Thread: DMT Sharpener!

Default DMT Sharpener!

IS DA BOMB!!!! I just got one today for $57 & some coin...1200 grit, whetstone, used it on my Magnus & Montec G5's...after runnin' them on a 600 grit steel...& BOY are they SCARY SHARP now!

My 600 grit steel took off the factory edge, to a nice new shiney edge, & then the 1200 grit took it to another level of shineyness.

I'm so pleased with the results, I took out all my knives & sharpened them all, so, if anyone wants anything sharpened, lemme know...

man you should have said something, I dont know how packable the dmt is....but you can do the same thing with sand paper....no joke! The method is called (the scary sharp method) for plane blades. It works on 3 blade heads and a few other goodies and is a helluva lot cheaper LOL.

Default I've used...

Sandpaper before...& sandpaper, last I looked, don't have diamonds in their paper...

nope they dont, but it works extremely well. I've done it on 3 blade snuffers and the wensel woodsmens with impressive results, it also works great on plane blades obviously. Just wasnt sure if you knew about this method or had tried. I typically only go to 1200 wet and dry automotive but have found paper finer yet. Dunno how packable your system is either...just passing along info....use it if it works for ya, if not, dump it.

I havent tried it on a montec or any of the newer cut on contacts.

I have a dmt what looks like a switch blade with diamonds and atleast for me it didnt work at all on getting the edge, it does work OK for touch up work in the field. I dont typically hunt with 3 blades though so mine collects dust (the sharpener) lol. It does do a dang fine job if I bring some of the super fine paper and wrap it around it for touch up in the field.

Default Tradbow...

do you know what color it is? DMT's are color coded for grit...a green Very Fine grit won't work on something that needs course refinishing...& something course woudl ruin something that only need a fine touch up...

When I used the sand paper, the paper would tear...maybe if I glued the paper to a 2x4 or something that would've been better...

yup I do know the colors. I'd start with a file to get the angles right, run it on a medium grit stone, then hit it with the red and green dmt diamond switchblade deal. Seemed like it dulled it more then sharpened it.

If you're not on a back pack hunt....I tape the paper to glass and hold the other end. If you are on a back pack hunt, you'll have to find something a little more durable. Mine hasnt torn with a bh..it has with a plane blade when I'd catch the edge though it was pretty rare. I'm pulling the heads backwards not pushing them point forward. Dunno if it makes a difference or not, might just be the head itself's design. If the back of the head is catching maybe you could drag a file over the point section and slightly round it? Just enough that hwne you do sharpen it, you can still sharpn to the back edge yet enough it doesnt become a sharp point again....?