Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best silver rod mainly for artificials? Lami? Browning?

Default Best silver rod mainly for artificials? Lami? Browning?

I am going to be fishing mainly the rivers in the mat-su area bank fishing (one guided trip) and some other highway areas targeting silvers (don't mind chums pinks etc.). I would like to mainly use artificials like vibrax and pixies, but I will use bait if I need to. I want an ideal rod for spinners because i have a conventional set-up that should be fine for bait. It'll be paired with a daiwa spinning reel with one spool of 30-40# barid and one spool of 14-17# mono. What rod would you suggest? I really like the way graphite rods feel and cast, so I don't really like ugly sticks, but i will go that route if it is needed. I am really looking at the Lamiglass g1000 series and the Northwest specials and Rogue River Special...I like the lifetime warranty and I've found the G1000 for 130. I do not want to spend over 150. Here are the models that I'm looking at.
    Lamiglass

http://www.lamiglas.com/prod_indiv.php?groupid=14

1) G1000 SeriesLamiglas G1311 mh (10-20#) 8"6 + Parellel Northwset Special
    http://www.lamiglas.com/prod_indiv.php?groupid=15

2) Rougue River Special RR86MTS medium/mag action 10-25#
    http://www.lamiglas.com/prod_indiv.php?groupid=44

Also, considering the cheaper graphite rods like the Browning and Berkely. loomis is way out of my price range and the st. Croixs that are affordable to me only have a 2 year warranty so i can't justify their cost. I definitely would not mind spending less!

3) Berkly Air IM7
    http://www.berkley-fishing.com/prod....p=PURA94-10-6N

4) A94-9MH9A10-201/2-1 1/29'0"2MH94.954) Browning® Fishing Six Rivers Salmon/Steelhead Spinning Rods

$49.99 38-140-306-00 8-17 LB
    1/4-5/8 OZ 8' 6" M
    HANDLE A SR86MT-2 $49.99 38-140-308-00 10-20 LB
    3/8-1 OZ 8' 6" MH 10-20lb
    HANDLE A SR86MHT-2
    Any other suggestions?
    Thanks for the help.

8-17lb range is my choice. You start to loose action, and castability (if you will) above that for a proper Silver Lure....ah heck #5 Vibrax no like it is a secret or anything. 12lb test on the above rod range tosses spinners with ease. I personally would look for a 9'6" but the 8'6"'s work just fine.

Default Silver Rod

Forget the Lamiglas... I (clients) busted 4 Lamiglas rods last year, admittedly, one would have broke if it were made of steel... so make that 3 while fishing.

It might cost a little bit more, but I think you will be very pleased with G-Loomis 8-17# rods. Great warrantee and great rods. Trustworthy Hardware in Soldotna has the best prices in Alaska, so if you are not in the area, it might be worth waiting until you get here... assuming you will be coming to the Kenai Peninsula (you could almost pay for your gas in the savings at Trustworthy!).

Another less expensive option is Temple Fork Outfitters. Though I haven't seen or used their spinning/casting rods, I have been very pleased with their fly rods. I believe that they are available through Cabelas or BassPro or other online outfits. They also have a $25 replacement guarantee. Worth looking at...

I just love them ugly sticks!!!!

Default El Cheapo

Quote Originally Posted by gusdog44 View Post
    I just love them ugly sticks!!!!
    For an inexpensive rod you cannot beat an ugly stick. I once had a Berkley lightening rod with an Ambassador bait casting reel. I love it and I used it to catch, pike, trout, dollies, and all five salmon. Now I am sporting a 8'6" Fred Meyer special, I'd have to go home and get my hands on it to get the brand name. Im partial to the cheap rods because I hate to hear the crunch of a GLoomis or Lamaglass rod inside a tailgate. I have owned expensive rods and I find the cheap rods do the exact same thing. A good real is more important.

Once you get the rod and reel I recommend 15lbs test Maxim Chameleon. 1/2 ounce pixee's and a 12 pack of your favorite brew.

With your budget I'd buy a Lamiglas G-1000 Medium in 8'6". That's a great all-around rod. You'll have trouble tossing lighter spinners with the Med-Heavy. I really like the G-1000 rods for the money. I have several. I've broken a couple but it wasn't the rod's fault in either case.

You should be able to find a Loomis GL2 1024 or 1025 in that price range. They're good rods.

Last summer i bought a St. Croix wildriver medium/heavy 8'6" spinning
    (8-17) for throwing vibrax spinners, i think the rod was around $120. I put shimano stradic 2500 on it, at first i thought the reel would be a bit small, but it stood up quite nicely to a few random kings that went 20+. I used 20 lb powerpro which seems to increases sensitivity by more than double over regular braided lines and mono, but if you get into a lot of snags it's very hard to just pull and break the line, if you can't get your lure loose you may need a knife to just cut the line. I bought the rod expecting to catch some kings on it, if i were going to just get it for silvers i'd go with the medium.

Something to consider would be to wait and buy the rod up here. I've broken Lamiglas rods that were purchased at Fred Meyer and all I had to do was take it to the store and they handed me a new rod right there. That could be handy if you're visiting and don't want to wait while your rod is returned to the factory. Other stores probably offer the same advantage.

My two broken Lamiglas rods were broken by kneeling on one and by stepping on the other. Stuff happens. There was no dispute from Freddy's about replacements.

Default Lami, St.Croix or G-Loomis

I have rods from all three makes and love them all. Personally I feel my Lami G-1000 series rod is bullet proof, however not as sensitive as the St. Croix Wild River or G-Loomis G2 series I have.

Ugly Sticks are tough, but are like fishing with a broom handle. I own half a dozen of them, but they are FFR rods. (Friends/Family/Relatives).

I bought my only G-Loomis rod last season and it is perhaps the finest rod Iv'e fished with yet. I don't think you can go wrong with the three above mentioned makes.

As far as size....

I would go minimum 8' with a line size of 8-17# for silvers. Forget about the braid, and go with a good clear mono in 12-15# and you'll be fine. Use Flourocarbon for leaders when fishing bait and remember sometimes when line stretches it's a good thing.....

Default Shimano Clarus

I HAVE USED THEM ALL. This is what I use now a shimano clarus CSS86M-2 medium weight fast action 8-17 lb rod 8ft6in. This rod has now lasted me three seasons of intense abuse, and caught hundreds of fish, including approx 75 kings up to 65lbs (in fast water) several hundred reds on the russian and lower kenai, several hundred silvers from salt to fresh, and numerous dogs and pinks this rod has been used and very abused, and is still catching fish. The action is fantastic, the sensitivity is incredible and the strength is top notch I couldn't believe how hard I leaned on some of my kings and kenai reds and it handled beautifully. This rod has made me fall in love hard core. Best of all you can get it in cabelas for only about $75 so if you do slam it in the tailgate it won't be unreplaceable, though it might break your heart. and shimano does guarantee it!

Ugly stick and lamiglass are my favorite. Tough and strong one draw back is feel.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I agree with Alaskafishguides. I too use a G-Lommis 8-17# rod. You spend a little more, but it is an absolute awesome rod. The warrantee is good. Loomis will overnight you a rod if you break the one you own. This may be a little inconvient compared to going to the store and getting a replacement. Personally I feel what you get out of the rod it is worth it. #4 or #5 Vibrax is the spinner of choice. Pick a color. I also use a fly rod for silvers as well. If you get the opportunity to experment with a fly rod while in Alaska for Silvers. I recommend it.

I use the Lamiglas Kenia special for all my salmon fishing. G 1314-T (baitcasters). I have two of them. They make spinning rods in this model too.

One has a spidercast reel with 65# spiderwire stealth. That is my new baby. Bought them this spring at the Wasilla Outdoors and More 50% off sale. Got the rod for $99 and the reel for $125. It casts like a dream. Even with my favorite #4 Vibraxes.

The other one I have had for 18 years and it has caught all five salmon including a couple hundred kings and a 136 pound halibut. It has a abu garcia C4 reel and 30 pound mono. My second oldest uses this rod. He is good at casting with this setup. He landed a couple pinks and a chum this summer. He lost a couple silvers on it. I have him use #5 spinners to help a little with casting. He just turned six this winter.

There are a lot of rods that will work well for silvers including the ones you mentioned and the other replies here. Possibly more important than rod choice is reel choice. Get a good reel. And best of luck with your fishing.

Default Still undecided

Thanks for all of the replies guys, clarified some things but also very confused, I have reallized that Ineed a lighter rod action than the rods i originally posted. I will be buying 2 rods that my father and I will share. The one that I've decided on is the Shimano Clarus--60 dollars and lifetime warranty!

However, for the "very good rod" I am still not sure. I guess that I am debating between the:
    1) G-loomis GL2 STR1025S Steelhead. is this the loomis that people are mentioning?
    GL2 Evergreen 8'6" 8 - 17 3/8 - 1 Fast Med-Heavy 27
    http://products.gloomis.com/gl/produ...=1169952620287
    2)Lamiglas G-1000 Series

G 1313-S
    8’ 6”
    3/8-1 1/2
    8-17
    Ex Fast
    Med/Mag
    Mag Taper

http://www.lamiglas.com/prod_indiv.php?id=14

3) St. Croix Premier
    AS86MHF2 8' 6" MH Fast 2 8 - 17 3/8 - 1 1/4

http://www.stcroixrods.com/rods/defa...7&section=spin

I want this rod to be able to cast those 4-5 vibrax spinners well, yet still be able to cast bait/eggs if the bite is tough + durability and lightness is important. I realize that anything outside of an ugly can't be stepped on or dropped, but I don't want to be scared of the rod snapping while fighting a fish properly. I'm surprised to hear the durability issue with the lamis b/c their surf rod sare known to be durable and people swear by them here. The only reason why I'm willing to pay this kind of money is because any of the se rods should be great a surf rod for tossiing the light stuff in the surf on the east coast when I'm not salmon fishing. BTW, I've found all of these rods for as low as 160. It'll be matcher with a daiwa tierra 4000.

also, my question is whether these lami's, loomis's or st. croixs are really that much better than the berkely or shimano clarus IM7's?

That looks like a good reel. Says it comes with an extra spool. Fill one with berkely trilene 17-20 pound test and the other with 30-50 pound spiderwire stealth.

Seems like you have narrowed the rod search own a little. All good rods to be sure. I would say you can't go wrong with the Lamiglas.

Btw my dads favorite king rod is a lamiglas 7' G1000 series 6-12 pound line rated spinning rod with trilene XL 17 pound test and has caught many (hundreds) kings on it. It also makes a killer silver rod.

Quote Originally Posted by chinookhead View Post
    However, for the "very good rod" I am still not sure. I guess that I am debating between the:
    1) G-loomis GL2 STR1025S Steelhead. is this the loomis that people are mentioning?
    GL2 Evergreen 8'6" 8 - 17 3/8 - 1 Fast Med-Heavy 27
    You absolutely won't go wrong with this rod. IMO they are lighter and better balanced for those all day trips and the feel makes a world of difference. Now to add to the Trustworthy in Soldotna comment, they are the only place that offers $50 towards the purchase of that new loomis rod in exchange for an old but still usable clunker. I have been told that people go in, buy a $15-20 rod and then turn it in for the $50 credit but haven't done it myself. From what I understand the rods that are turned in for the credit are donated to less fortunate kids so they may have an oppertunity to learn to fish. You get an awesome new rod at the same time donating for a youngster. I don't see how you could go wrong.

Ugly stick
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Shimano clarus vs. gloomis and rod length?

That shimano clarus looks really good at 69 bucks! IM7 graphite and aluminum oxide guides like the g-loomis and weighs 6.4 oz vs the loomis 5.6 (not much). The only real advantage that I see with teh llomis is the fact that the loomis is probably spined (both have lifetime warranties).

Therefore, I'm at least getting one clarus and possibly 2 for me and my father. I'm debating whether to go with a longer rod for the 2nd one or to just stick with 8"6. Guys have mentioned longer rods "if u can find one"...can someone give an example of a longer rod that will be good for silvers? It seems like most longer rods are either too light or too heavy. I've always liked longer rods but I reallize that they can be a disadvantage if the banks are heavily wooded and the casting is tight for whatever reason (deep water at shore etc.) or if this will tire me out. The rods that I've seen are the:

1)St. Croix Wild River

WC96MHF2 9' 6" MH Fast 2 8 - 17 3/8 - 1/1/4 6.9 5

2) St. Croix Avid

ASLG90MHF2 9' MH Fast 2 8 - 17 3/8 - 1/1/4 5.1 8 $190.00

3) G-loomis

STR1265S 10'6" 10 - 20 3/8 - 1 1/2
    I'll be fishing the little susitana, clear creek, sheep creek, sunshine etc. so are the casting quarters tight in tehse rivers and do you guys prefer the 8"6? Of course things are subjective just looking for opinins and I will try to see these rods in person if posiible. BTW, I could have a custom built at just for price of parts (friend's a rod builder)..the only disadvantage of this is that only blank will be warrantied.

Default Temple Fork Rods?

This Temle fork rod also looks interesting with it's no fault warranty, but I'm a little scared of a 4 piece rod. Anyone use these temple fork rods?

TFS 904MH 8—17 1/4—1 oz 9'-0" 4 Pc. Med. Heavy TiCr² Spinning $134.95
    http://www.templeforkflyrods.com/con...pinning.html#T

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast