Thread: Thanks for the info on this forum - Pistol

Default Thanks for the info on this forum - Pistol

Gents,

Thanks for all the info and advice y'all provide here. Very good!

I'll be back for my second trip to Alaska in July and will have a four-inch S&W 44 mag that I picked up here in Colorado. Price was pretty good. It was choice between that and Ruger 45Colt but since I already had a couple of boxes of castcore 44 cartridges, I went with that.

This is not my first 44 and shoots just fine. I'm not a bad shot but when I hear you guys talk about needing to hit a bouncing ball thrown at you I guess I need some more practice!

Last year I only saw one grizzly while out fishing and he was on the other side of the Kenai and never even saw us. It was interesting though....We saw a fisherman working his way up the river toward the bear and athough two drift boats yelled warnings at him, he seemed not to hear. We watched as he got closer and closer, maybe 30 feet away from where the bear was eating his salmon....I told my wife to get the camera ready..... and then he saw the bear! His arms went straight up into the air and he lit out like a scalded dog! Bear paid him no nevermind.

Anyway, all the best to you guys,

Slim

I realize that y'all are used to bear encounters, but I am not.......here's the report.......Returned from the two week Alaska trip.....caught a bunch of fish.... saw five grizzlies.... four from the boat and road and one medium sized bear met me at 9 steps on a trail going through some chest high ferns. I am happy to report that is was quite a "thrill." We were both startled, bear looked a bit nervous so I went for the camera instead of the pistol......Bear stood up and looked me over then turned around and ambled away and across the river. Got some great photos.

Great place this Alaska! Will try for another trip next summer.

Slim

Let's see some photos, Slim!

OK, let's see if I can do this.....Attachment 38113

Quote Originally Posted by Slim Wallet View Post
    OK, let's see if I can do this.....Attachment 38113
    Link no worky....
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

sorry to be so dumb.... does this show?

Slim, not so much for me, just a red "X" inside a little square box.

If you change your mind, send me a pm for some help. I was clueless beyond belief when I first tried and then a friend put the whole process to rights for me. Don't get pissed off like I did. Trust me, it's easy.

- Jay

Pics man we need to see some pics. I will bet your pucker factor was pretty high when you came across that bear

You know I am not sure that you realy get used to close bear encounters. It is pretty cool to see them up close when you know you are safe, but there is a bit of a "pucker factor" when you are completly exposed.