Thread: Yukon Movement Area

Default Yukon Movement Area

Hate to ask on here as I would prefer to scout and find out on my own, thanks to my trip back over to the largest sandbox in the world five weeks after moving I get to. Anyone spend any quality time on the Yukon range? Does the 40 mile herd make it out that far? Black bear and predator population strong? Any info would help, thank you in advance.

BB

shooting you a pm

Can't receive PMs yet, not enough posts. Shoot me an email Bombboy65@hotmail.com

BB

check your email

Never got youe email buddy.

BB

Default Yukon Training Area

believe you are referring to the Yukon Training Are also called the YTA. Black bear numbers are not good. I believe the average number of black bears pulled off the YTA is 4 in the spring. There are so many baiters in a small area the bears feed at will and rarely get shot.

For grizz; the population is strong IMHO. I had on average 12 different grizz that visited my bait site every year. I stopped baiting out there. I did not need to get myself into a DLP situation. I never had a grizz come in on the bait stand while I was there, but cam showed them there seconds before I got there and minutes after I left. If you want some very good stories of grizz coming after baiters, stop by the DNR office on Wainwright.

I have heard that 40 mile bou will wonder down into the YTA at times. I have never saw a bou or tracks out there. Bou are Bou and can be anywhere. I do have a friend who shot one of Chena Hot Springs Road years back at his cabin. I would not waste my time trying to find a bou on the YTA.

Good luck and feel free to PM me if you have other questions.

Thanks a ton for the info and advice. May get a chance to stretch my legs and do some moose scouting should be home for about a month before the season opens. Save Bou for another year when I have more time to scout.

As for predators out on YTA, have you seen any wolf/ wolverine/ lynx/ fox/ coyote sign out there?

Thanks again

BB

email sent

I'll keep my eyes open

BB

I have seen several sets of wolf tracks out there, and I believe I actually saw a wolf once, but only long enough to make me question myself whether I actually saw ANYTHING. Wolves can be like that I guess.

I haven't seen too much coyote or fox sign, but I've seen a few foxes on base at Eielson so they should be out in the YTA also.

The pack of wolves that plagued the North Pole/Chena area live on/near where the new stryker training area is.

I've seen a few yotes, lynx, and fox. I have not seen any wolverines, but I have cut a few of their tracks on the parts of Wainwright that don't see many people.

Thank you all for the info, looking forward to some cold winter days calling.

BB