Thread: With availability at the moment...

Default With availability at the moment...

Who here is stocking up on reloading supplies and ammo? I'm just curious because of the past year or two's shenanigans with supply up here. I have grabbed a pound or two of powder every month and a couple of hundred primers every week. We are moving off of the road system in the next year and I'm trying to build up a supply for a bit. I mostly hunt and target shoot occasionally to sight in or work up a load.
    Do you think (the next few months) will be considered the good old days in the coming years with availability of reloading supplies and factory ammo in the state, or in the country? I actually believe the prices won't be coming back down in the near future and we will see more shortages etc. and I'm planning accordingly... thoughts?

Mountaintrekker

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaintrekker View Post
    Who here is stocking up on reloading supplies and ammo? I'm just curious because of the past year or two's shenanigans with supply up here. I have grabbed a pound or two of powder every month and a couple of hundred primers every week. We are moving off of the road system in the next year and I'm trying to build up a supply for a bit. I mostly hunt and target shoot occasionally to sight in or work up a load.
    Do you think (the next few months) will be considered the good old days in the coming years with availability of reloading supplies and factory ammo in the state, or in the country? I actually believe the prices won't be coming back down in the near future and we will see more shortages etc. and I'm planning accordingly... thoughts?

Mountaintrekker

In 1990 I moved to "bush Alaska", back now to where we have cars and trucks and paved roads that go somewhere. I preloaded a lot of .223/5.56 NATO ammo because I knew that would be the most in demand and I had a few cases of Winchester Super X .22 LR ammo, I had and have auto press from my commercial loading and a lot of manual loading gear that I did not want to set up in the bush. Well all the many thousands of rounds of .223/5.56 ammo sold at a good profit and the ammo I did not sell was used by me for hunting. Same with the rimfire stuff, I did not want to put up with the hassle of selling the rimfire ammo. Pre-load as much as you can and buy what you need before you move. It just does not pay you to try to beat the local village corporate store on ammo, Remember they can ship ammo by plane and you have to jump through some hoops to do that.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Big Al,
    Just curious as to why you thought .223/5.56 would be the most in demand. Were there lots of folks with AR's for defense, or is this what quite a few folks were using to procure meat?
    I have an AR for defense and I use either a 30.06 or 30/30 for meat on the hoof and .22LR or 12ga takes care of everything else.
    I have a nice turret press I haven't even set up yet as I just bought a Lee hand press which seems to suit me just fine at the moment. I figure I'll get a couple of really good loads for each rifle and my .44mag and pre-load several hundred for each and I already have enough .22 ammo to sink a large ship. I'm currently debating on getting a Lee Load All for 12ga as they are $50.00. I'm not sure I want to mess with it though.
    Thanks for your input and any advice is always welcome.

Mountaintrekker

From what I've seen the .223 is VERY popular in the bush. Been to a few villages in my time and the most common rifle I've seen was a Ruger Mini 14.
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    From what I've seen the .223 is VERY popular in the bush. Been to a few villages in my time and the most common rifle I've seen was a Ruger Mini 14.
    Yeah, I've heard you can shoot a dozen 'bou with one before the first one finally hits the ground!

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post

As a former Army National Guardsman out in the bush, I can tell you why the .223 is very popular--- free ammunition. Many males of age in the bush villages join the guard, and each village has an armory.

On SEVERAL occasions, I flew investigation teams out to village armories where the ammunition stocks had been raided. Additionally, there's the good ole boy system in which small amounts (a few hundred at a time) of ammunition is "lost"

The one thing you find in almost all villages is a National Guard building and National Guard members. The .223/5.56 NATO is the most common of all rifles used and will continue to be for many decades. For the seal hunter and caribou hunter it is vary widely used. Remember that this ctg has been in service for around 50 years now and has widespread appeal.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

During a lot of my time in villages I've seen great heaping piles of Mini-14s. In fact the only two guns I've seen in village AC stores are stainless Mini14s and Remington 870 expresses. UMC ball ammo for the Minis and Remington #6 high brass for the 12ga and thats about it... I'm sure there are some other guns floating around but those are what I saw in boats and wheelers and on snow machines.

A good friend had a .270 up in one of the N. Slope villages and I had to haul his ammo in for him when I passed through on work. AC store didn't have any and reportedly wouldn't order any (not sure if that's correct or why).

I think the small gun thing goes beyond Nat. Guard armories though- the .222 was tremendously popular among the Inuit in Canada for years for a lot of the same reason the .223 is popular up here- plenty for seals and the ammo is light and compact as well as cheap to shoot. I hear the 7mag is now quite popular in Canada but I've not been there in years.

I don't know about pilfering NG armories but the AC store had a bunch in stock every time I went and it seemed about universally used in town.

The thought of standing down a polar bear with a mini 14 just makes me shudder....