Thread: Summer Hunting/Fishing/Gathering

Default Summer Hunting/Fishing/Gathering

So whats on your summers hunting plan?

besides Hunting and Fishing a VERY important time of year is our gatherings.
    Besides Fire wood all winter, beachcombing is an important gathering time for us, as the ocean spits up alotta really good materials for the wife to make Arts/Crafts from to make the $$ nessarry to make ends meet in this life.

Caribou hunting will Kick butt at the last week of July when Bulls are fat again and the hides are thin in hair but healed from the sores and open wounds of Summers Warbel Fly hatch (out their backs) and misquitos bites that aggravate them so.
    The misquitos being gone and a few berries around at the end of July come with the Sun taking a dip behind the horizon again......but untill then, its time to stay insomniataed, tired, grouchy and walking, living on catnaps and coffee~~LOL!!~~

With a small baot and a minimum of supplies, we often go for a couple weeks before making run to unload and gas up. Gon

Myself, well Ive hobbled another motor into a semblence of conciousness and hopefully its gonna run my familys semi collective Butts out and about for the month of July.
    In Kotzebue Sound, theres calm weather in July for most Summers, and with so little snowfall, we thisn Beachcombing will be most excellent this year.
    Often we walk for a few days, then rest and get at it again and again. Mamoth as well as Walrus and whales wash up or out and ly in the shallow Ocean water, getting cleand and unstinky ('cept the dead Walrus, and some have been dead for years, just locked in ice.)
    Mammoth bones teeth and tusjks wash out into the tides and get a good cleaning as well.
    besides, tehres lotsa junk fromRussia and theose glasss float balls from Japanese nets to collect as well.
    Sir John Franklins searchers markers and such as well as the keel timber from the whaler 'Louisiana' are on my visit list, and the wife wants to photograph some of the archeological sites that JLGiddings did, a real "Indiana Jones" kinda guy who really helped out up this way.

So depending on the motor and hopefully enough in art sales to fund such a tri (and keep our bills at bay while were gone) well be out and walking for about a month........hopefully by next weekend, well be moving along as good as it gets.

heres som pix from days gone by, and I have a nice post on my blog~~LOL!!~~

If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Berries and rubarb and beach wood for camp fires. Still have till June 30 for black bear but it did not happen yesterday or today. Also ready to start smokeing some salmon
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Stranger...are you bou hunting at the end of July?
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

I am always Caribou hunting

At the end of July till the end of september, we keep fairly "topped off" with fresh meat.
    The end of July brings many changes, as teh Salmon arrive in number to this village (when were camp'd closer to the coast, we get 'em a bit sooner), the sun dips again and the bugs nubers and activity drops drasticly. Most salmon dryed in july are for dogs anyway. Not having to battle the Fly, tending and drying meat/fish is much easier.
    Bull Caribou have nice short hairs that the wife can make clothing for us or for sale and they are Prime then, all glossy and soft. All of August is good for catching Bulls and Cows, for hides, even calfs when I can get 'em. Soft meat for old folks and babys there.

It so HOT and buggy its a sure thing to catch Caribou along the coast and rivers right now, or on mountaintops/ridges where there is a breeze.

Been gathering up chunks and bark of Mammoth but no big stuff so far. Being all hot, theres almost no snow clinging to the muds, and weve been haveing a good look while picking Greeens to put away.
    Fighting with bad motors has had me walking close to home, so my time isnt wasted.
    Lotsa Sea Ducks are arriving, and on the menu with Sheefish.
    I gotta get a camera, its been unbeliveable fishing with a rod, Im actally sick of Sheefish for awhile~~LOL!!~~maby i'll buy some TopRamen...Ive had the craving for that stuff lately.....
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Bride just put up 16 quarts of berry jam and six more quarts of meat broth. Vac-pac and freezer is nice but if eletric goes away better can quick so we just can most from the start.We are not finding any kelp so far and fiddleheads turned bitter very fast this year
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Put away bunch of herring egg filled kelp, maybe 8 King salmon in the freezer and several more smoking in the smoke house. 2 buckets salted and cured. Still need to cut up about 40 more chum salmon and 20 more Kings.
    Berries next month and August. Moose soon afterwards. . .
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!