Thread: Moose Pack

Default Moose Pack

I currently own an Eberlestock Blue widow pack that I use for elk hunting. Will this suffice for my moose hunt this fall. We will have a base camp and hope to be packing less than a mile. Hopefully I will not need another pack. Thanks Tony

I really like Eberlestock packs but I don't know of any that would be very good for hauling moose quarters. Picking up just a heavy duty frame from Cabelas might not be a bad idea. Then use the Eberlestock for hunting and bringing back just loins straps etc on the first haul with it. Then on the return trip take the pack frame for quarters.

I'm not familiar with the Blue Widow, but I do know that Estock makes some very nice packs. Here's what I'd suggest:

Use bags of sand to add weight to your Blue Widow. Measure the weight of the pack and get it up to 75 pounds or so. Some guys might pack in excess of 100 pounds, but 75 will give you a good idea of your pack's capabilities. You'll find out that a really heavy load requires careful adjustment and fit of your pack. The load MUST be stable. Boned meat is very heavy and soft...it sags and bulges.

Anyway...put on your loaded pack and go for a brisk 15 minute walk somewhere besides your lawn or driveway. Uneven ground is better. See how the loaded pack feels after 15 min. The next time, go for 30 minutes. You'll get a good feel for what you're facing if you have a moose to pack.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Picking up just a heavy duty frame from Cabelas might not be a bad idea. Then use the Eberlestock for hunting and bringing back just loins straps etc on the first haul with it. Then on the return trip take the pack frame for quarters.

I would have to agree with LuJon. A good frame is needed to tie that Big Rack to

It will be worth the extra money either way.Good Luck

I own an Eberlestock J104 and tried it out on my wife's cow moose a few years ago. I bought the pack for day hunts and never really intended on hauling quarters in it. It worked fine for the loins, but the hind quarters didn't come close to fitting. I didn't try the front quarters. Luckily I had my pack frame along as well. The top flap on the pack that buckles to the bottom shelf just gets in the way when you are trying to tie on large quarters. Take LuJon's advice and bring a pack frame along.

I've got to agree with the previous posts concerning an external pack frame for moose quarters. I have been using an Eberlestock "Just One" for about 5 years that is wonderful to carry and spike camp from, but it simply will not haul a moose quarter effectively. Of course that is supposing that you are hunting a mature bull. If you are going to haul out a dink then it might work "okay," but a mature moose quarter isn't going to fit in the Eberlestock IME. I suppose a person could strap the quarter to the outside of the pack, but that would not be comfortable or stable for a long haul. Do yourself a favor and buy a reasonable quality pack frame for packing your moose out. There are no doubt better frames available, but the Cabelas Alaskan Guide frames work well at a modest cost.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...0015827515439a

Looks like a modified large alice pack, guessing one of those would work well. If you need a cheaper option.

BB

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I really like Eberlestock packs but I don't know of any that would be very good for hauling moose quarters. Picking up just a heavy duty frame from Cabelas might not be a bad idea. Then use the Eberlestock for hunting and bringing back just loins straps etc on the first haul with it. Then on the return trip take the pack frame for quarters.
    I do the same as Lujon on with my Bluewidow.
    I have a bare frame pack that stays in camp or the truck. I use the Bluewidow as a day pack & have my TAG bags (game bags) in it along with all my meat care gear. I can get an animal ready to pack & take the loins/burger meat, etc out on my 1st trip back to camp.
    Going in I can pack the Eberlestock with my camp gear, strap it on the pack frame, & wear the pack frame in.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."