few others landed."

Let you now Sunday night

floated out of clear creek on friday evening...probably 50 people are so at the mouth. saw a couple kings in the clear water right behind where everyone was fishing, maybe saw a dozen reds. as i drifted thru i did see one guy hook up and loose, several charter boats with no one looking like they were having the time of their life...
    what an ugly place, tents all over the sand bars, boats all up and down the bank, a porta potty that someone rigged up at the mouth, chairs all over...its like a redneck russian river...
    Master guide 212

Can you drive to clear crrek or do you have to take a boat?

Are you using bait or spinners?? Reds? flippin for em I guess?

Heading up to Talkeetna for the 4th, never fushed up that way before. I am a peninsula fisher, but want to expand my horizons. Plus I have grown fond of Talkeetna. Any info would be much appreciated!!

Rusty,

You need to take a jet boat up to clear creek. There are commercial jetboaters in Talkeetna that would love to take you up there.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyMonkey View Post
    Can you drive to clear crrek or do you have to take a boat?

Are you using bait or spinners?? Reds? flippin for em I guess?

Heading up to Talkeetna for the 4th, never fushed up that way before. I am a peninsula fisher, but want to expand my horizons. Plus I have grown fond of Talkeetna. Any info would be much appreciated!!
    You have to take a boat. Mahay's and Tri-river's are the two that I know of that will run you out to Clear Creek. I think they charge $55-$60 for a round trip no matter how long you stay at the creek. You just have to tell them when you want dropped off (call and make a reservation) and when you want picked up. However, if you have your own boat then it's not a problem. Just drive up the Talkeetna River until you see the circus.

As far as I know, no bait is allowed in Clear Creek. Everybody I see fishing just slings corkies, yarn, spin/glo's and the occasional fly. I've never seen anybody target reds specifically. They usually get them while fishing for kings since many people fish the clear/silt line and it's fairly close to shore. You will see some people slinging their rigs out into the middle of the Talkeetna as well, but when they hook up they're already in that fast water and they usually get spooled, broken off or the hook rips out. Occasionally, somebody lands one out of the fast water. I saw some guys do it last year using halibut poles with 100 lb braid. It's going to be a bigger zoo than normal over the 4th, but just bring lots of beer and plenty of extra tackle and you should have a great time.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_in_AK View Post
    Rusty,

You need to take a jet boat up to clear creek. There are commercial jetboaters in Talkeetna that would love to take you up there.
    Or if your feeling adventurous and have a jet ski, that will work too.

be sure to use plenty of bear spray!

any king reports from the weekend at clear creek? how about further up the Talkeetna? thanks for any help

Quote Originally Posted by AKGrayling View Post

Sometimes I have a hard time reaching my back so I always ask someone to help me spray there. The itching and burning sensation is well worth keeping the bears away.

Relax with the bear. A little pepper takes good on meat if I was a bear getting ready eat I like some pepper instead of lead....

Quote Originally Posted by AKGrayling View Post

Question Too late for kings?

Was thinking of heading to Clear Creek on Saturday, Jul 10th. Do you think there will be kings in there about that time, or have I missed my opportunity?

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    floated out of clear creek on friday evening...probably 50 people are so at the mouth. saw a couple kings in the clear water right behind where everyone was fishing, maybe saw a dozen reds. as i drifted thru i did see one guy hook up and loose, several charter boats with no one looking like they were having the time of their life...
    what an ugly place, tents all over the sand bars, boats all up and down the bank, a porta potty that someone rigged up at the mouth, chairs all over...its like a redneck russian river...

Flew over the mouth Friday night. What a mess, you would have been hard pressed to find a spot to put a tent.- I love the infinite wisdom of it being the only 'easy' access fishery left open on the 4th. BTW, I have a cabin on the river and have NEVER seen so few kings- I can only hope there will be a late push, the river actually gets a small king run, even on a good year- it should have been closed too, no question about it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast