Thread: Black/Grizz question

Default Black/Grizz question

I had one come in last night, but stopped short about 30 yards from the bait... Never saw it as he stayed in the brush, heard a lot of sniffing and teeth popping though... Grizz or back bear? I say grizz, as I have never heard a black pop his teeth but I thought I would ask everyones opinion.
    AKShawn

Default Teeth poppin Sow

We have a black sow with last years cubs hanging around and she would pop her teeth as she knew we were in the stand, she would circle around us popping her teeth while the two cubs would come into the bait and eat. She acted like she had two teenagers that would not listen to her as she tried to get them off the bait and leave.

I have heard more black pop their teeth than browns. The browns I have seen come in are usually huffing. Just my 2 cents
    Jess
    Bait Em 907
    Bear Bait & Moose Lure Company
    www.baitem907.com
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bait-E...56572604387163

Just before I shot my Cinny this year I heard him sniffing and then he exhaled real loud. Now after I shot him my hunting partner was saying "Do you hear him pooping his teeth?", so we heard both LOL! Im gonna say it was a Blackie. Next time that happens squirt or spray some anise it will mask your scent for sure.

Thats funny...most everyone says black. I am surprised to hear that, I would have guessed grizz. I have found a lot of fuzzy blonde fur around the bait,so thats why I said that. My wife took her black bear 15 minutes after a grizz walked though so I wasn't sure of what it might have been. My buddy was the one hunting over the bait, with me being the "water taxi" up to the bait. He is a little jittery, so I wasnt too concerned if it was a black or grizz. Just curious what all else thought of what it may be.

Shawn
    AKShawn

As others said most likely a black bear, I hear them popping their teeth quite often when sitting at my stand. Usually it is from the sows in most cases. I've had only one experience with a grizz at my site and he came in huffing and puffing...seems they are more vocal and less cautious when coming in to bait.

It could be either. I had a grizz popping his teeth at me last fall on my archery grizz hunt and had another grizz sow with cubs up at my cabin popping her teeth after she walked up to where my buddy had just took a leak off the deck. And then my son and I had a blackie on our bait when a second one came in and she started popping her teeth at him.
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

I've never seen a brown bear that didn't march right into the bait. Never see a shy 1. They cruise right in and chow down, don't hide in the bushes.

In my experience dealing with lots of browns on my bait, a big brown will usually let you know hes coming from a long ways out, they huff and puff the whole way in, and usually just come storming in. I cant ever remember hearing a brown pop its jaws. Blacks a lot of time will sit outside the bait in the tree line and sniff a lot and when they catch your scent will pop jaws and bluff charge things. probably one out of 10 browns will hold up and be silent and thats usually a small one. This of course is not the rule just what I have noticed. I would guess it was a blacky.

Both will pop. Holding up close and popping sounds like a blackie. Had a medium sow griz w/2 year old cub come in popping her jaws. Popped them the whole way in, starting bout 100 yards out, then popped at her pup when she heard me move to get him outta there.