Thread: thorne bay w\o 8-22

Default thorne bay w\o 8-22

2 retired and 2 younger guys are going to prince of wales the last week of august we have 2 salt charters scheduled would like some advice on fishing the rivers around thorne bay wondering if there are canoes available and if anyone has a suggestion on which river to float for a day thanks roger

Default River info

Spent 10 days or so in Thorne bear hunting and fishing about 3 years ago. So very limited knowledge, but the Thorne River had some beautiful water. I am not sure about the canoe but if you call Jim at McFarland's Floatel, he may have one to rent. If not I would rent his Suburban and just drive North and fish everything that looks good to you. There are lots of cutts in all those streams and certainly in August the silvers should be acvailable. I know the Fish and Game website has info on runs river by river.

Have fun exploring!

Default Canoe

I have one with paddles in Coffman Cove if you're interested. No need to rent it just pick it up. Most rivers will have fish, lakes are good then. Local lady caught a 20+# rainbow last spring out of a lake here. Not a steelie from what I was told, mount looks like a rainbow anyway - football! Anyway let me know if you'd like it.

Mike
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Default canoe

Mike thank you for the offer. I looked on the map, and the drive up your way looks nice with the streams and such. i would like to take you up on your offer ,as the time draws closer i will get back with you. thanks again . Roger

Quote Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
    I have one with paddles in Coffman Cove if you're interested. No need to rent it just pick it up. Most rivers will have fish, lakes are good then. Local lady caught a 20+# rainbow last spring out of a lake here. Not a steelie from what I was told, mount looks like a rainbow anyway - football! Anyway let me know if you'd like it.

Mike

From a fellow alaska Id like to say thank you. It is nice to see someone step up and help another person enjoy our great state
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default Sounds Good

Let me know Roger, I will have it ready with life jackets, etc. Coffee is always on as well.

Thanks Chuck, might as well help if I have gear sitting. Canoe has been used exactly once here, can't bring myself to use it with the ocean so near.

Gooch
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Default canoe

thank you gooch . that is southern hospitality at it's best in the north. roger

Smile

Ditto on the advice from Riplake: drive the road north keeping an eye out for fish & you will find plenty of action both in streams & inshore salt areas. I had an epic day in the salt casting to schooling fish from the water's edge the last time I was there & plan to return this year.

Default Tackle Shack

If you want less of a drive/a short day of use - the Tackle Shack in Thorne Bay rents canoes. Couple of good paddles in the area. Any pullout along the Thorne holds fish that time of year. Nice paddle from Goose Creek intersection downstream to the salt. Can hop out and fish numerous holes. Good luck.

Default thorne bay

thanks to everyone, we really appreciate you suggestions, offers and advice. it used to be like this here in ohio

Smile Road construction?

Check out the area or areas of Thorne Bay Road construction that happens this summer before finalizing your plans, as there may be areas you wish to avoid