Thread: 75 Yard 454 Group

Default 75 Yard 454 Group

With all of the accuracy posts lately, I decided to shot this 3 shot group at 75 yards. I can not see the sights and or target to shoot any better this this any more. If I do shoot better it is because of the lighting and back ground allows me to see a bit better.
    The Ammo is Buffalo Bore 360 grain WLFN Hard Cast

Better than I can do for sure. I shoot that size group sometimes smaller at 25 yards with my Ruger Alaskan
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by jwp500 View Post
    With all of the accuracy posts lately, I decided to shot this 3 shot group at 75 yards. I can not see the sights and or target to shoot any better this this any more. If I do shoot better it is because of the lighting and back ground allows me to see a bit better.
    The Ammo is Buffalo Bore 360 grain WLFN Hard Cast

Beautiful gun. I love the Freedom Arms .454 Casull Mine is Magna-Ported like yours (I have the Field-grade one instead).

The 75-yard shooting is not bad at all. At that distance I would use a scope, since it's very difficult to see the right spot to shoot on the target. Without a scope it's mush like shooting for the center of mass, which is nothing more than a small white fuzzy blob in the distance.

I can shoot groups like that with my 41 mag but if I ain't man enough to do it with a 454.

I am not recoil sensitive with a rifle but I can't make that claim with the big hand cannons.

That group is minute of boiler room on most anything to 100 yards! Nice shooting!

Nicely done JWP!
    Like EKC I can make a can dance with 41mag or 45LC but 454 is not my cup of tea! A friend brought a 454 to my place a few years back, was scoped Taurus, I shot it 3 times, unloaded the remaining rounds and said that was enuff! Felt way big in my hands, awkward, and too much recoil.
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

That's some fine shootin there. Dead critter that's for sure.

Guys,thanks for the kind words

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    Nicely done JWP!
    Like EKC I can make a can dance with 41mag or 45LC but 454 is not my cup of tea! A friend brought a 454 to my place a few years back, was scoped Taurus, I shot it 3 times, unloaded the remaining rounds and said that was enuff! Felt way big in my hands, awkward, and too much recoil.
    I have small to medium-size hands, and find the Freedom Arms .454's recoil quite manageable, at least the Magna-Ported ones (like the one in the photos above). Sometimes I shoot it one-handed three or four times to practice Maybe what helps this revolver is its weight (it's quite heavy), and also that being single action a slight touch of the trigger fires it (I don't really know). One thing for certain, I try not to manhandle it, and it seems to work best this way.

Nice shooting. Glad the ammo and revolver combination works well for you. That 360gr. load is my favorite of the three different 454 loads we make.

I too am a fan of the FA revolvers--I dont care for the size, shape or weight of the Ruger SR, but I love the FA.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Sundles View Post
    Nice shooting. Glad the ammo and revolver combination works well for you. That 360gr. load is my favorite of the three different 454 loads we make.

I too am a fan of the FA revolvers--I dont care for the size, shape or weight of the Ruger SR, but I love the FA.

I have used a lot of your ammo from 45 ACP to the 500 Linebaugh and JRH to take a mirad of game including American Buffalo as well as Asian as well as smaller game with nothing but excellent results. I like the 420's in the 475 and the 525 in the Linebaugh. The 440 in the JRH at 950 FPS will shoot completely through Bull Elk and leaves a large wound channel. The 425 will break shoulder and shoot completely through both shoulders of an Asian Buffalo, so with the 420 grain LFN in the 475. The 525 at 1100 FPS is an awesome bullet in the 500 Linebaugh and will exit on broad side shots on Bison that weigh over a ton. Never ever chrono'ed a BB load that was below advertised velocity

Thumbs up

NICE SHOOTIN!! And a great gun to do it with. In my 6" I like the 340 grain WFNCGC, but make my own in a mold I designed that was built by mountain molds, I think I wold like to have Dan make another one in 260 grain with the same large meplate and nose dimension, it would be all one needs for deer size game, and like the way the 340 really whacks when it hits with the large flat meplat.

Quote Originally Posted by jwp500 View Post
    I have used a lot of your ammo from 45 ACP to the 500 Linebaugh and JRH to take a mirad of game including American Buffalo as well as Asian as well as smaller game with nothing but excellent results. I like the 420's in the 475 and the 525 in the Linebaugh. The 440 in the JRH at 950 FPS will shoot completely through Bull Elk and leaves a large wound channel. The 425 will break shoulder and shoot completely through both shoulders of an Asian Buffalo, so with the 420 grain LFN in the 475. The 525 at 1100 FPS is an awesome bullet in the 500 Linebaugh and will exit on broad side shots on Bison that weigh over a ton. Never ever chrono'ed a BB load that was below advertised velocity
    Glad the ammunition works well for you and thank you for saying so.

To this day I still get emails and phone calls from folks looking for our 500 JRH loads...........but I loaded that ammo on a contract for Jack and shipped all of it to him over seven years ago.

If I carry a revolver in grizzly country (which I do often) my favorite is the 500 Linebaugh loaded with 440gr. Golden Bear solids or any comparable hard cast bullet. My favorite single action is a serial # 2 linebaugh/Ruger SBH conversion to 500 Linebaugh. JRH also made me an all stainless 500 Linebaugh, 5.5 inch, several years ago that I have killed a few bear with and it is a beautiful revbolver. I also have a 4 inch Red Hawk that was converted to 500 Linebaugh and I carry only the 525gr. load in that gun. WHile this gun is ugly, it is a prized possession because function has its own beauty.....

I could write/talk for a long time about big bore custom revolvers. I enjoy several of them made by at least one each of all the big name converters, chambered in 500 & 475 Linebaugh.

Tim,
    I Just wanted to thank you for all the time you took to answer my questions about your ammo before I made the move to Alaska. I know your probably very busy, and I appreciate your kindness. All the BB ammo I bought hold great groups. I haven't had the chance to hunt with it yet, but I am sure it will do the job when the time comes.

I just picked up a "Super Redhawk" 454, I'm having trouble finding BB in the heavy bullet loads here locally, it seems the BB ammo sells fast, guess I'll just have to make another on line purchase.
    Thanks for making a great product.

At 75 yards with open sight that's an impressive group.......nice looking revolver.

Good shooting but how about a Vaquero .45 at 50 yards. This gun has shot many 1" groups at 75 yards from Creedmore off the side of my leg.