Thread: Multiple hook-ups in late May?

Default Multiple hook-ups in late May?

Hello,

I will be visiting Alaska May 26th-June 4th. My wife and I will be in the Anchorage area for 2 1/2 days, then taking a cruise that stops in Skagway, Juneau, and Ketchikan. I want to dedicate one or two days to "Alaska fishing," preferably fly fishing, and with an emphasis on multiple hook-ups rather than trophy fish.

From what I have read so far, I'm leaning toward a half-day guided trip for Kasilof kings and a day to hike from one of the three ports to a trout stream. Can anyone provide feedback on both ideas?...

If we are going to do a 1/2-day guided trip in the Anchorage/Kenai area in late May, is the Kasilof king trip a good option, or is their an option that would offer a lot more hook-ups of nice size bows/dolly varden? Any recommendations for a guide based on personal experience?

As far as a hike to a nice stream, how is our timing (late May/ early June)? Priority order for the three ports? Any specific recommendations for hikes/streams?

Thanks in advance,
    Mike
    gambler-01@cox.net

Default Good luck. . .

Quote Originally Posted by gambler01 View Post
    . . .with an emphasis on multiple hook-ups rather than trophy fish.
    It would help to know what you consider "multiple." Two or three per hour? Two or three per day?

Perhaps the best compromise between multiple hook-ups and size that time of year would be the Kasilof, and Piscatorial Pursuits are among the best for putting clients on the fish.

Others may have more ideas. . . good luck.

Default "multiple hook-ups"

Well it depends. During 5 hours on the water, we would be thrilled to net 3-4 salmon each, but we would hope for more like 3-4 per hour while targeting trout. We'd rather not spend 5 hours fishing to net a single 40-lb fish. Thanks for the guide recommendation.

3-4 salmon each, only possible on the Kasilof, but unlikely. Trout is closed during that time. I feel for Bob, pretty high expectations, but if anyone can do it on the Kasilof it is Bob.

Unhappy Great Expectations. . .

What yukon said! Your expectations are a bit unrealistic for that time of year.

"Bob" is Bob Ball of Piscatorial Pursuits.

Marcus!!! We agree!!!! LOL

Have a good weekend.

Default May expectations

Since I haven't fished with Bob or his guides, this is second hand. I did inquire of Piscatorial Pursuits last year about the best dates for catching numbers of kings and got a response from Bob directly. Your timing is actually right on, as he wrote, "Typically, for the best numbers on the early fish, you want to
    look at the last few days of May through about the 10-12th of June." However, I believe he only runs full-day trips. I've seen posts of his where they hooked double-digit numbers of fish on the Kasilof - but probably with 4 people fishing a full day. Remember, these are kings your talking about, not sockeye, where a 6-fish limit might be caught in only a few hours (when the limit is such), but that would be in July/August.
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

Default May 07

I had to re-read my post to see what I wrote. I didnt mean to imply that I expect to catch 3-4 kings each. What I would be thrilled to catch and what I expect can be completely different. I'll talk to Bob and see what he says.

Hoping to get some feedback on lakes or streams we can hike to at one of the ports. Would probably only fish for an hour or two.

Default May fishing

I would not count on multiple hook-ups fishing on the Kasilof in late May. Last year the run was just starting out. Probably have a better chance of hooking fish the first & second week of June. Keep in mind your fishing 4 people per drift boat, and it's not my idea of a great fishing experience. If you want to use a fly rod consider bank fishing Deep Creek, Ninilchik, or Anchor Rivers for Kings. The fishing is only open Saturday through Monday. Check the regs on the first weekend the rivers open to fishing. The only down side is it can get crowded. Another option is to book a halibut salmon combo charter out of Deep Creek.

Four people in a drift boat is probably a better experience than hundreds on a weekend opener. Bob is pretty sneaky, he often fishes different times than others and can get away from the crowds, he really has that river dialed in.

Quote Originally Posted by yukon View Post
    he really has that river dialed in.
    No doubt !!!
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Default Kasilof fishin

I fished with Bob's outfit a couple of seasons ago on the Kasilof in mid July. He runs a good operation. Managed to hook a nice 25lb fish. June is month for numbers of fish. July for the opportunity at a 50 - 60lber.

Little Su in Wasilla? It's an hour outside of Anchorage.
    brad g.
    So Cal, USA
    Visit my Sporting Clays website
    http://www.ysr-racer.com

You could hook into a king or two, or even three on Ship Creek (Anchorage) but you'll absolutely have to be dialed in to what you are doing and the run will have to be on. I've had 6 fish mornings there (4 in an hour). Rare, but I've had 'em. A warning though - If the run is on, the crowds will likely be against you . . . .

I dunno if Alaska Fly Guys is still around but that time of year is great for trout fishing in local lakes and thats where he guides.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Red face

Thanks for the kudos fellas

Typically, very good numbers of fish begin showing the last 4-7 days of the month.

Peak numbers are usually somewhere around the end of the first week of June.

Last year, 2006, the fish were quite late and most of May was pretty tough by our standards. However, the year prior 2005 ... more on normal timing, we began fishing on May 20, we went 8 for 17 on our first day. We averaged over 3 landed fish per rod the last four days of May.

So, the expectations are not too far off ... but then again, they call the game fishing

And since state law only allows me to run one trip daily ... we do full days only during king season.

We've been known to be a little on the different side when it comes to fishing the river ... sneaky? Of course!

Lots of snow in them hills this winter ... good runoff and big tide series in mid-May should hopefully spell better early season fishing this year! We're also going to start seeing returns from much improved natural spwan within Crooked Creek from previous years as well. Fingers crossed for a good early king run ... just gotta sort through a few hundred steelhead in the Washington rain over the next few months first!

Default kasilof not a great "fly" fishery

I also guide on the Kasilof River - and in my opinion Late May is a great time to go.... however, it seems to be getting increasingly difficult to catch fish there as the years go on. Blame it on the hatchery system, increased pressure, commercial fishing, whatever you want, but it's the truth. Don't get me wrong, you can still catch plenty of fish on the Kasilof when you hit it right, but the days of boats catching 10-20 fish per day on a regular basis are pretty rare, no matter what they tell you. I would say that a boat of four fishermen on a 6-8 hour trip would average about 10 good bites and 5 fish landed. There are always days when you do much better (or worse), but a 5 fish day is pretty good nowadays. I speak from experience fishing this river for the last 15 years from may through august. I see Bob and the dozens of other guides out there every day and I'm sure he'd agree with me. Oh yea, and be ready for crowds.... unless you're out there at 3am, which some guides choose to do, and I would recommend myself.
    I also have to point out that this is not really a fly fishery. It's a gear fishery unless you count flipping a piece of yarn with 1/2-3/4 oz of lead on your leader as fly fishing. I personally don't count that as fly fishing, even if you are using a "fly" and a fly rod. I don't mean to sound so gloomy, but I want you to know what to expect. I take dozens of fishermen on the Kasilof every year and almost all of them enjoy the trip. If I wanted to catch fish in Late May/Early June ON A FLY, I might look elsewhere. Kings on fly is always a challenge, but there are places you can expect to do so. A fly out/more remote fishery may be what you're looking for.

Default trout regs... think about grayling

I just reread your posts and realized that you were considering trout as well. Just to let you know... trout season in most flowing waters opens June 15th around here. I was also thinking that you may want to look into fishing for grayling. I would fly into Crescent Lake (expensive) or go north of Anchorage to one of the lakes or streams up there. Look into it because you can often expect to catch a grayling on every third cast when conditions are right, and they love to eat flies! Grayling only average about 10 inches in most places, but 12-14 inchers aren't uncommon and they're beautiful fish. The kids would love it and I think you would too.