Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many carry bolt cutters onboard to remove circle hooks from hands

Default How many carry bolt cutters onboard to remove circle hooks from hands

This thread on thehulltruth forum http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-...you-carry.html

Convinced me to get a 12" bolt cutter to keep on board in addition to my usual medical kit. I'm also going to get some 2% buffered lidocaine for the kit.

Man, that looks like it stings!

Thought it was a good idea and I'd pass it along.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2696 Sea Raider Pilothouse
    "Dominion"

Quote Originally Posted by Maast View Post
    This thread on thehulltruth forum http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-...you-carry.html

Convinced me to get a 12" bolt cutter to keep on board in addition to my usual medical kit. I'm also going to get some 2% buffered lidocaine for the kit.

Man, that looks like it stings!

Thought it was a good idea and I'd pass it along.
    I know what that feels like! Got a 6/0 trailer hook in my finger 4 years ago with a thrashing pink on the other hook tangled in a landing net. Gloves and long pliers are a common practice for me now. Did get a cool T-shirt from the Hospital stating "I was hooked and released in Seward Alaska" . Bad, Bad Memory!!! Bolt cutter sounds like a good idea with this pic.

Quote Originally Posted by chico99645 View Post
    I know what that feels like! Got a 6/0 trailer hook in my finger 4 years ago with a thrashing pink on the other hook tangled in a landing net. Gloves and long pliers are a common practice for me now. Did get a cool T-shirt from the Hospital stating "I was hooked and released in Seward Alaska" . Bad, Bad Memory!!! Bolt cutter sounds like a good idea with this pic.
    I got the same shirt, brother...from an almost identical scenario...except it was a dogfish, not a pink, and a heavier guage hook. Bolt cutters went on the boat after that because at the time, the pliers and side cutters I had on board wouldn't even make a mark on the finish of the hook.

It was funny at the hospital, I kind of expected to see some sort of stainless steel, surgical-grade cutters brough out to cut the hook...but, nope...they had a regular old bolt cutter that looked just like mine (the one at home) that they sprayed down with betadine.

I have never tried using HAND for Halibut bait...

I did find myself attached to an angry King, I had some folks King fishing with me. As I reached to unhook the wigglewart from its mouth in the net it started struggling and got the other treble hook into my hand. It was a very ugly scene for a few moment until the fish stopped struggling. When the fish finally calmed down I was able to unhook the fish from me and the net. The hook was fully embedded with no room to cut the hook. With a great deal of effort I was able to forcefully removed the hook. Bolt cutters would have helped.
    I wrapped my hand with paper towels and duct tape and we kept fishing. That happened many years ago, they stopped by the other day and we had a good laugh about it.
    It was this fish, it was also his first King.

Be Safe
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by MRFISH View Post
    I got the same shirt, brother...from an almost identical scenario...except it was a dogfish, not a pink, and a heavier guage hook. Bolt cutters went on the boat after that because at the time, the pliers and side cutters I had on board wouldn't even make a mark on the finish of the hook.

It was funny at the hospital, I kind of expected to see some sort of stainless steel, surgical-grade cutters brough out to cut the hook...but, nope...they had a regular old bolt cutter that looked just like mine (the one at home) that they sprayed down with betadine.
    They pulled mine out the same way it came in. No pain killers. I almost past out when they pulled it out. Nothing like re-living pain only 1.5 hours old.

My dog decided to try her paw at fishing once. Good thing she remained calm and we found out how hard it was to get one removed.

I also carry bolt cutters......2 each actually, one 12" set and one larger set. Found that when you start using 20/0's and bigger (I have been stuck and thank god not barbed by my 7 inch Shark hooks), the bigger cutters make cutting the big hooks easier especially when I may be the victim.

Quote Originally Posted by chico99645 View Post
    They pulled mine out the same way it came in. No pain killers. I almost past out when they pulled it out. Nothing like re-living pain only 1.5 hours old.

Stid and Chico: OUCH! The thought of yanking a hook back out in reverse makes me cringe, especially without any painkillers (either medicinal or in beverage form). Fortunately...before getting back to seward we had worked the hook the rest of the way thru my hand so the point and barb were through (the dogfish got it most of the way through by himself...just needed to get the barb through, too...my uncle had to make a slice with a "sanitized" fillet knife because my skin wouldn't stretch enough to let the barb through otherwise.

Fortunately, my uncle was also able to drive for me cuz I had to pound about 5 or 6 beers really quick before deciding to let him do that little at-sea procedure ;-)

All they had to do at the hospital was cut the hook shank and slide each piece thru. Pretty easy once I got there...dogfish, uncle and budweiser took care of all the prep work out near Pony cove.

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    That happened many years ago, they stopped by the other day and we had a good laugh about it.
    It's my uncle's favorite story to tell of his AK fishing adventure. I've met a few of his friends when visiting down south and the first thing they say when he introduces me is, "oh, you're the one who got the hook through your hand...we saw the pictures".

Thumbs up Yep.

Been there. And yes, I do carry a bolt cutter for that very reason.
    --Gambler

bolt cutters would not have helped me with this one, just 5-6 trys of tug and rip but will have to add bolt cutters to my boat.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Quote Originally Posted by ak nimrod View Post
    bolt cutters would not have helped me with this one, just 5-6 trys of tug and rip But will have to add bolt cutters to my boat.

ouch pat!!!

Grown-ups call that a nasty accident. Teenagers call it fashion. Yikes!

really did not hurt until daughter that was holding the rod went to get the pliers, after a yell or two she returned with rod which i took and sent her for a knife to separate me from the rod. still was not too painful just a wierd feeling the tissue rip as i tugged on it.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Default Great idea, but here is one more suggestion

Great suggestion on the bolt cutters. I didn't think it was possible to get a circle hook in your hand, but now I know.
    I have one more suggestion though, and that is an anticeptic such as betadine. Before you send the hook all the way through, you should use antiseptic on the shaft of the hook, as it may prevent a serious infection.
    Also remember that eye protection, my 9 year old can testify for that.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

If you have no betadine, just good old soap and water.
    but you now have had a dirty hook that has gone thru your hand, puncture wounds are more likely to get infected. make sure your tetanus shot is upto date....usually every 10 years in this case i would say if it was over 5 you should get a booster. also soaking the hand in warm/fairly hot, but not to burn, water 15-20 minutes 3-4 times a day for 2-3 days to hopefully prevent an infection. any sign of pus , increased pain or redness or foul odor get in to be see by you private MD or urgent care or ER.

Quote Originally Posted by AK NIMROD View Post
    bolt cutters would not have helped me with this one, just 5-6 trys of tug and rip but will have to add bolt cutters to my boat.
    Sir Patrick, you should have asked and could have taken that out with a show string, literally

Roger
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Some of these cases this trick might not work but sometimes the best way to get a hook out especially if it is buried in your flesh is to loop a length of monofilament line through the bend in the hook. You then depress the back of the hook deeper down into the flesh and then yank the hook out with the line. By pushing the back of the bend of the hook downward you are freeing the barb from the flesh making it possible to pull it out with no additional tissue damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Contender View Post
    Some of these cases this trick might not work but sometimes the best way to get a hook out especially if it is buried in your flesh is to loop a length of monofilament line through the bend in the hook. You then depress the back of the hook deeper down into the flesh and then yank the hook out with the line. By pushing the back of the bend of the hook downward you are freeing the barb from the flesh making it possible to pull it out with no additional tissue damage.
    The above way to remove hooks is the procedure recomended by several emergency rooms that I have visited (with others). I have a hook extraction kit in each of my fishing vests, tackel boxes, and boats. The kit includes 1 length of heavy mono with a thumb loop on each end, an alcohol swab, packet of anti biotic, a couple tylenol, and a good band-aide. Can't believe how many times I have used it to help others out along the river.
    Take Care and don't forget the protective glasses and hat while fishing.

Never tried this but in theory if you have a file on board you could file the barb smooth and back the hook out. You would have to be able to get the file to the barb though.
    "Ebbtide" 27 X 9 GlacierCraft
    MMSI#

Quote Originally Posted by Ebbtide View Post
    Never tried this but in theory if you have a file on board you could file the barb smooth and back the hook out. You would have to be able to get the file to the barb though.
    Being a recipient of a hook, any slight pressure or movement of the hook involves excruciating pain. Filing in my opinion would hurt like #$%@. Quick clean cut would be my choice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast