Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger SRH .480 mods

Default Ruger SRH .480 mods

So I have a factory Ruger SRH .480 7 1/2" I'm wanting to mod a bit.

In particular:

1. Shorten barrel to 5.5 and remove factory engraving. Inverted crown.
    2. Smooth action and trigger job - jeweled/polished
    3. Possible porting - (I don't mind it being a bit louder, but I don't want obnoxious - and that can be subjective)
    4. Lighten it a bit
    5. Upgrade sights - Trijicon possibly.
    6. Bob the hammer a bit.
    7. Cosmetic touches - bead blast (velvet?) the entire finish. Polished cylinder rings.

For a while I was considering doing the moon clips merely for the speed loading application, but now I don't think it's necessary.

My biggest question is where to do it. I like to support my local shop, and the Wolverine job WWG does looks pretty decent. I'm torn too on how they grind the sides of the barrel and receiver to lighten it up - sometimes I really like how it looks, then other times I prefer the factory look.

But I REALLY like the finished product of the Advantage conversion that Mag-na-Port offers.

If I had $4K, I'd call Bowen, and have them make me a 5.5" .480 Redhawk with 5 shot fluted cylinder.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanSD View Post
    So I have a factory Ruger SRH .480 7 1/2" I'm wanting to mod a bit. . . My biggest question is where to do it. . .
    I had WWG slab my Redhawk's barrel and bead blast the finish. The work they performed is well executed and the service I received was absolutely top notch (same day turnaround). I am confident if you can explain what you want performed upon your SRH they can pull it off.

Can't beat Mag-Na-Port, they have been at it a very long time and they also get into the woods so they know what works and what don't.Can't think of any critter on earth the Larry has not taken clean with a handgun
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

1-1 so far - haha!

ICor - same day turn around?? Impressive. WWG told me average was 3-4 weeks now, but maybe they like to under-promise and over perform. Did you have them do anything else besides the "slab" and beadblast?

1-1 so far - haha!

ICor - same day turn around?? Impressive. WWG told me average was 3-4 weeks now, but maybe they like to under-promise and over perform. Did you have them do anything else besides the "slab" and beadblast?
    I had previously had the action tuned (different smith), but decided I couldn't live with the barrel warnings and I prefer a satin finish. I contacted Ken and explained I was coming in from Dillingham to ANC for a shopping trip. He said if I could get it to him on Monday morning he'd see if they could get it completed before I flew out on Wednesday afternoon. Doesn't sound like much, but saving the extra $ on shipping was a pleasant bonus and I have to say I was impressed with their extra effort. As I said before, while the work I had performed is not difficult, the execution of said work is top shelf and the price was more than fair IMO.

Magnaport does phenominal trigger jogs on ruger's, I doubt you can find anyone that will top them.

Sounds like a well thought out project, but I'd suggest going with the full moon clips. Occasionally you'll have a time when the extractor star rides under the rim of a case. I'd say it's a 1 in 1000 occurance, but since you're putting the $ into the gun, might as well go with the moon clips.

Honestly I don't think a 480 needs to be ported, but you should put the Hogue grips on.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    Magnaport does phenominal trigger jogs on ruger's, I doubt you can find anyone that will top them.

Sounds like a well thought out project, but I'd suggest going with the full moon clips. Occasionally you'll have a time when the extractor star rides under the rim of a case. I'd say it's a 1 in 1000 occurance, but since you're putting the $ into the gun, might as well go with the moon clips.

Honestly I don't think a 480 needs to be ported, but you should put the Hogue grips on.
    I totally agree, just thought I would mention which Hogue grip, and that is the Decelartor, it has that soft cushion in the web, it is identical to the the standard ruber grip but has that nice soft cushion for about $10.00 more! My $.02

Has anybody here gone with the Magnaport Advantage? I was thinking about going the same route. The only thing that puts me off about the whole package thing is the porting - which is Magnaport's bread and butter. At this point in life,my ears have already heard way too many loud things that have eaten my hearing.

Just have to wonder- after all this time and money won't it be cheaper to just go with a stock S&W .500?

The weight and bulk is about the same and you won't have to pay for all the work to make the Ruger lockwork perform almost like a stock Smith.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Default Wolverine

I had this done to my Super Redhawk and love it. I would defiantly get the moon clip treatment. that is probably the aspect of their treatment I like the best. Nice to be able to change your load instantly. I don't think you can go wrong with it. Jim

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    Just have to wonder- after all this time and money won't it be cheaper to just go with a stock S&W .500?

The weight and bulk is about the same and you won't have to pay for all the work to make the Ruger lockwork perform almost like a stock Smith.
    I'd imagine the ruger would be lighter, but more imporatntly it's shootable in a light gun that doesn't require a muzzle brake. I've shot enough of bigger bores to know what I can and can't shoot accurately. There's a point at which bigger isn't always better.

If you compare the total weights of a SRH to a Xframe .500 there isn't a lot of difference - bigger isn' that much bigger. The S&W has a lighter frame although the cylinder for the .500 is larger to handle the bigger cartridge. I haven't heard of any problems with the X frame's frame - it clearly shows what can be done with a properly designed forged part vs. an investment casting. I wish S&W would use the knowledge they learned on the X frame make a slightly larger N frame that would handle the .454 class cartridges - they will give Ruger a real run for the money when they filled the gap between the N & X frames.

One of the mods mentioned was to a muzzle brake. For a large caliber handgun the brake does help tame the recoil although it is an annoyance to others around you at the range. I've been shooting my .500 frequently for a year or so and really don't see the brake as an issue.

One big advantage of the .500 of course is that ammo and handloading components are readily avaliable. You can load it down if you can't handle the recoil of the normal loads. I tried the Lee bullet molds and sizer for my .500 S&W and found they work acceptably - one doesn't have to shot expensive jacketed bullets in either caliber.

I find for the first couple of rounds I can shoot a big bore about as accurate as a smaller calibers. For repeated shooting the fatigue factor of the larger heavier guns tends to come into play however and accuracy suffers. For hunting or defensive shooting only the first couple of shots count anyway- I don't expect to get into a long running gun battle with a large caliber revolver

One BIG advantage I'll found from shooting the .500 S&W - my 629 .44 mag just doesn't recoil anymore - I can shoot more rounds through it without lossing accuracy. I found the same thing when I went from a .357 to a .44 over 40 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    I'd imagine the ruger would be lighter, but more imporatntly it's shootable in a light gun that doesn't require a muzzle brake. I've shot enough of bigger bores to know what I can and can't shoot accurately. There's a point at which bigger isn't always better.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

I'll found from shooting the .500 S&W - my 629 .44 mag just doesn't recoil anymore - I can shoot more rounds through it without lossing accuracy. I found the same thing when I went from a .357 to a .44 over 40 years ago.
    If you miss having heavy recoil in a .44 mag you can always shoot my 329 PD to bring ya back to the good ol' days.

I've got a 329 PD also - it is one flat nasty painfull piece of hardware - the .460 and .500 S&Ws are much more pleasant to shoot. The 329 PD HURTS - the others have a lot of recoil but there is no getting around the pain of firing a 329 PD. I don't flinch firing mine - but it takes some will power.

But the 329 PD has its place as a pocket pistol where the bigger guns would be left behind in camp or in the truck. The 329 PD is a "must have" IMO for anyone in Alaska that gets outside the house.

I'm going to try some 310 gr. bullets in mine tomorrow. Heavier bullets seem to have a heavy but less sharp recoil - perhaps the heavier bullets will be less painfull.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    If you miss having heavy recoil in a .44 mag you can always shoot my 329 PD to bring ya back to the good ol' days.

I agree it is a pretty intense to shoot. Like you though I certainly have it on my hip and don't mind it there at only 1.5 pounds. It was painful to shoot with the standard sized hogue grip that mine came with. I upgraded for $20 to the X-frame grip (same as your 500 S&W) that has some padding actually on the backstrap of the grip. Now its a bit more manageable, still not nearly as tame as a 629, but my hands aren't mad at me around 20 rounds.

The intensity does not bother me - it is the flat ***** hurt factor with the standard grips. I don't know why they even package the hard wood grips with the gun.

Switching to the X frame grips is the best solution if bulk isn't an issue. I usually carry my 329 PD in my pocket - if I strap on a holster I just carry my 629.

I also have a 357 PD - the same gun in .41 Magnum. I bought it because I got a heck of a deal on it after they were discountinued. I haven't shot it yet because it may eventually have some collector value. I reality the .41 Mag is probably a better choice of caliber although I don't have the variety of bullet molds for the .41.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    I agree it is a pretty intense to shoot. Like you though I certainly have it on my hip and don't mind it there at only 1.5 pounds. It was painful to shoot with the standard sized hogue grip that mine came with. I upgraded for $20 to the X-frame grip (same as your 500 S&W) that has some padding actually on the backstrap of the grip. Now its a bit more manageable, still not nearly as tame as a 629, but my hands aren't mad at me around 20 rounds.

Where to start?

First off, it's a Ford/Chevy thing. I'm a Ruger fan, hands down. And honestly, I don't think it needs ANY mods to function beautifully. I'm just a mod addict, whether it's my house, truck, sled, wheeler, gun, or wife. No, my bride is good stock.

Second, the Redhawk frame has been around A LOT longer than the S&W .500.

Third, I don't like stubby barrels. 5 inches is about as short as I'll go, and .500 are MUCH heavier than the Redhawks/SRH's in 5" and longer guns.

Finally, the Wolverine package lightens the SRH considerably - I should have a tame, larger bore gun in the mid 40 oz range ROUGHLY. And I haven't looked it up, but that is CONSIDERABLY lighter than the .500, while still being comfortable to shoot. I'm a small dude with small hands, so I want a comfortable gun with as much HP as possible. Since I play around with reloading, the .480 seemed attractive. If I didn't, I probably would have stuck with the .44, or sucked it up and endured the .454.

The only thing I'm still not positive on is the porting. I'm leaning toward it, but need to spend some more time at the range with Hogue grips on.

Go RUGER baby!! haha...

I dont really see the Ruger . S&W thing as a Ford / Chevy thing exactly - the S&W guns are more expensive and are overall a higher quality gun in terms of fit, finish ,and construction. The Rugers are obviously a better value if you don't see or appreciate the difference. I just don't see trying to make a Ruger into a Smith by reworking the actions etc. If you like mods the S&W is open to that also - make a 5 1/2" none ported etc.

The weight difference between the smaller X frames and the Rugers isn't that significant - the S&W aren't that much heavier. A S&W .500 6 1/2 barrel weight is 60.7 oz while Ruger 7 1/2" in .454 is 53 oz and a RH in .44 Mag is 54 oz. All this data is from the current on-line catalogs. The 4" .500 I carry is 56 oz. - compare the weight to a RH in .44 mag at 54 oz. and then compare the power levels. Of course I carry the 4" .500 for bears so the better accuracy from the longer barrel isn't important that important. Besides- the muzzel blast from the .500 should scare off about any critter around.

Of course if you handload you can drop the power of the .500 down to match a .480 recoil and still have a larger heavier bullet- there is just no substitute for diameter and mass.

Out of curosity - how much do you figure your .480 will cost final total price including the basic gun and mods?

Where to start?

First off, it's a Ford/Chevy thing. I'm a Ruger fan, hands down. And honestly, I don't think it needs ANY mods to function beautifully. I'm just a mod addict, whether it's my house, truck, sled, wheeler, gun, or wife. No, my bride is good stock.

Second, the Redhawk frame has been around A LOT longer than the S&W .500.

Third, I don't like stubby barrels. 5 inches is about as short as I'll go, and .500 are MUCH heavier than the Redhawks/SRH's in 5" and longer guns.

Finally, the Wolverine package lightens the SRH considerably - I should have a tame, larger bore gun in the mid 40 oz range ROUGHLY. And I haven't looked it up, but that is CONSIDERABLY lighter than the .500, while still being comfortable to shoot. I'm a small dude with small hands, so I want a comfortable gun with as much HP as possible. Since I play around with reloading, the .480 seemed attractive. If I didn't, I probably would have stuck with the .44, or sucked it up and endured the .454.

The only thing I'm still not positive on is the porting. I'm leaning toward it, but need to spend some more time at the range with Hogue grips on.

Go RUGER baby!! haha...

The weight difference between the smaller X frames and the Rugers isn't that significant - the S&W aren't that much heavier. A S&W .500 6 1/2 barrel weight is 60.7 oz while Ruger 7 1/2" in .454 is 53 oz and a RH in .44 Mag is 54 oz. All this data is from the current on-line catalogs. The 4" .500 I carry is 56 oz. - compare the weight to a RH in .44 mag at 54 oz. and then compare the power levels. Of course I carry the 4" .500 for bears so the better accuracy from the longer barrel isn't important that important. Besides- the muzzel blast from the .500 should scare off about any critter around.
    My RH (44 Mag/4 inch) weighs exactly 47 oz. unloaded. That's 9 oz lighter than a 4" .500. I'd call nearly 20% more weight (more than half a pound) significant. YMMV
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

My 329 PD weighs in at just 26 oz if you just want to compare 4" .44 mags - your RH is about 75% heavier than mine - now that is a CONSIDERABLE difference by any standards! If you want to just compare standard SS guns the 4" 629 weight is 41.5 oz - yours is over 10% heavier.

My point was that the X frames aren't that much heavier than the RHs and SRHs especially when you consider the vast differences in power of the cartridges they are shooting. I'll tote the extra 9 oz to carry a .500 and never really notice the difference - nor would you anymore than you would notice the extra weight of your RH over my 629. If weight is my primary concern I'll grab my 329 PD - it is light enough to carry in my pocket and then the much lesser weight does make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    My RH (44 Mag/4 inch) weighs exactly 47 oz. unloaded. That's 9 oz lighter than a 4" .500. I'd call nearly 20% more weight (more than half a pound) significant. YMMV

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast