Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bird Creek Closed

Default Bird Creek Closed

On the way back from the Russian we saw some folks carrying fishin rods with Vibrax down to Bird Creek. Just a reminder that it is closed until July 14(or around that day). As luck would have it saw ADFG doing some lawn work at the next pullout. Stopped by and gave him a heads up so he can inform the anglers. Saw 8 cars there, not sure how many were fishing though. I know last year peeps were keeping Kings outta there. yikes

can't wait till the silvers get there....how you do down south clint?
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

I watched people keep kings down there last year. I tried to tell them it was illegal but they didn't want to hear it. Unfortunately I think they walked right out without getting caught by the cops.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

went by tonite on the harley and 4 people fishing....

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

I dont know why they dont let you keep kings down there.... I always see a ton of them pooled up at the water fall so "escapement" is fine, and it aint like there is much of a spawning ground to support a huge run of anything anyway. Oh well.... somebody that knows way more about fishery management than I do makes those desicions and there must be a good reason not to allow king retention,
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

The king run is 200-300 fish, not a large run.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

yeah that would get cleaned out quick if they let people keep kings out of there............

Snaggers would have that cleaned out in one after noon.

Although I understand the need to protect fragile fish stocks, I think it is better if law enforcement is put to more active use in places such as Bird instead of closing a fishery completely. F&W should get down there and bust some chops handing out tickets! Won't take many days of that to stop what's going on. What are they eventually going to do, close every river or stream where kings or other salmon are struggling? Anglers will lose a lot of opportunity that way.

Quote Originally Posted by kimjn View Post
    What are they eventually going to do, close every river or stream where kings or other salmon are struggling?
    Yup. And I for one would have no problem with that. It's more important to protect the species and ensure it's there in the future than for me to catch fish. Of course it sucks that the comm guys are effing it up for us, and there needs to be something done about them first, but shutting rivers down where the kings are struggling is fine with me. Since the kenain closure and other struggling rivers, greedy people will do what ever they can to get a fish. It's disgusting, you oughta see the snaggers down at ship Either that or tourists/residents that don't read the regs. I ran into 5 or 6 of them at the russian yesterday that had no clue what the rules and regs were.

well the comm guys are the only reason the Kenai opened up again......
    if the shut the river down so goes the comm fishing as well. It wouldn't hurt my feelings at all, because if they close the river a lot of comm guys would go away and not come back.

Quote Originally Posted by kimjn View Post
    Although I understand the need to protect fragile fish stocks, I think it is better if law enforcement is put to more active use in places such as Bird instead of closing a fishery completely. F&W should get down there and bust some chops handing out tickets! Won't take many days of that to stop what's going on. What are they eventually going to do, close every river or stream where kings or other salmon are struggling? Anglers will lose a lot of opportunity that way.
    Even though Bird Cr. is closed to king fishing. Idiots last year poached it on a daily basis in June. The problem is, enforcement has to cover everything from Ingram Creek north to Knik ie (Placer, 20 mille, railroad slough, portage, indian, California, glacier, rabbit, Campbell, Ship, Eagle River, Peters Cr.) and so on.They do not have enough manpower to do "stings" on every river inbetween. Get mad at the poachers that ravaged kings on a daily basis last year at Bird.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Default Signs??

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    Even though Bird Cr. is closed to king fishing. Idiots last year poached it on a daily basis in June. The problem is, enforcement has to cover everything from Ingram Creek north to Knik ie (Placer, 20 mille, railroad slough, portage, indian, California, glacier, rabbit, Campbell, Ship, Eagle River, Peters Cr.) and so on.They do not have enough manpower to do "stings" on every river inbetween. Get mad at the poachers that ravaged kings on a daily basis last year at Bird.
    Never fished Bird, but other places I am unfamiliar with I always have a copy of the Regs. I double and triple check to make sure. I have noticed alot of places have a page out of the regs posted for the particular water you are at. Not so at Bird?
    Fish IT! Hunt IT! or *#%@ IT!

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post

I AM mad at the poachers and don't disagree with you about enforcement. In fact I make a call to the ADF&G hotline every time I see it. But I also agree with closing rivers down that have are struggling. Bob, yes there is signs down there stating that it is closed to fishing until July 13th. Some people just don't care.

Just curious is it legal to fish the salt water in front of bird creek or is it required you be so far away from it.

Only problem with the regs is I see no where that it states where the salt water line is for bird creek. When the tide is at low tide I would almost wager that its "fresh" water quite a ways out, far enough that I wouldn't want to risk walking out to get into it.

Might have to make a call to fish and game to get it cleared up then. The way I would take it though, is if there is no distinguishing line for fresh and salt, use your best judgement. Use the anchorage regs if you think you're in fresh and visa versa. The way the anchorage regs read, it says from the mouth upsteam to ADF&G markers approx 500 yds upstream. Since the creek dumps into the ocean just on the west side of the tracks, that would be the line in my mind. What species are you wanting to target out there in the salt?

via the upper cook inlet salt water regs, all of turnagain arm is open to fishing for legal species which would include 5 king salmon larger than 20".

have fun.

ahead of time you might want to put on a climbing harness for the helicopter hoist.

Quote Originally Posted by andweav View Post
    ahead of time you might want to put on a climbing harness for the helicopter hoist.
    Yup, you wouldn't see me walking out in that mud.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast