Thread: first bear w/ bow and over bait

Default first bear w/ bow and over bait

Last week I was thinking about picking up the station, but I put out a little bit more bait and got a couple hits. Last night I went out, it started to rain pretty hard and I didnt know how much bears would move much in the rain. I also was not keen on losing a bear due to rained out blood trail. I had never shot a bear with a bow and friends tell me their hair can clot an arrow wound pretty quickly so you lose blood trail on a good day. I was about to pack it up when a bear came in and started to chow without hesitation. It was a decent bear so I took the shot. It went about 25-30 yards and passed. There was only one good spot of blood on the way to the dead bear. I guess what my friend had told me is true, at least in the case.
    Glad I had practiced shooting with the bow from my roof to be sure I could make the shot from a stand.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very nice bear, I took one a few years back with a black face like yours. Congrats!!!

Steve

nice bear...even better that you took it with a bow!

Ak trout

"I Envy Him And Him Only, That Catches More Fish Than I Do" Izaac Walton 1653
    The question of hunting is not a matter of life or death... it's more important than that

Great looking bear and congratulations!
    I can just picture you on the rooftop... plow sucker
    Jess
    Bait Em 907
    Bear Bait & Moose Lure Company
    www.baitem907.com
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bait-E...56572604387163

Beautiful Job dude. Hey did you atleast clean your gutters while up on the roof? LOL! seriously! how big was the skull?

Wink picture for you jesse

Do you recognize anything here?
    thanks
    Haven't measured the skull yet Daniel...as a matter of fact I did clean the gutters )
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Burke; 06-20-2010 at 22:44. Reason: add

Too cool! Congrats on a fine bear! Yeah in my experience bears dont leave the best blood trails. I always get worried after arrowing one because where I bait the brush is VERY thick. Making a tracking job very tricky...

Thumbs up

Great job, Burke!

I salute your persistence. It paid off!

Taylor

-[]--------->

Excellent! Congrats on a job well done! I'm still trying for my first as well. Maybe this weekend. Then I'll be done.

Default skull measurement

Daniel in AK
    I dont know much about bear skull sizes but I got it sealed and they measured it at
    17 4/16ths. He said pretty good for a sow. She also had pretty big feet, at least I thought. I had it pegged for a boar. Several days worth of trail camera pics coming to bait all by itself. She came in confidently each time. If i had know, maybe I would have waited to see if she would draw big daddy in for breeding. When we skinned it, it looked like she might have been starting estrus. Felt kinda bad about taking a sow...I guess it happens.

The teeth were worn kinda funny... upper front worn to the gums, broken tips on the canines, but molars and back teeth not so much, wisdom teeth were worn quite a bit. The taxidermist couldnt tell the age, but he seemed to think it was mature, maybe between 5 and 10 years old. He was guessing. Pretty big range though, I am curious to see what the age was.

Congrats Burke - well done.
    I have arrowed several blackies and I can say there has never been a very good ( if any ) blood trail even on solid hits. Found a couple by smell - they remind me of a wet lab - kinda makes the hair stand up in the dark when you smell one and can't see it yet!
    Don't feel too badly about the sow - I have a couple beautiful sow rugs and they need to be culled too from time to time....
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by Burke View Post
    Daniel in AK
    I dont know much about bear skull sizes but I got it sealed and they measured it at
    17 4/16ths. He said pretty good for a sow. She also had pretty big feet, at least I thought. I had it pegged for a boar. Several days worth of trail camera pics coming to bait all by itself. She came in confidently each time. If i had know, maybe I would have waited to see if she would draw big daddy in for breeding. When we skinned it, it looked like she might have been starting estrus. Felt kinda bad about taking a sow...I guess it happens.

The teeth were worn kinda funny... upper front worn to the gums, broken tips on the canines, but molars and back teeth not so much, wisdom teeth were worn quite a bit. The taxidermist couldnt tell the age, but he seemed to think it was mature, maybe between 5 and 10 years old. He was guessing. Pretty big range though, I am curious to see what the age was.
    I shot a sow almost identical to the one you're describing. I would have sworn she was a boar the way she walked in. Big blocky head and shoulders, teeth gnawed down to the gums, and just a big old bear overall.

Default Educated brownies

Quote Originally Posted by Burke View Post
    Do you recognize anything here?
    thanks
    Haven't measured the skull yet Daniel...as a matter of fact I did clean the gutters )
    Did not know that brownies could read
    Dan

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Congrats Burke, looks like a nice bear. glad to hear you stuck it out some times that persistence pays off in the end of the season...

i remember seeing in the paper a few years back a young fellow, stuck it out and got his first hit the last weekend of the season, and scored a record book bear for it....

good job!
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Congrats

Congrats on a fine bear. To take it with a bow makes it an even better bear.

Glad to see hard work pay off.