Thread: Timing of Adak's caribou rut?

Default Timing of Adak's caribou rut?

Anybody have any idea when meat on Adak's caribou starts to be affected by the rut? I was planning on going in Late August, but the only time both my buddy and I can both make it is Sept 11th to the 20th. I hunt primiarily for meat but If I see a big bull I'd like to have the option of shooting it without having to worry about whether I'll have decent quality meat.

Default wrong time

I went to Adak the 1st week of October 2005. We shot 4 bulls and 1 was VERY rutty. The other 3 were perfectly fine. I think that the third week of Sept the bulls would be in full rut.

How are going to hunt the island? By boat road system or backpack it?
    Jay

We hit ADAK last year Oct 25th...4 caribou and all were perfect.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

We are planning on packing in a few miles from the road system. I've done the hunt twice before and my experience is that at that time of the year you need to be a few miles from the road system before you see animals

Any pics of the caribou that you have gotten.
    Thanks
    Jay

Default pix

We took 4 bulls, all off the road system. But we just happened to hit it just right! Of course this was 5 yrs ago, and my understanding is that the hunting pressure has increased 10 fold since then!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Targetman how many animals were you able to see from the road system? I've done the Hunt in august before but never been there In October.

We saw a lot of caribou but none of trophy status, in on Sunday and could have been done Monday. Stayed to Thursday. 4-wheelers.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel