Thread: Alaska Backpacker ammo for the 45 colt.

Default Alaska Backpacker ammo for the 45 colt.

Does anyone have experience with Alaska Backpacker ammo? I just picked up my new Blackhawk and also some 335 gr flat nose hard cast from Backpacker. The guy who sold me the gun felt they were fairly hot loads but didn't have any data on them. Not much on the internet other than a few hits on the Ruger forum..

Default Search?

Popular question.

Here's a good thread: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...267#post747267

Try Advanced Search, then Google search of forums.outdoorsdirectory.com.
    Just type in Alaska Backpacker or whatever...

Good luck.

Default Will probably chronograph these someday.

Quote Originally Posted by 6XLeech View Post
    Popular question.

Here's a good thread: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...267#post747267

Try Advanced Search, then Google search of forums.outdoorsdirectory.com.
    Just type in Alaska Backpacker or whatever...

Good luck.
    Thanks.. This Backpacker guy likes his privacy! From the postings I have read, most of which pertained to the 44 mag, I am not sure what I should do with them. Curiosity will probably get the better of me and will likely want to chronograph them someday (unless someone beats me to the punch) and get some idea what sort of pressure these loads have, but not today. From the sound of it they are good loads to carry in the woods for max penetration, but not great on the gun nor the hand..

I have some of the "Alaska BackPacker" ammo in 44 mag. 320 gr. I haven't been to the range with it yet.........I just arrived in Juneau last week. I'll probably head over to the public outdoor range the first of next week, I'll run some of it through my Redhawk and let ya know how it does.

Hey, I can finally solve the mystery of the Alaska Backpacker Ammo for sure & for good. I was able to confirm my assumptions by talking directly to the manafacture.
    It is made for VF Grace in Anchorage by "The Ammo Shop" in Kenai.
    He makes the ammo & they supply the packaging.
    You can buy the same stuff directly from him in his shop & at gun shows around the state. His ammo is tested & meets SAAMI specs. He said he has no problem with folks knowing that he is the manafacture.
    If you want to buy ammo directly from him his # is 283-6110.

When I buy a gun in a new caliber I get my ammo from him to start a brass collectio. I've used his 450 Marlin, 41 mag, 44 mag, 45 Colt, 270 Winchester, 32 Special, 10mm, 38sp, (and others I probably can't remember) & have never had a missfire or scary round.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Quote Originally Posted by lc335 View Post
    I have some of the "Alaska BackPacker" ammo in 44 mag. 320 gr. I haven't been to the range with it yet.........I just arrived in Juneau last week. I'll probably head over to the public outdoor range the first of next week, I'll run some of it through my Redhawk and let ya know how it does.
    Please do. I may bump into you out there someday. This summer I have been out there a few times during the week shooting my guide gun. I want to start loading for my Blackhawk as it is so much fun to shoot and I will surely go broke buying factory..!

45 Colt with 335 is great, my 4 5/8" blackhawk gets a steady diet of em, well 340 grain, better than a hot 44 mag load, and in your gun as good as it gets!! I shoot em hotter than you want to run through the lighter built single actions or Smiths, so my handloads might be hotter than these, but even loaded down they will PEEEENNNNNAAAATTTTRAAAAAAAAAATTTEEEE! ! ! I am sure you wont have a problem feeding a steady diet of em in your blackhawk, it is one of the strongest most durable 45's built, and will take steady 44 mag level pressures, with no harm to the gun. enjoy and let us know how you like em.

Quote Originally Posted by WILDCATTER View Post
    45 Colt with 335 is great, my 4 5/8" blackhawk gets a steady diet of em, well 340 grain, better than a hot 44 mag load, and in your gun as good as it gets!! I shoot em hotter than you want to run through the lighter built single actions or Smiths, so my handloads might be hotter than these, but even loaded down they will PEEEENNNNNAAAATTTTRAAAAAAAAAATTTEEEE! ! ! I am sure you wont have a problem feeding a steady diet of em in your blackhawk, it is one of the strongest most durable 45's built, and will take steady 44 mag level pressures, with no harm to the gun. enjoy and let us know how you like em.
    Thats good to know, thanks for the report. I did want a 4 5/8 model but the 5.5" was the only one available on Gun Genie (the ONLY Blackhawk 45 Colt available in non-stainless, and just that one gun) so decided I could live with an extra 7/8" Now that I have the 5 1/2" I am happy with it as is with no regrets. I have been shooting some factory Winchester 255gr and I am here to tell you, that gun is fun to shoot! I bought the backpacker ammo not so much to shoot but just to keep in the gun when I am out in the woods, but I plan to test it out too. Someday I am going to start reloading 45 Colt whenever I get more time, probably next winter.

Quote Originally Posted by eagle55 View Post
    Please do. I may bump into you out there someday. This summer I have been out there a few times during the week shooting my guide gun. I want to start loading for my Blackhawk as it is so much fun to shoot and I will surely go broke buying factory..!

Eagle55, the "Back Packer Ammo" did a great job in my Redhawk 44 mag. Accuracy is very good, and the power is as well. I'll keep using it, I like it better than the "305 grn COR-BON".