Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Biggest Halibut in AK--SE or SC?

Default Biggest Halibut in AK--SE or SC?

I was just watching a youtube video of a 430lb halibut caught this year off of Sitka, in May. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZEMWABnCpU

Seems every year I hear of 300lb+ halibut that are cut up at the docks here on POW, and not much is said about then as tight lipped Capt don't want a bullseye on their boat. Without a halibut derby, I feed that most of the big fish in SE just aren't heard about or are released.

It got me wondering.. Who really has the biggest halibut? (not talking about average size) SE or SC? I always here about Homer and Kodiak, but SE doesn't seem to get much respect.

What say you?

Definitely a nice fish, but I don't know about the 430lb claim.

I'd like to see that from a scale.

My un-educated opinion is that there are big halibut to be had pretty much everywhere in Alaska, but they are getting cherry-picked slowly out of southcentral waters by the charter fleets, who go farther and farther out to find them. I don't think SE has nearly the same intense fishing pressure from sport anglers.

SE certainly has it's share of charter boats. But, SE doesn't have too many Halibut Only charters, that do long runs to remote areas. The SE charter fleet usually runs combo trips, with salmon being the priority. If you watch the video, you see he has king salmon bellies/guts on the table from what they had caught that morning.

There was a 500# ++ halibut caught commercially out of Petersburg back in the 70's.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Default BIG 'but

This pic hit my inbox a few years ago. I believe the vessel was out of Dutch Harbor.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Yeah, I know of several 400+lb fish that came out of Dutch.

Good video, although I don't believe it's as big as claimed. Looks really narrow when he's kneeling on it. Also, looks too short.

the big one in seward this year is 337. today we had a couple 200+ biggeset being 280. very nice fish

Quote Originally Posted by AKBroncoII View Post
    Good video, although I don't believe it's as big as claimed. Looks really narrow when he's kneeling on it. Also, looks too short.
    Completely agree.

That's why I want to see it on a scale....

Default south east

Do a search on you tube for "424 lbs halibut Elfin Cove"
    It came in July last year and was very impressive to see.
    Every year I see fish come in between 300 - 400lbs and there is not a ton of charter operations. Also Yakutat gets some very large fish also again not alot of pressure.

The biggest average size and biggest individuals I know of are coming out of the waters right around Dutch. That's the tip of the iceberg I think. The area is pretty much unexplored and the sport fishery is in its infant stages, so more good things to come.

I agree on the video fish. Self-promoters that couldn't stand up to a scale.

Dutch might not have much sport fishing yet but the comercial boats have pounding it for ever!!!

There are at least two charter boats operating there now. And most of the commercial fishing is offshore. Results for sports make the flights look a lot more affordable.

I have seen a couple over the 500 mark hit the scales at the Haines cannery in the early 90's but they were long line fish
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Biggest one I've seen or heard of out of Sitka is 300 and that was by a charter. That's only the 2nd 300 I've heard of up here this year.

Caught a 235 out of Juneau in '07. Salmon Rod, 30 lb test, and a salmon leader. Weighed it at home on the commercial meat scale. It was a workout. I have a picture at home of it. maybe ill post later.

Default Dutch

Sport Fishing World record was caught out of Dutch -459lbs by Jack Tragis. A mount of if over the City Council Chambers. Quite the sight. The previous record was also out of Dutch.
    Ruby at the end of a good day.

From a few years back on a glorious 4th of July weekend in Lower Stephens Passage. Tide book had it a little over 200# based on length. Had to tow is to shore to cut it up. Luckily, lots of glacier ice coming out of Tracy Arm was available.

Last big one I've kept. Over 100# and they go back.

Know a fellow who does creel census for ADF&G in Gustavus. Mid 300's every summer and not uncommon.

Sad part it (according to him) that most of these "fishing toursits" get their picture taken and then want to find someone local to take the meat so they don't waste it.
    Last edited by L. G.; 06-24-2010 at 11:15. Reason: .

My biggest was in Dutch, less than a 1/2 mile from one of the processors. I saw a few whoppers getting offloaded. There are some giant halibut out that way.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

My best day was out of Dutch with several released fish +/- 200 and 90 lb keepers (12 years ago)...but I've caught my fair share of nice fish in SE. Much smaller average and nothing over 60# in SC but always limits at least.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast