Thread: Caribou Self Guided Hunt Recommendations

Default Caribou Self Guided Hunt Recommendations

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if you could help me find a few outfitters that would fly me out for a self guided caribou hunt. I am looking for something in the 1000-2000 range. I checked out Arrowhead outfitters, but I'm hoping for something a little bit cheaper.

Thanks

Default Check archieves

Do a search for happy valley, and you will find alot of information.

1000-2000 from where? Is that what you want to pay round trip..........fly in and out?
    Where do you live now?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

And how many people are going? As MT asked, the "where from" and the "where to" is a huge difference maker

Thumbs up caribou drop-off

S-piggy,
    Your search for air support should begin and end with Mike McCrary. He operates out of Happy Valley-which is road accessable- up in GMU 26B, and can be reached at 907 209-0119. Even up in Happy Valley, i believe he gets cell phone calls. If I'm wrong, leave him a message. Tell him what you want and within what budget concerns you have, and he will get your hunt/flight plans cooking. After talking with him go ahead and compare cost and location with other transporter providers. At that point you will book your flights with him.

Dennis

Sorry that I wasn't thorough enough, but I was looking at the Brook's range region at first because I know that the Mulchatna herd in the southern area has been hurting badly these past few years. To be honest I don't know where I will be flying out from and where I will be flying in to because I have left my options open for now. My father contacted an Arrowhead Outfitter employee and a few other charters, but it seems like no one can do it under $2400 per person to fly us to and back from where ever we should be dropped off. There will be four people going in total.

Thanks again.

PS: Thanks AlaskaTrueAdventure for the information. I will call Mike later today and tell him about our situation.

For that price range, you may have to drive fairly close to your starting point with the air charter, such as some point along the Haul Road (Coldfoot or Galbraith Lake?). As a comparison, air charters out of Kotzebue are running $700 / hour of flight time for a Cessna 206 (don't forget you pay for the flight time of pilot returning home after he drops you off as well). With 4 guys, you're looking at 2 round trips to get yourselves and gear in with a 206. Two trips for sure with a Cessna 185.

Default Ram Aviation in Kotzebue

As always I recommend Ram Aviation for flying out of Kotzebue. Usually around $2,000 per person or less and we've had great luck with them. I talked to them a few days ago and they had a day or two left that they could fly someone into the field. www.huntandfishalaska.net is their web site. Good luck if your planning a trip for this year!

You might want to do some more searching before considering Arrowhead outfitters. This would be a good start.
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ead+outfitters

Hi all,

Thanks again for all the insight. I spoke to the Ram Aviation company and they seem to be good at what they have been doing. I will probably go with them, however, if any of you can share your experiences with these people I would highly appreciate it.

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaTrueAdventure View Post
    S-piggy,
    Your search for air support should begin and end with Mike McCrary. He operates out of Happy Valley-which is road accessable- up in GMU 26B, and can be reached at 907 209-0119. Even up in Happy Valley, i believe he gets cell phone calls. If I'm wrong, leave him a message. Tell him what you want and within what budget concerns you have, and he will get your hunt/flight plans cooking. After talking with him go ahead and compare cost and location with other transporter providers. At that point you will book your flights with him.

Dennis
    Hard to beat Mike, he is one of the best out there. If I was in the market for a caribou hunt in the Brooks Mike would be the one I would call. He went above and beyond for us on our hunt.

Steve

I thought Mike operated out of King Salmon. When did he re-locate?

About five years ago (maybe more), Mike started transitioning to Happy Valley and Deadhorse. He currently operates from there exclusively and no longer keeps the House in Nak Nek. This year looks like it will be one of his busiest yet.

Don Mulligan

Default Caribou bag limits

Is it possible to take 2 animals on these unguided caribou hunts?