Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Russian River Numbers????

Default Russian River Numbers????

The Russian continues to look horrible. Is anyone hearing any information about a possible late run like some of the other rivers? I can't imagine that river not getting restricted if the numbers continue to be that bad. Only 525 or so fish as of June 19. 2008 was a pretty normal year and that run had over 3000 by the same date.

Default Russain River fish come with the chinook

Quote Originally Posted by yukon View Post
    The Russian continues to look horrible. Is anyone hearing any information about a possible late run like some of the other rivers? I can't imagine that river not getting restricted if the numbers continue to be that bad. Only 525 or so fish as of June 19. 2008 was a pretty normal year and that run had over 3000 by the same date.
    Look, Russian River entered with the chinook. The test nets showed that. They entered about the 6 or 7th of June and it takes 10 days or more to get to the Russian River and then depending on water conditions more days to get to the weir. So lets wait and see what happens in the next week.

Less than 600 reds across the weir at the Russian thru June 20.

Looking back at the weir numbers for the Russian the last ten years and this is by far the worst run by numbers across the weir during this timeframe. In all but one year there were more than 7000 reds across the counter by now with the lone exception being 2008 when the count was a little over 4000.

The next few days will be huge and I am hoping that there are a lot of reds hanging out in the sanctuary as it is getting pretty late for a big push of sockeye to be still below Skilak. Hopefully they are just running late.

Default Reds

I spent all last week (13th - 19th) in the middle river above Bings and it was dead dead dead as far as reds go! I have taken that week as vacation now for ten years and this was the first year I have ever come up skunked on reds. Very few (if any) rollers at any of the normal spots and we never touched a fish....good thing the trout fishing was decent.

Got a buddy still on the river this week and he is reporting the same observations for the middle river Bings to Skilak.....no reds.

-sc

from what I hear they are stacked in the sanctuary and are holding.

Default Surprised

What do you expect when they were netting them down at the mouth!

I checked the runs back for several decades a week or so ago and this far the worse - I suspect it is remaining so.

BTW- Do we have any information yet on the number of Russian bound fish that were netted at the mouth of the Kenai? With the dismal run this year any fish removed was too many it would appear even if they did save the comm guys some fish.

Quote Originally Posted by yukon View Post
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Smile history of runs

Quote Originally Posted by iceblue View Post
    Less than 600 reds across the weir at the Russian thru June 20.

Looking back at the weir numbers for the Russian the last ten years and this is by far the worst run by numbers across the weir during this timeframe. In all but one year there were more than 7000 reds across the counter by now with the lone exception being 2008 when the count was a little over 4000.

The next few days will be huge and I am hoping that there are a lot of reds hanging out in the sanctuary as it is getting pretty late for a big push of sockeye to be still below Skilak. Hopefully they are just running late.
    This is not good news. If you look at the Russian River early run sockeye returns there are periods when it did not produce many fish. The two runs share a common rearing environment and so it will be interesting to watch this play out. However, one good piece of news is that with a few nets at the river mouth ADF&G caught 1100 fish. That does not speak to a poor return but a late one. That fishery just happened so maybe ADF&G did a cost recovery/test fishery after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerka View Post
    However, one good piece of news is that with a few nets at the river mouth ADF&G caught 1100 fish. That does not speak to a poor return but a late one. That fishery just happened so maybe ADF&G did a cost recovery/test fishery after all.
    I'm sure glad someone thinks its good news that fish and game caught more fish in the cost recovery fishery than have reached the russian so far.

I am by no means and expert in this. I started fishing the russian in 78. It used to not peak untill late in the month. Is this a bad run???? It could be. If we dont get a push of fish up in the next week then I will wonder big time too. I did not see a lot of fish when I floated down to Jims on saturday, I usually can take a couple of back channels and find them backed up. Not so. Not yet. I did see 8-10 in a few spots. I did get my fish but I worked for them no doubt
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default Good news to some-

I'm sure that some of the comm guys think it is great news that sport fish were caught and sold rather than "their fish".

I have to wonder if we ever get the true story of how many Russian bound fish were caught and sold so the second run users won't have to sacrifice any of that much larger run - the majority of the caught fish which go of course to the comm guys.

Quote Originally Posted by gusdog44 View Post
    I'm sure glad someone thinks its good news that fish and game caught more fish in the cost recovery fishery than have reached the russian so far.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Default shut er down

I think that they should shut us sporties off.

I guarantee you that the number of sport fish caught in the last week for reds headed to the russian to spawn is more than 1100......and I don't know of a single sport fisherman that uses the fish they catch to "manage" the fishery.

Get off the dead horse and look at all of the facts.

flame on......

I heard that the estimate for fish holding in the sanctuary is maybe half of the total needed for escapement (from ADF&G staff).

There is still a chance that this run could reach escapement numbers "If" there are some fish down in Skilak but with each passing day that goes by without a decent bump in the numbers across the weir it brings us that much closer to some type of restriction on sockeye in the Russian River area.

Hope that they are running fashionably late but...

Default Just shut it down!

I don't understand why it dosn't get shut down! Let the numbers get up then re-open it!
    Do we have to fish so bad this year we are willing to ruin it??

I for one hope they shut it down or in the next few days we get a big big push of fish!
    I spent friday night ans sat. morning fishing below skilak and saw maybe 5 rollers. This time of june their should be lot's of rollers stacked up in the slow spots.
    Hope someone with the authority to shut it down, does just that.
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

There are 500 fish pushing through tomorrow.

How do I know?

I'm going fishing (reds or bows, don't matter)

If the first run fails to show then we'll have to deal with it. The fish don't run on a calendar. The kings were late in the lower river and the reds are late in the upper. Close the sanctuary/ferry and let the fish push the river...maybe.

Close the fishery because the fish are a bit late? I don't believe so.

If the kings were early then there would be cause for concern.

Has anyone ever caught a red that swam with a day planner or iphone?
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Present day crowds targeting recent massive returns of early run reds are spoiled.

I can remember when the early run used to be consistently the weaker of the two in the Russian.

Even remember in the 70's when the limit was ONE sockeye until July 20 or so.

Might not be a bad step-down approach in the next few days to keep exploitation rates at reasonable levels.

Opportunity plus conservation. Just a thought.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Default man are you off base

Gusdog44 - are you serious. This is another one of your over the top posts and total lack of understanding of how fishery management works. If ADF&G has half the escapement in protected waters at this point in the run then there is nothing to worry about. That is why they are not moving. Get it a few days and lets see what happens. Also, river conditions dictate when they will move so we will see.

Also, TV again they are not anybodies fish until they are retained to their possession. Sorry that dog will not hunt.

The current count on the Russian is 1850 fish.....is this half the necessary minimum escapement in protected area?? Sure doesn't look like it to me.

Walked the Russian with some friends on Sunday, from near the falls to the mouth to just below the ferry. Some fish at the falls, none in the river to the sanctuary, and a good stack of salmon within the sanctuary. Might have been several thousand fish holding there but not more. If we are to rely on those fish to sustain future runs, we are in trouble! Close the Russian for salmon now and lower bag limit in all of Kenai to 1 fish perhaps?

I guess your observations disagree with the opinion posted that half the run has made it to protected waters.....the count through yesterday is 1836 fish to the wier.

Default what are you talking about

I guess your observations disagree with the opinion posted that half the run has made it to protected waters.....the count through yesterday is 1836 fish to the wier.
    Protected waters in this case is the mouth of the Russian River at where it comes into the Kenai. The counts for one day were over 1100 so we are seeing the inflection point. The run is just starting to come up the river to the weir. I think you misunderstand protected waters here. The fish move from the river mouth out of protected waters into a fishery and then back into protected waters above the weir. I can see your confusion with the term protected waters but you could ask what that means instead of posting something like above.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast