Thread: Please stop!!!!!!!!!!!!

Angry Please stop!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last night me and the wife was setting on the bait stands on the Big-Su a few miles south of the confluence of the Yetena and all was going well. Nice quiet, bears on the bait but waiting for one with a nice coat then we have a Super Cub, light blue and white on tires, buzz over head. This individual was flying with another Yellow, Cub???. We had our boat parked up a small creek a mile or so off the main river and this individual saw the boat and began to circle. Not once, or twice. Hell not even three times but EIGHT times. Out, over and around, his/her flight path took them directly over our heads and ran everything off. I do fly with a good friend and we have never bothered anyone to this manner. We have circled once or twice but move on. Please, if this was you or you may know who this individual is, have some courtesy for your fellow outdoors men/women and PLEASE STOP. I didn't get the tail number as we were trying to remain still because my wife was really hoping to kill her first bear but after this ***** buzzed the area for a good 15-20 min we didnít see another animal.

I guess someone decided you all did well enough on bears this season. Seriously though this kind of stuff sucks and I hope you do not have other issues.

I have only had a plane circle around once while hunting and that was this spring while skinning a black bear on a sand bar. Ended up being a trooper and he landed in and checked us out. I sure couldn't tell as he flew by but it was a lighter blue cub with some white on it(very nice cub!). Nice guy and good pilot from what I saw. He was able to cut power before touching down so we did not get sand blasted and asked for our help positioning his plane for takeoff to avoid blasting us as well.

That does suck, but alas, you're baiting in a area where everybody's brother and sister flies their planes nowadays.

Default Both sides??

Quote Originally Posted by ironartist View Post
    You made the exact post in the bush plane forum, guys really need to QUIT DOING THIS!This is B.S. on both sides
    How is this B.S on both sides? I put it there just in case the guy flying doesn't read the hunting forums, like the guy I fly with. He has no interest in reading this hunting forum but reads the Bush plane forum like 6 times every hr. Then you have guys like you and me who will read all the forums if it sounds interesting. I'd put this post in 10 different forums if I knew the guilty person would see it and know it is unacceptable. You have no reason to be upset at this unless you are the guilty one or know who is. This is just a post asking members of two different outdoor groups to give each other a little respect.

Sorry to hear that man. Hope the rest of your hunt goes better and your wife gets her bear. I agree on the second point as well. If it happened to me I would post it in every forum I could. I would definitely try and get tail numbers next time though!
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

If it wasn't a trooper, then maybe it was just a concerned pilot trying to make certain help was not needed. Or possibly the pilot saw the bears but didn't see any well camouflaged hunters or notice a boat and the pilot was "sight seeing" the bears. Or possibly it was a PETA commissioned flight for the specific purpose of disrupting bear hunters. Or, even more nefarious, the pilot was checking out your bait station to see if you were there or not for the purpose of illegally hunting your site.

There are lots of possibilities and it may be "happier" for you to simply chalk it up to a brief, temporary disruption to that one hunting period. The panties in a bunch metaphor may apply.

When I fly I pay attention to the FAA rules regarding maintaining distance from people. I cannot imagine circling a hunter 8 times unless I thought they were in distress. But if I saw a group of bears, or a group of wolves, or some other interesting thing, I may circle a number of times for the enjoyment I receive out of it if I didn't think I was disrupting someone. It very well may have taken 8 circles to figure out that the group of bears your guy saw was actually congregating at a bait site with obvious signs of being hunted at that time.

A boring day at work.

One spring, years ago, we had a Satabre' (sp?) circle our boat while we were on a Spring Break up Flood hunt, circled once, raelly waving and pointing, waving , he went down up river and we heard him land.
    Turned out he was having fuel problems and landed on a short and curved sand bar a couple bends up the river. (He took off in a curve as well.)
    We gave him a ride down river and got him 20 gallons of gas and a clean drum so he could purge his system.
    He sent me 14 cases of MRE's that summer, to say Thanks.

You never know........
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Default Thoughts

I have thought of all the posibilities of "what it may have been". If this individual was having problems they would've surely hit the trees as low as they were. On one of their passes they were less than 30 foot from the tree top we were setting in. I know they saw the boat becasue they flew right over it 4 times really low. They lined it up as if they were flying a fighter jet, down they dove as low as they could and buzzed it. Maybe they were checking in to make sure nothing was wrong. It was a Thursday night and there is a boat in the middle of no where. But at some point this person should've went on their marry way. I'm all about checking on folks up and down the river while I'm out and about, but this was a little excesive.
    There was no way he could've seen the bait as it is in some thick dark woods, so I know he couldn't of seen us in the stand.

Stranger -- Citabria, which is AIRBATIC spelled backwards. Just a little trick to help remember that. Not that you'd ever need it again...

Very fortunate pilot that you guys were there for him that day!

Taylor

I didn't even understand the guy accusing GA of too many posts. Weird.

Too bad GA couldn't get a better description so he could call a trooper to look into it. A couple years ago after a plane buzzed me several times near Becharof, I talked to a trooper who said he definitely would follow up any leads on pilots harassing hunters.

Light blue and white? Haha! Maybe that was the troopers? All the trooper cubs are blue and white. Just look online at their web page.

How do you know these guys saw you? Did you jump out and wave? Maybe they never knew you were there. Maybe they were looking for someone.
    Maybe a little early in the game to consider this "harassment".
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Default Been there...

GA-

My family has a cabin near the confluence of the Su and Yetna-we have been down there several times this year and those two planes have been all over the place- it was just annoying to us, as our kids sleeping at 7 am and these guys are buzzing all over the river. Don't know who they are, but if I see them down there again I'll get their 'N' numbers- just seems like common courtesy to keep some distance. There are cabins everywhere on the river and these guys are flying tree-tops over them- and as stated, not just one or twice- but over and over and over and over, okay I'll stop.

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Light blue and white? Haha! Maybe that was the troopers? All the trooper cubs are blue and white. Just look online at their web page.
    That's what I thought. But what about the yellow cub? That wouldn't be a trooper....

Tim

OK, guys. We were getting pretty muddled with an off-topic 'conversation'...

If you feel the need to discuss it, please do so on the general discussion area. Thanks