Just a reminder to everyone that enjoys clamming. The warm summer months are when the large algal blooms occur and the chances of PSP increase. Be careful if you go clamming, a lady in Juneau died yesterday from PSP and 3 people in Kodiak have gotten sick.
PSP death reported in Juneau
The woman who suffered paralytic shellfish poisoning in Juneau has died.
Jim Strader of Bartlett Regional Hospital in Juneau confirmed that the woman passed away at about four Thursday afternoon.
We received conflicting information earlier in the afternoon that the woman had died and later that she was in a coma.
Her name has not been released at this point. We've been told who it is, but will await word from the family.
According to the Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation the case appears linked to eating cockles, a type of hard shell clam gathered on Monday from the Point Louisa end of Auke Bay.
The person was initially admitted to the hospital here in stable condition.
Gathering shellfish from beaches in Southeast Alaska is dangerous since there are no certified beaches.
DEC is posting reminders this week that the clams and shellfish from those beaches are not safe to eat.
Three PSP cases have been reported on Kodiak with one of the people there hospitalized.