Thread: Big Game Adventures

Default Big Game Adventures

How many of you subscribe to this magazine?

I found this magazine about five years ago and fell in love with it. Based in Canada, good writers, lots of stories. I like that it has many stories about animals that I hunt or would like to. No bass fishing or food plot suggestions just Big Game Hunting. Only comes out quarterly and lends itself towards trophy hunting but thats what sells. The editors seem to be down to earth about the quality of the hunt not the trophy. Best hunting magazine going in my opinion.

With around 40 articles on hunting in each issue it is a great magazine. I keep it by my nightstand to read a article every night. Even the ads are fun to read since most are for hunting lodges or guides.

Default Agreed

The other great thing about this mag. is that the stories run straight through. There is never a cont. on page 235 or whatever. This is the only mag. that I have ever seen that does this.

When I first found this magazine I really liked it, great stories about real hunts, not "Which bullet is right for you" type articles where the opinion changes monthly anyway. The last few issues of this magazine though I thumbed through and read very few stories then tossed it in them in the trash. They have turned to writing stories about canned hunts alot of them in Saskatchewan and I don't find them entertaining. One of the guys I who wrote stories there was Steve Rhan and he had some good hunts and I liked them but I see he has purchased some kind of game ranch and is pushing these type of hunts. It really sucks that they have had to take this path. One example of this is a Dr. who killed a bull elk they guessed to be 2nd biggest in SCI. He said "The tension in the blind broke as you could hear our echoes of joy resonate through the woods. I simply exhaled w/ a big sigh as the stress in my body left as quikly as it entered." I say what stress that elk came out to an alfalfa field that day just like every day before the Dr. showed up and in a 1000 acre area he wasn't going anywhere he was fenced in. There is still some good stories and pictures but canned hunt stories don't interest me.

I've had a subscription with them for the past five years. Once this subscription runs out, I'm done with it. I don't care about high fence hunts and I don't carry a high interest for the African hunts, most of which are high fence as well.

I subscribe and like this magazine quite a bit. Only downside to this magazine, is that every time in comes in the mail the cover page is almost ripped off.

i'm with the other two posters, most the hunts they write about aren't things i'm interested in. they do have the occasional fun hunt, but i don't wanna read about brittingham ever again or fenced hunts in the us or anywhere else for that matter. its almost like reading SCI's Safari magazine sometimes. but i gotta say theres an add in BGA for Stephan Lake Lodge or Kodiak guides has pictures of four bears in it....good looking guy in one of those pics...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

What are some of your other favorite magazines?

Rifle, Handloader and Successful Hunter. My favorite mags right there.

Thumbs up favorite hunting magazines

By far and away I enjoy Eastman's Hunting Magazine and Eastman's Bowhunting Magazine. The focus entirely on western big game hunting and no high fences. Lots of stories on DIY hunts, including Alaska hunts. Most of the stories are submitted by other subscribers.

They have also added some columns recently that address gear issues.

If you subscribe to the magazines there is a special section not included in the rack issues that goes into more detail on gear and they also address application procedures for western states.

Thumbs up right on...

Quote Originally Posted by henleun View Post
    By far and away I enjoy Eastman's Hunting Magazine and Eastman's Bowhunting Magazine. The focus entirely on western big game hunting and no high fences. Lots of stories on DIY hunts, including Alaska hunts. Most of the stories are submitted by other subscribers.

They have also added some columns recently that address gear issues.

If you subscribe to the magazines there is a special section not included in the rack issues that goes into more detail on gear and they also address application procedures for western states.
    +1 Henleun.
    I like Eastman's too. The things I've read and seen are nose to the grindstone, fair chase, tough hunts.
    Great magazine and show.
    Always beautiful country.

Frank

Default Oh, Great!

Well, you guys just burst my bubble! I just signed on for a year of Big Game Adventures. Came with two VHS tapes (I know, I know... but they were out of 8-track). Well, I guess I'd have to say that my two favorite mags are Sports Afield (shoulda renewed that one), and "Firearms That Make My Butt Look Big" by BRWNBR.

Heh

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

LOL thanks mike...i'm gonna make a series...batins producing it, should be out in about 20 years!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Wink Gray's Sporting Journal

Traditions edited by Will Ryan, a good column. Hunting stories from the past from all over the United States. Still hunting in Maine , to duck hunting in the 1700's. Fair chase in the good old day's, when all you needed was a compass, old boots , rifle, knife,woolins, and you were good to go . Bill.
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

Hunting The West Magazine. a "new" publication devoted to the western states, including Alaska. I am biased as a good friend is the editor, but it is a great mag.....

I second 375 on Hunting the West. I started getting it a few months ago and it is a quality mag. Also realy like Bowhunter Magazine.