Thread: Willow Creek Campground Boat Launch?

Default Willow Creek Campground Boat Launch?

Hi,

Is the boat launch/take out at the mouth of Willow Creek viable to launch a shallow running jet drive boat into the Susitna River? Everything I have read leads me to believe there is a boat ramp there but it sounds like it is primarily used as a drift boat take out from people coming down Willow Creek.

I know the Deshka Landing boat ramp exists but I was looking for more options of accessing the Susitna.

Thanks.

Unfortunately they have blocked the access to the launch ramp so that only foot traffic can get through, ie. rafts carried by hand.

Thumbs up

Lots of places to put in the Big Su, but the Park at the mouth of Willow is out of the question. The Parkies will cite you big time, just for trying. They will give you the Stink Eye if you even drive in there towing a boat. These guys carry guns and ticket books and they mean Business.

You can put in at the Bridge on the Parks and just run Willow down. That is the best bet for what I think you are looking for, especially for the boat you have. There is a decent spot on Little Willow Creek to launch and it is just a short hop to the Su. You can also find a private launch in the Falcon's Ridge Subdivision, if you know someone with a key to the gate. There is an undeveloped launch at the end of Wilderness Drive, most times though it is so muddy you will get stuck, but with a chainsaw and high lift jack you will have no problem. The State has a launch at Susitna Landing, if you want to support the beauracrats. At Rabideau Creek, you can launch off the beach into the Su. Talkeetna has a city launch that dumps in right at the mouth of where the Talkeetna dumps into the Su, but here again you will be supporting the beauracrats.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Thanks for the consolidated info. Now time to go exploring.