Thread: Some inflatable questions

Default Some inflatable questions

For those that run bilge pumps. Are you just sticking it down through the floor? It would be nice to find one that uses a hose and foot valve so water can't come back in through the transom hole.

Are you guys carrying a hand bilge pump? I understand why most do. Although with the one way transom valve, bilge pump, and bailing bucket. I see it as more of a waste of space. I like being safe on the water but don't want to kill all of my useable room.

Do you guys carry oars? My dad thinks I should, while I insist they aren't necessary as it would be pretty difficult to row it anyways.

Just looking for some insight before mine is seaworthy.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBroncoII View Post
    For those that run bilge pumps. Are you just sticking it down through the floor? It would be nice to find one that uses a hose and foot valve so water can't come back in through the transom hole.

Are you guys carrying a hand bilge pump? I understand why most do. Although with the one way transom valve, bilge pump, and bailing bucket. I see it as more of a waste of space. I like being safe on the water but don't want to kill all of my useable room.

Do you guys carry oars? My dad thinks I should, while I insist they aren't necessary as it would be pretty difficult to row it anyways.

Just looking for some insight before mine is seaworthy.

My bilge pump is mounted to the floor in the right rear corner with the hose plumbed out and over the corner of the transom.

My boat pumps double as water pumps...just pull the hose and switch to the other nipple. I carry buckets cause they are easy to store...one for jigs/lures, one for bait/whatever, and one for a drift sock.

I carry a paddle...not likely to row this thing and really don`t want huge oars eating space.

I use a D battery operated bilge pump if i was running long distances i would also have a 1 gallon milk carton with bottom cut out as bailing scoop.batteries die. I have had water deep enough to flow over top of transom very rough launch.
    OARS OR PADDLES - YES a must in my book. motors fail, mounted oars work pretty good . now ad ays my inflatble use is as a dingy for my larger boat. i carry a couple canoe paddles and they are used to get that last few feet to shore as to not slide into sharp rocks or barnicles. going out to get far enough out to lower motor.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

I have two bilge pumps wires in and both of them are mounted to the hull and towards the transom where most of the water congregates. I also carry a hand pump but not sure if I would ever use it, much easier to bail water and or pull the plug once on step. I do carry to long oars/paddles and use them quite often to shove off the bottom and or shore and docks when I come ashore or am leaving shore or when I happen to misjudge mud flats and ground out and need to get a little more depth before starting her back up.

Ok I am a bit slow today and finally realized you are talking inflatables! I just use mine as a dingy and have no pump and do use oars but ti is pretty small.

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    My bilge pump is mounted to the floor in the right rear corner with the hose plumbed out and over the corner of the transom.

My boat pumps double as water pumps...just pull the hose and switch to the other nipple. I carry buckets cause they are easy to store...one for jigs/lures, one for bait/whatever, and one for a drift sock.

I carry a paddle...not likely to row this thing and really don`t want huge oars eating space.
    Post up a pic if you can. I don't like the idea of just dropping the pump through the floor. I'm thinking about using a transfer pump instead and a hose shoved under my floor.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBroncoII View Post
    Post up a pic if you can. I don't like the idea of just dropping the pump through the floor. I'm thinking about using a transfer pump instead and a hose shoved under my floor.

Thats what I did works good. I think I will mount the switch up on the motor somwhere cause mounted on the battery box they corrode very easy.
    As far as paddles it depends on how big of an inflatable you have I have a 16' and there is no way I could make any headway in much current, mounted oars on the other hand I think would work ok. I do carry one of those telescoping hooks for my grabing my shrimp pot bouys that I somtime use to push off of shore and what not.
    Just a s a safty precaution I usually carry a sea anchor incase I loose power you can still keep your bow into the waves if its rough out.

found a pump. It's like a bilge pump but has an adapter bolted on to adapt to a hose. Rated at 500 gal per hour. Will also use as a wash down. Still up in the air about the oars.

Default rule slime line pump

Look up rule slime line pump http://www.westmarine.com/1/1/31664-...-pump-kit.html
    In-line pump & works as a bilge pump. Has aligator clips for the battery, or if you buy the fancy one it has a battery pack & will store a charge.
    One oar is always nice to have to push off from shore, in the shallows or keep of the rocks with.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Interesting topic about bilge pumps in an inflatable…. I have a 15 ft Zodiac but I don’t have a charging circuit on my 25 hp Johnson yet so haven’t even worried about a bilge pump. I plan on buying one of those collapsible buckets like they sell at REI…. Figured it would store easy and work for bailing if needed.

My Zodiac has ore locks, but they are pretty much useless…. I do bring both of the original wood ores as they secure easily and are out of the way in their mounting slots. Also nice to know that you have enough seasoned dry wood on hand to get a fire started if need be….
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Default Dinghy Thoughts

One thing I've noticed with the Alaska Series tender I keep on top my Shamrock is the oarlocks and other fittings are gouging the fibreglass. I kept an Achilles on top my Osprey for years without noticing anything going on and after only two seasons of use, I'm wishing I spent the extra money now for an Achilles. The material on the Alaska Series must be made of harder stuff, not a worry for the tin boat crowd but of interest for the glass boat bunch.

Oh, not to start an argument about inboards vs. outboards but one thing really worth it is dingy davits for loading and offloading but you have to have a clear swimstep. I had a 10' Sorenson hard bottom with 15 hp Johnson on a past boat mounted on dingy davits that was the best dinghy and setup I've ever had. I have dinghy davits on my current boat but only use them for getting on/off the dinghy as it gets in the way of fishing. No worries about getting on or off with any thing of value, including your kids.

I run full-size (read as real oars) on all of the sportboat rentals. I provide two... unlike all the raft rentals that get 3 oars. The case being that a third oar on a river trip is a spare, while a pair of oars on a sportboat is back-up.

Absolutely believe in a reliable oar package!!!! Control, stability, and person power in some direction if needed.

Bilge pump selection would be manual or D-cell Battery set-up... these are the lightest and most versatile.

If you use either type of bilge --- put it in the left corner of the stern if you drive tiller w/ left hand seated to right of outboard. Here you make circling turn left, and water will collect more in the left corner. Body position is therefore leaned forward having your center of mass into the boat for a safer more efficient bail.

Bailing bucket of choice is an old cut-off laundry detergent jug or milk jug.

The drain baskets with diaphragms at the stern for a sportboat should be kept clean, in good repair, and have working plugs on cord.