Thread: 30' osprey

Default 30' osprey

I am looking for a little help. I am boat shopping and I have found what looks like a great deal on a 30' Osprey. It has twin 270hp Volvo gas v-8s with low hours. I've been torn between an Osprey and a Kingfisher and really haven't been looking for this big of a boat. What would be the pros and cons of going to this size of boat? Towing, maintenace, economy of operation, anything else?

Your input will be appreciated, Randy

A guy up the street owned a boat exactly like you are describing. He moved out of state maybe 6-7 years ago and had a hell of a time trying to sell it. Last I heard he was turning it over for a lease to a charter but then I heard a couple close to Big Lake bought it.
    Anyhow, owner loved the boat in the ocean but the fuel mileage was absolutely terrible. He told me depending on how many people he had on board, running speed, etc he used between 30 and 50 gallons of gas per hour. It was a beast to tow. I wouldnt even consider it without a dually diesel 1 ton truck.
    Tennessee

The Ospreywill ride better but I bet their is more usable space in a King fisher. For e it would depend on what the boat was going to be used for more. I have a 26' kingfisher and it works great for what I do. I usally do day trips but do stay a few nights from time to time on it. If I was doing more overnighters I would want a larger boat or one with a smaller fishing deck and larger cabin.

Default 30' osprey

You are giving me good help. I am planning on calling some Osprey dealers tomorrow to check on fuel consumption. I absolutely do not want a fuel pig. It is very nice to decide to run another few miles and not feel like it is going to cost a day's pay. Right now, my tow vehicle is a 3/4ton chevy with a 6.0 engine. So, that is a concern.

What do you tow that 26' Kingfisher with? And do you want to sell it?

Towing a 30' glass boat on a regular basis is a pretty ambitious endeavor. As others have said, you'll need a hefty truck. No matter what you tow with, be prepared go through lots of fuel. I have a Kingfisher (2825) and I don't tow it very far very often. I tow it with a Chevy Silverado 1500 6.0 VMax. If I was towing all the time, I'd get something bigger. I got about 6 mpg from Anchorage to Homer. My boat is pretty well equipped and sitting on the trailer the package weighs about 11000# give or take. That Osprey will weigh 15000# on the trailer. You could tow it with your 3/4 ton, but you'd be at the upper limit of that vehicle, just like I am with mine. Now, for the good part. I've never been on one, but I'll bet the 30' model is super nice ride. When you get into the 28-30 foot area, the beams are around 10' or more. This makes for a really stable boat. Any boat that size is spendy to operate.

I have a 24 Osprey with the same motor and I get 12-14 gallons an hour fuel consumption so it may be safe to double that on the twins for the 30. The ospreys are excellent handling and are very safe. The 30 has a large flat deck so it fishes well. I assume you know that Osprey is no longer in business and was bought by Seasport and they are now also going or out of business. I think the 30 is one of the best Alaska boats out there but as someone else posted none of the boats in ghat size are cheap to operate.

I have a 3/4 ton GMC with the 6.0L gas and my boat is similar in size and weight to the Osprey, so you can tow it, but it won't be plesant. I just hauled my boat back from Whittier today and went through 1/2 take of gas at 6.8MPG. The Osprey's are great boats, but the gas motor boats are a lot harder to sell than the ones with the diesels in them. A few years ago before prices really dropped I saw a gas motor boat in the 80K range whereas a diesel sold up here for about 120K. The up side to the gas motor is that it really flies. I think something like 40kts.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Default Nods to the Osprey

Went out on a 30 or 32ft Osprey two years ago. Thank GOD he told me to take care of food and bait costs and he'd pick up the fuel costs. I bought everything I could think of and more for four people over three days and left every darn bit of it for him. I cooked, baited hooks, cleaned fish, cleaned dishes, cleaned up the boat and was Johnny on the spot. Good thing, too. He knocked out $1275 in diesel to feed the twins...on a three day cruise...no kidding.

I've got a pretty good job and I couldn't afford the fuel even if he just HANDED ME THE KEYS. I may not be the brightest bulb in the pack but it sure woke me up to figuring in the operating costs for one's boat PRIOR to figure the bottom line price. A great deal on a 30ft Osprey may just sink you in operating costs!

BTW, the Osprey gave new insight to the the term luxury fishing vessel. That monster made 10ft Gulf swells look like nothing. Hell, our wake was probably more intimidating than most of the waves we saw that weekend...

All that I can say is BE CAREFUL--this good deal may be too good to be true...

IceKing02

I happen to think the 30' Osprey is a very nice boat. I'm sure you'd find it to be fast, comfortable and capable. But I'm also sure you'd find your fuel costs to be very high.

There's a reason folks tend to put diesels in boats this size and weight--the diesels' greater fuel efficiency. I've got a 30' SeaSport with twin diesels. I get around 1.3 to 1.4 nm per gallon cruising at 27 kts. My guess is that the 30' Osprey with twin gas engines would only get around 1 nm per gallon.

My family's big boat is a 31' Uniflite with twin Mercruiser 350s rated at 270HP each. We get 1.1 nmpg no matter what.

You don't want to tow a boat like that unless you get the GMC/Chevy Kodiak or equivalent Ford 450/550 Dodge 4500/5500. A few guys do this here in Juneau. There are also a few guys who tow boats with 1 ton vehicles but I have seen those get pushed around by 27 and 28' fiberglass boats going down the ramp. come to think of it sometimes the angle of approach/departure comming off the ramp can get you on a long trailer.

Sobie2

Default Fuel burn & towing

I have a 26 LC, 2003 with a 280 hp Volvo Penta with Duoprop out drive gas and at 3500 rpm I see 30 mph with a fuel burn of about 2.5 gph in less than 3 ft seas. I would think that about 1.25 gph might be right for that boat. A trip to Montague from Seward runs about 250 to 300 dollars. With everything in it on the trailer I think I weigh in at about 9,000 lbs. the first few years I trailered the boat to Whittier & Seward but recently I rent storage in Seward. I pull mine with a Chevy 3/4 ton HD with tow package and the 6.6 Duramax diesel and Allison transmission. I think that boat would be about 15,000 lbs and that would, by the book max out my rig. If I owned a 30, I would tow twice a year and put it in a slip.

As far as the Osprey experience goes even my 26 lc had no trouble keeping a 30 mph cruise last Thursday & Friday with 4 to 5 ft swells and 1 to 2 ft chop on top. The hull is unique and is designed to be very efficient in open seas. That experience was all smiles
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ocnfish, that's a beautiful fish.

Concernings my original post, There is a screaming deal in New Jersey on a 30' Osprey, but cost of operation is very important to me and the input I I recieved here makes me think that both in towing and fuel consumption, I would have a problem. So, I think I will scratch that idea.

Thanks very much you guys.

Default Quality vs quantity

My whole summer trip schedule has evolved due to operating cost, prep time before, and clean up after. Going out all the time has changed to once yearly traditional trips and meat runs. I start with a shrimp trip, a halibut trip to Homer, then wait until Seward gets rollin' with the silvers. Quality of trips is more important than quantity. I actually save money and preserve the condition of my boat if I use it less, I actually spend some quality time maintaining it. Before when I went out almost every weekend I never got around to cleaning it as well as I should or doing some needed fix here and there. After a long weekend trip I need a good day to clean it up and put it away properly, this does not leave me motivated to go out again right away.

The gas and scrubbing a big boat requires is why they say the larger they are the less they get used.

Quote Originally Posted by ocnfish View Post
    I have a 26 LC, 2003 with a 280 hp Volvo Penta with Duoprop out drive gas and at 3500 rpm I see 30 mph with a fuel burn of about 2.5 gph in less than 3 ft seas. I would think that about 1.25 gph might be right for that boat.
    I think you may have meant MPG, not GPH...
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Default Yea ... Yea ... yea

Did this post after my second glass of wine .... thanks ... of course you are right

Quote Originally Posted by idakfisher View Post
    screaming deal in New Jersey on a 30' Osprey
    I realize you backed away from this one, but just a little shipping info on a boat that size: Commercial transportation from NJ to AK would run $15K plus. Maybe you made a wise choice for more than one reason. Don't give up. Keep looking.

Default check it out

The operating cost on this one would be less than my gas powered version

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa/1797972237.html

not a 30 but feels like one ...