Thread: Halibut not cooperating yesterday...

Default Halibut not cooperating yesterday...

Three of us fished all my usual chicken holes all day yesterday and could not find them. We fished southwest out of Seward from 150' to 300'. Can't figure out what happened other than maybe it is a bit early? Any thoughts?

I have never had any luck fishing butts out of Seward. I'm open to locations if anyone wants to share If you want consistant butts Homer is the place to go. We were out yesterday and got our 10 limit in just over an hour. Averaging 20-40 pounds. PM me if you want some specifics.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,
    Teach a man to fish and he'll also learn to drink, lie, and avoid the honey do list.

Quote Originally Posted by Ak Bird Brain View Post
    If you want consistant butts Homer is the place to go. We were out yesterday and got our 10 limit in just over an hour. Averaging 20-40 pounds. PM me if you want some specifics.
    You are correct. Homer is def. the place for Halibut. Period.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Here's what we got yesterday in Kachemak Bay:

There's a king hiding in the middle there, and a copper rockfish amongst those black bass.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    Here's what we got yesterday in Kachemak Bay:

There's a king hiding in the middle there, and a copper rockfish amongst those black bass.
    A couple of those 'but are very nice fish Mr. Muttley. I can see there is still no shortage of black rockfish to be found.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    A couple of those 'but are very nice fish Mr. Muttley. I can see there is still no shortage of black rockfish to be found.
    LOL! A few TOO MANY black "bass" around if you ask me. We were trolling for kings out in the same area today and as soon as we got within about 100 yards of where we caught all of those "bass" yesterday we had 2 hit our downriggers at the same time and you could see them all over the fish finder. I think if you put your mind to it you could limit out in about 5 minutes.

Plenty of butt again, too. Couldn't conjure up anything really big, though, and the kings were totally uncooperative.

Comming down to Homer again with the boat, where can we get some of those black bass?? Going to do some Halibut fishing around some of the gps points towards the Bluffs. Any info would help thanks.

Go jig around some of the islands and points around seldovia/yukon island. Spinnows or buzz bombs should help catch plenty. PM muttley he'll know better than I do.

Thanks Pike

We fished seward on sunday and worked our butts of for butts. I dont feel so bad though as so did everyone else. There was not alot of water movement. Then again. Bluebird skies and pretty much flat seas made for a good day. The boat did limit out on butts all in the 20's and it took us less than 10 minutes to load up 26 bass
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    Go jig around some of the islands and points around seldovia/yukon island. Spinnows or buzz bombs should help catch plenty. PM muttley he'll know better than I do.
    Sage advice there, about the Seldovia area, not the PM Muttley thing. I'm just really lucky, so don't ask me.

Yeah, just head out in the vicinity of Seldovia and beyond to Pogi. There are some spots in there where you just can't troll for kings because it's just "black bass" after "black bass". I call them little bait stealers. Just drift along until you hit some and then anchor up where you find them and jig away. Some pretty good sized ones, too. And they will hit just about anything that's shiny.

Anyone have any halibut/salmon/bass advice for a guy with a 16 foot zodiac? I'm pretty new to the saltwater out here. I havent gotten past rugged in resurection bay. Looking to explore whittier and homer. I have a fish finder and downriggers though....

I have been running the same kind of boat for ten years. In some places you have the advantage, easier to haul, easier to launch, land near anywhere to hunt or camp. That's the positives, the negatives involve chiropractors, pneumonia, and prayer. That being said, lower cook inlet, deep creek, Ninilchik, Anchor Point, Whiskey Gulch, and Homer, offer your best chance of dependable halibut close in and King oppurtunities. In August, the world's your oyster for silvers. Good luck, and I also take survival suits for everyone in my boat, though they don't qualify as PFD's unless you are wearing them, or so I've been fined....

Quote Originally Posted by sthrcave View Post
    Anyone have any halibut/salmon/bass advice for a guy with a 16 foot zodiac? I'm pretty new to the saltwater out here. I havent gotten past rugged in resurection bay. Looking to explore whittier and homer. I have a fish finder and downriggers though....
    Try the deep hole off the mouth of "Marys Bay" and the rocky ledge that runs south off the west point. Be carefull if soaking bait, you'll loose some gear if you drag the bottom.

07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
    115 Yamaha
    Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
    Airmar TM 260-MM

Quote Originally Posted by sthrcave View Post
    If you pick a good weather day Homer can't be beat in my opinion. You have to run a long way out of Whittier to get to decent butt, but out of Homer you can go about 10 miles out and get them. Very doable in a Zodiac like that. I used to take my 12 footer out here and off of Anchor without any problem.

You can also get salmon and black bass out by The Bluffs which is an easy run for a Zodiac on a decent day. If you go past the "high spot" off the Bluffs a half mile or so there are lots of smaller bass in there around 70 ft. of water and in. And it's always got feeder kings hanging around so you could get one of those. And then in about 3 or 4 weeks there will be silvers to be had out there as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    If you pick a good weather day Homer can't be beat in my opinion. You have to run a long way out of Whittier to get to decent butt, but out of Homer you can go about 10 miles out and get them. Very doable in a Zodiac like that. I used to take my 12 footer out here and off of Anchor without any problem.

You can also get salmon and black bass out by The Bluffs which is an easy run for a Zodiac on a decent day. If you go past the "high spot" off the Bluffs a half mile or so there are lots of smaller bass in there around 70 ft. of water and in. And it's always got feeder kings hanging around so you could get one of those. And then in about 3 or 4 weeks there will be silvers to be had out there as well.
    I would take Muttley's advice. Homer can be done safely in a zodiac since you aren't too far from land and the water is real good early in the morning. Whittier you will be running quite aways and the weather can change real quick outside of Passage Canal.

Fishing is 100X better in Homer too.

Thanks for the advice. I'll definately have to check out homer.

Sorry about the double post. My Iphone went crazy.... How far out are these places? Just wondering. Trying to figure fuel consumption into the equation. Is it a day trip in an inflatable, or would I need to camp?