Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To the owner the older blue 28'ish kingfisher offshore its poor form passing 40' away

Default To the owner the older blue 28'ish kingfisher offshore its poor form passing 40' away

To the owner the older blue 28'ish kingfisher with white bold "Offshore" lettering and twin 225s on the back:

When on step it's considered VERY poor form overtaking and passing another boat only 30'-40' away, especially when there was no other traffic nearby that'd require it.

You passed me inbound to Whittier about 10 mins out, I wanted to talk to you at the dock but you stopped at the hotel dock and I didnt want to miss the tunnel.

1. It's just d@mn rude.

2. It's fragging dangerous, if I'd had to dodge something in the water at the speed you passed me you'd have no time to react and you would have crashed into me, probably killed most of the people on both boats and definately have sunk us both.

3. Your wake bounced me around pretty good and was d@mn uncomfortable.
    Somebody, who's not as levelheaded as I, might have seriously considered grabbing the bear rifle and putting a couple rounds through your engines.
    2696 Sea Raider Pilothouse
    "Dominion"

sounds like you got snuffed by the typical inconsiderate alaskan american hero
    you should've used that gun

Now we shoot people for passing wrong in PWS? If he ran into your boat I still would think it be out of line to shoot him. What type of car do you drive so I can be ready to duck if we happen to get in a fender bender.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Quote Originally Posted by jkb View Post
    Now we shoot people for passing wrong in PWS? If he ran into your boat I still would think it be out of line to shoot him. What type of car do you drive so I can be ready to duck if we happen to get in a fender bender.

So you think it's ok to be rude to other folks while boating? We had rude azzhats on the lake today cruising past us while we were anchoring.. Yeah a little wake is ok, but jeeze move away farther from us when you pass..

Sorry, stop defending rude folks.... Makes you think about motives that way..

By all means, worry about someone's venting rather than the problem as well..

What, you didn't know it was a race to the docks?
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

At least YOU are paying attention to boat traffic. Many do not or allow themselves to get distracted. Kudos to you!

Quote Originally Posted by DarkPaladin View Post
    So you think it's ok to be rude to other folks while boating? We had rude azzhats on the lake today cruising past us while we were anchoring.. Yeah a little wake is ok, but jeeze move away farther from us when you pass..

Sorry, stop defending rude folks.... Makes you think about motives that way..
    I didn't get that at all from his post. I just understood him to say that shooting someone or their equipment for passing too close is a way over the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Maast View Post
    Somebody, who's not as levelheaded as I, might have seriously considered grabbing the bear rifle and putting a couple rounds through your engines.
    Good job, just saying (typing) it instead of doing it. And you're right, some people might do that. Glad you didn't.

I thought a 100% identical thought one time when my quarry got spooked by a guy shooting from a Cessna flying low overhead. Of course I didn't act on the thought; same as you didn't. But I sure thought he's playing a risky game that will have Darwin catching up with him at some with no help from me.

He scared the sheiza out of me, we were going along at my normal cruise @ 25MPH. I looked back and saw him about a quarter mile back and didnt think much of it, next time I saw him is right next to me and passing going at least 35 or more.

I had time for one "What the frack?" and his wake hit us and moved me around pretty good.

I was not amused. And it scared my passangers, one of which had never been on a boat before.
    "Dominion"

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I didn't get that at all from his post. I just understood him to say that shooting someone or their equipment for passing too close is a way over the top.
    That's how I took it also. The person who posted the comment (Jisler) has a history of meaningless testosterone filled remarks and brings nothing to the table.

It's too bad, but some people are always gonna be inconsiderate and sometimes dangerous. It's the equivalent of cutting someone off on the highway, but rational people don't fire at them. That's even more irrational.

Noone is defending anyones boat etiquette or lack there of. Just sayin we should leave the rifle talk to the shooting fourm.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Should have hailed him on the radio after he passed you.

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    Should have hailed him on the radio after he passed you.
    Heh, LOL, I was so mad that, until you just mentioned it, calling him on the radio didnt even occur to me.
    Funny how the mind works, I was thinking of what I was gonna say at the dock not that I could cuss him/her out on the radio.

I guess the radio is classified as "emergency or talking to buddies" equipment by my subconcious.

And what I meant that even though I was entertaining fantasies of shooting his motors I'd never do it, he11 - I was entertaining fantasies of shooting more than that.
    However there are a lot of idiots out on the water with guns and if he'd buzzed one of those I could easily see a drunk idiot taking a potshot at him, for that matter not even being drunk.

IMO Alaska has a much bigger percentge of its population with the "you mess with me, I'll shoot your *****" mentality than other states. I could be wrong, but I dont think I am.
    I'm a very calm person by nature, but even I've got a good touch of it - except they'd need to be an actual clear direct threat - not just torquing me off.

I dont mind anybody doing an honest "oops, sorry" because they just dont know - god knows I've more than my fair share of oopsies.
    But intentional rudeness or showing their ***** just because they think nobody will confront them really makes my blood boil.
    "Dominion"

Quote Originally Posted by Maast View Post
    IMO Alaska has a much bigger percentge of its population with the "you mess with me, I'll shoot your *****" mentality than other states.
    I tend to agree with you. Thinking it is normal, saying it out loud is stupid, and doing it is criminal. It sounds like you handled it best. You probably wouldn't have made a difference to him anyway.

Most guys I run into in the woods or on the water are very polite when dealing with unknown parties. This not always the case when they don't think they will ever come face to face with other people such as the case with the guy that cut Maast off. IMO a society where everyone is probably armed everyone is more polite.
    Unknown author

I wonder if a radio call to the Coast Guard Auxillary letting them know what just happened and where they are heading would have done any good. Maybe check him/question him at the harbor to see if he was impaired and of sound mind. Not sure what authority they have along with the Harbor Master in that situation.

It never ceases to amaze me how rude people are passing in so close when there's miles of open water all around. Folks need to know they are responsible for their wakes. If someone fell on Maast's boat due to the wake and broke something, the other boat operator is liable. Let's all be courteous out there this summer and give a wide berth when passing.

Default Rude is rude

Some guys just have to show off by blasting past you be it on the water or the pavement. It makes them feel big and manly. I wonder if maybe, as you reeled in his wake, you saw some of those rubber gonads (the kind they put on truck hitches) attached to his transom.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtofak View Post
    At least YOU are paying attention to boat traffic. Many do not or allow themselves to get distracted. Kudos to you!

Im gonna agree with Mike on this...He is right, very few people pay attention on the rivers, lakes, AND especially the saltchuck! I wont even take my boat on the salt anymore becuz all the big boats dont give a **** about the little boater trying to let his family have a little fun......right outside the harbors you really have to go full speed??? really??? you cant look around and say oh theres a little boat fishing close to shore here, better give him a little courtesy or at least a wide berth..... I usually got kids on mine.....have a little respect for safety other than yourownself! I always make it a point to slow down to no wake when passin another boat (canoes and the like i go to trolling speeds until well past them) on lakes, rivers, or otherwise.....there is no excuse for irresponsiblity OR failure to respect others in whatever circumstance.

glad everyone made it home safe MAAST and thanks for being safety conscious.....good luck on your next outing.

Release Lake Trout

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast