Thread: Enough rod for Kings?

Default Enough rod for Kings?

I have a 7' Graphite Heavy Action Fish Eagle II rod by Cabelas that I want to take King fishing. I've got 40# braid on it but I don't know if that combo has enough torque. Is this enough rod to take a King on or will I just be watching them run up and down the river?
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

It all depends on where you are fishing? A little more info might help out.

Talking fish eagle

hey there almost any heavy action rod will work for kings. i used a medium ugly stick for ten years till i bought my lamiglas norwest special.

Deshka, little su, willow creek.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

you'll be fine... I pulled a 18 lb onto the bank at little willow with 25 lb line and a Medium 6' Daiwa Walmart rod yesterday.

the chances of a 50+ lb bruiser in the Mat-Su is pretty low. most this year seem to be in the 12 lb to 25lb range

I've seen those Russian Kids at the Homer Spit Hole catch 10-30 pound kinds on light to medium poles and 10 pound test. It all depends on your fishing environment.

Get rid of the braid and you'll be fine...

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

You'll be fine. I use an 8' medium-action Ugly Stick for all the salmon. I've caught tiny little ones up to a 50 lb king and not had any issues. Also managed to get a halibut that was about 35lbs fishing for silvers in Seward a few years back. 20lb test mono, too.

Quote Originally Posted by bigcox View Post
    Get rid of the braid and you'll be fine...
    You mind your tongue!

You know bigcox is right

I have snapped a few fish eagle rods. However, mine were the 3 piece travel type and medium action. Seems it was pinks around Nome, maybe silvers, but I broke two of them. I ended up with the Cabelas XML travel rods and they are better for sure. The long and short of it, you put braid on a fish eagle and hook into something worth having, you might hear a rod snap. I certainly hope not, but it happened to me a few times.

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Well I took the hint and put on 20# mono last night that I found laying around. I didn't have enough braid on there anyway, would've watched a king run all the line off! He won't have that luxary today though.