Thread: Chitina Charter?

Default Chitina Charter?

I've never used a charter at Chitina, but my usual spot is not producing due to the low water, I think. So, I'm thinking of using a charter for the first time because I think I'll have time for just one more Chitina trip this year. If you've done it before, please share with me any pointers -- how to line up, what to bring, etc. And, is it worth it?

Any pointers are appreciated!

Go to the O'Brien Creek parking area at the bottom of the hill. On the Copper River end, there are a couple of boats tied off down the embankment. Those are the charter boats. On the day before, put a net or cooler as a place holder just to the right of the used portion of the road/parking lot there.

Get to bed early. Get up earlier. Around 04:30. Go see how many people put stuff in front of your place holder. Stand in line. Wait for a guy to come and start orchestrating things. You'll either be on the first run or not. If not, you have to wait for the boats to come back. If you don't get out on the second boat, you may not get out at all.

Cost is $100. You take yourself, your net, and whatever other food/gear you'll need. When you're done fishing, they pick you and your fish up, haul you back upriver, and will haul your fish to your vehicle or the cleaning table. For a nominal fee, they'll fillet for you. Very, very little extra effort or work is required from you. To me, after a day of driving, little to no sleep, and a day of fishing, this makes it worth the cost.

You will likely be fishing in places that nobody else can even access, so you usually get a hole to yourself. They know where the good holes are and put you on them. But if the fish aren't there, you do spend more money in the end. I still think it's worth it.

Some of the best holes are in pretty hairy spots....you do not want to fall in the river. Bring ropes and tie yourself to the rocks. Tie SHORT. If you make it into the water, the current will yank you to the end of the ropes stretch and pin you there. If you slip, you want the rope to stop you before you reach the water. If that sounds too scary, you can ask for "safe" holes, which is what I have done with my wife this year and my son last year. We still had pretty good fishing.

Bring food and water. Bug dope. Rain coat/pants. Rubber or neoprene gloves. Heavy duty stringers (5 fish per stringer is the charter rule). I go to Lowe's and buy 100' sections of 1/4" poly rope, then cut to length. Use a lighter to melt the tips to keep it from fraying. This rope is probably strong enough to lift a couple of people, but small enough for stringer use. And it's less then $10/spool. Bring extra clothes, but be prepared to take some off if it warms up (and it can get quite warm in the canyon when the fishing is good and the sun comes out).

Hope that helps. I do recommend the charter's, but they aren't for everyone. And they don't do any good if the fish aren't there. I'd wait for the fish to show more (call the reports, watch this forum, etc) and quite possibly for the water to come up a foot or two.

Good luck!

dont forget something to cut tails. I used the craftsman razor blade utility snips and they worked great

Default Thanks!

Cohoslayer,

Thanks for the information. I really appreciate it.

Here's wishing you a great fishing season!

Quote Originally Posted by glpak View Post
    Cohoslayer,

Thanks for the information. I really appreciate it.

Here's wishing you a great fishing season!
    You're quite welcome.

And I did forget to mention something to clip tails with. I use a pair of heavy duty gardening shears, the kind that can snap about a 3/4" twig with no problem.

And good luck to you!

I just got back and used the charter for the first time. It was not a bad deal at all considering the conditions. I walked on foot for the first two days with no luck. Used the charter on the 3rd day and ended up with 14 reds and a king. Its slow right now all around but it could be picking up. I caught most of my fish the last two hours of netting. That was saturday evening. They started rolling thru thick. On the boat ride back everyone on the back was pulling in fish. Fsh are a mix right now. I caught everything from small to large size. I probably could have had a limit if they left me there for another hour or two. But I wasnt willing to sit on the rock for another day because the charter is closed on Sundays.