Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please stop!!!!!!

Angry Please stop!!!!!!

Last night me and the wife was setting on the bait stands on the Big-Su a few miles south of the confluence of the Yetena and all was going well. Nice quiet, bears on the bait but waiting for one with a nice coat then we have a Super Cub, light blue and white on tires, buzz over head. This individual was flying with another Yellow, Cub???. We had our boat parked up a small creek a mile or so off the main river and this individual saw the boat and began to circle. Not once, or twice. Hell not even three times but EIGHT times. Out, over and around, his/her flight path took them directly over our heads and ran everything off. I do fly with a good friend and we have never bothered anyone to this manner. We have circled once or twice but move on. Please, if this was you or you may know who this individual is, have some courtesy for your fellow outdoors men/women and PLEASE STOP. I didn't get the tail number as we were trying to remain still because my wife was really hoping to kill her first bear but after this ***** buzzed the area for a good 15-20 min we didn’t see another animal.

I feel for you, there is no excuse for that crap!!

I posted about an identical situation while moose hunting last season. It was a light blue/white cub and a yellow cub with maroon numbers but they were doing it on different nights, not together.

It was just like you said...I had moose nearby and coming in..they circled once, twice, three times.....again and again...even after I stood up and walked into an opening waving my arms.

I got the tail number off the yellow plane and looked up the owners name. I havent called him out, but if it happens again we will have a conversation.

I think i'll carry a potato gun with me this year....

Heres a link to a lengthy discussion on these annoying flying pests:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...t=62986&page=6

thats an ignorant person, I'd classify that as hunter harrassment! Get a picture next time,
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Default Possibilities

There are alot of possibilities. If you were hidden very well at all (if you were bear baiting I hope you were), they didn't see you. Maybe he was making low passes on a place to land. I made about 10 low passes (it was kinda sporty) on a potential landing area this fall on a little knoll for sheep hunting. On about the tenth, I noticed 2 guys standing buy a tent about 1000 meters away. They probably thought I was "harassing" them as well. I felt like a dork for not seeing them, but definitely no ill will intended. I moved on. Point being, they may have been doing a recon on a place to land/hunt/fish/ski/play hockey/badmitton/whatever. Not saying you are wrong. Just that there are MANY logical conclusions that don't include ill will. Maybe there were 2 bears humping (or any other odd ball nature scene) in the next meadow. I saw that a couple weeks ago. I circled that scene a few times! Couldn't believe it. I felt dirty.

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    ...even after I stood up and walked into an opening waving my arms.
    Waving arms is a sign of distress. He may have been trying to be a good samaritan and help.
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·..¸¸ ><((((º>`·.¸¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

I have witnessed probably those same airplanes on a sandbar not far from where you are talking about. There is a big sandbar just downstream from the Yentna. They seem to land and then take off together or separately. They will be gone for a few minutes and then return. My guess is you were up Anderson. It is pretty thick in there. They may not have even noticed you guys and were just playing in the area. If they were trying to screw with you guys they'll be back in the area and a tail number should not be hard to capture.

How many of you complaining hold a pilots license, have even flown a small aircraft or spent 50 or more hours riding in one? As far as the potato gun comment... That is ridiculous and a federal offense for tampering with any aircraft. Many of these people flying have spent their life savings on an aircraft and have a deep passion for the joy of flying and to suggest you shoot at one with a patato gun? Sorry to you camoflaged people in a remote section of the woods that were offended by the guy that is obeying all FAR's and is busy paying attention to the safe operation of his aircraft who doesnt see you on the ground as you are hiding from the bears which oddly makes you near invisble from the pilots perspective........

Default I have about 100 plus hrs in a CUB

Quote Originally Posted by UM_Zac View Post
    How many of you complaining hold a pilots license, have even flown a small aircraft or spent 50 or more hours riding in one? As far as the potato gun comment... That is ridiculous and a federal offense for tampering with any aircraft. Many of these people flying have spent their life savings on an aircraft and have a deep passion for the joy of flying and to suggest you shoot at one with a patato gun? Sorry to you camoflaged people in a remote section of the woods that were offended by the guy that is obeying all FAR's and is busy paying attention to the safe operation of his aircraft who doesnt see you on the ground as you are hiding from the bears which oddly makes you near invisble from the pilots perspective........
    flying,"back seat", with a really good friend and I know what it's like to get out and have fun flying and landing on the gravel bars up and down the rivers. I've thought of all the posibilities of why they buzzed over head for so long and maybe they were trying to make sure nothing was wrong. I do know that this individual saw the boat because they lined it up in their sights and flew as low as possible, right at tree top, directly over it 4 times. It's not about being hidden so know one can see me or the wife, it's about knowing that someone is below you and now that you've seen them/the boat and "checked to make sure nothing was wrong", it's time to move on.

ROSCO,

I know of the sand bar you are talking about, it is about 2 miles from where we were and we have seen several aircraft do this but none have ever come over us this many times for this long.

Any way, we are done in the area for a while as of last night becasue the wife killed her first black bear, 6'4". So there ya go you buzzers you. Safe flying to ya!!!!

Default ?

If you would of been hurt and not by the boat, you would of complained?
    You where out hunting and there was a boat all by it self with no one visible. 2nd, did they actually chase the game, cause I hunt back by knik glacier and lake george and will tell you normally planes are not going to chase off bears Unless they are right on top of them) and if they do normally least only to nearest alders. I see about 25 planes a day where I hunt and its a nice reassurance having them there if something does go wrong. 3rd, this time of year most people would think you would be fishing and not bear hunting and maybe thought you fell in or something. 4th, Why did the guy not have the right to do what he did if he did not see you? And most cubs with a nice breeze on the river can land on bars 50-200 feet, so you would be surprized at some of the places me and some of my friend land and many of them you might shoot approaches on 10 times to be comfortable, Or comback and attemp it another day.

Terry

Just food for thought

Congrats on the bear. I'm glad you guys had success despite the challenges. On another note, I spend quite a bit of time up that way. Seems like fewer bears around this year, but lots of cow and calves. I really like it out that way.

First off, the potato gun comment was a joke, hence the funny face icon... no amount of harrassment is worth potentially ending someones life. Duh.

UM Zac, because you decided to put your life savings into an airplane gives you the right to harrass legal hunters who have made the effor to scout an area on foot then proceeding to hunt it? Whatever...

I've spent 100's of hours in cubs and 185's while working for a outfitter so i've had a bit of flying time.

terry, I never thought of it that way, lol. You guys are just flying around looking for people to help, lol...

Phish, you missed the part where I said he had circled over me about 8 times already (and a bull who HAD been coming in to calls).

Look there are alot of nice guys who fly. I know many of them. This isnt carte blanc about PILOTS! It is a complaint about the JERK PILOTS.

There are jerks in all walks of life. I accept that. Doesnt mean we can't complain about the pilots who KNOWINGLY harrass hunters and game.

Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
    Congrats on the bear. I'm glad you guys had success despite the challenges. On another note, I spend quite a bit of time up that way. Seems like fewer bears around this year, but lots of cow and calves. I really like it out that way.
    I agree, roscoe, there are WAY fewer bears on the river this year than I've seen in the last 10 years or so. Looks like alot of people been thinning out growlers in the last couple of years.

Default Funny but

In the last five years I have actually rescued a boater and 2 pilot from accidents. Funny sometimes people have a feeling when things just dont seem right. Don't get me wrong, the are bad pilots and jerks also, but there are pilots that cares. Its, just the Alaskan way. But, you must be one of the kind that everyone is out to get you and we owe you something dkwarthog.

Terry

The only thing any pilot owes me the respect that if you see me on a moose or standing in my backyard that you dont circle 20 times doing a flyby at treetops. I'll never ask for anything else...I promise,lol

Terry, it's nothing personal. I just had some really irritating experiences over a span of a couple weeks last fall. I should just stuff it I suppose.

Believe it or not, I am over it, but it has caused me to form an opinion on the issue of flying to spot game and ethical behaviour in the sky.

BTW, maybe it's partially due to the hassles I get based on where I live. Alot of pilots seem to think that as long as your over a "rural" area, it's ok to fly treetops over peoples homes, even on the road system. Many times I've look out my kitchen window and seen the TOPS of airplanes as they fly past my house. (I live on a hill) Is that acceptable flying in your opinion?

Sorry if I come off sounding aggravated. I know that its a relatively small minority of pilots. Like I said, its not personal.

The FARs used to say a pilot must fly above 500-ft AGL or at an altitude that recognizes the life and/or property of others.

No one has mentioned this yet: many times over the years, Anchorage Approach has caught me on the way back in to Anchorage to ask if I'd divert to locate a party reported lost or in trouble of some sort, Many of those were in small boats and up small streams. I recall one foggy night that I was asked to try to locate a blue-and-white boat somewhere up the LIttle Susitna, and near its mouth, which had been reported as in some sort of trouble. Found the boat, though only made three passes to determine that no one was with the boat and no troubles were apparent. So - - - could even have been something like that.

Though I doubt it . . . . . . . . . .

Default FARs

Mort Better look at those FARs again if you think you always have to have 500 agl. 91.119 a. An altitude allowing, if power unit fails, an emergency landing without undue hazard to persons or property on the surface.

b. Over congested areas. Over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons, an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2,000 feet of the aircraft.

c. Over other than congested areas. An altitude of 500 feet above the surface, EXCEPT OVER OPEN WATER OR SPARSELY POPULATED AREAS. In those cases, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehical, or structure.

Thanks for posting that Zac.

Any clarification as to the definition of "open water" or "sparsely populated".

Is there a section in the FAR code that defines those terms?

Except when taking off or landing. I can circle a sandbar or patch of ground to assess the suitability for landing even when people are present nearby. If I decide The area was not suitable, perhaps after a few circuits, off I fly. No violation occurred. If the above average Cub pilot saw a boat on a secluded creek and thought there was a chance that the boat was there for king fishing the Cub driver may take a few spins to try to find a place to land or to see if a guy was fishing fair. That would be my first thought if I saw a boat this time of year.

Absolutely agree...

I think that my first sentence noted that the FARS USED TO SAY!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast