Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best drift boat size type etc

Default Best drift boat size type etc

I'm looking at getting a drift boat. Am targeting a used 16 x 54 alumaweld, willie, fishrite etc. with motor mount. Please weigh in with your opinions of what drift boat you prefer and why.

Thanks

Default Bigger the better....

Quote Originally Posted by Djklamath View Post
    I'm looking at getting a drift boat. Am targeting a used 16 x 54 alumaweld, willie, fishrite etc. with motor mount. Please weigh in with your opinions of what drift boat you prefer and why.

Thanks
    18++.......

20 foot Willie with walk-thru seating and level diamond plate floor.

The most stable rowing platform on the water.

The Kenai and the Kasilof are both big strong rivers. My 20' willie has never felt like too much boat. I am glad I went that way because after 5 years on these rivers I wouldn't want any thing less. I will say if I were drifting smaller rivers I would probably prefer a wide bottom 17'er. As with all boats it depends on how it will be used. It seems like there are a few used boats in the 18 to 20 range around the kenai peninsula in the summers. Good luck on your hunt.

I bought a 19' Willie last year and we like it a lot. I think my friends like more than me though since they use it more.

go bigger from the start. The bigger boats row great and have space. The smaller boats are great for maneuvering, but not as easy to slip down the drift.

I have a 16' willie and I like it. But if I could do it over again, I would probably upsize to at least a 19'.

Good luck!

I have a 16' Koffler and I love it. I got a great deal on mine so thats why I have a 16'.
    I am envious of the guys with the bigger and newer ones but I don't envy what they paid for theirs.
    I also have a electric trolling motor for mine and it works great on the local lakes. Especially those like Johnson in Kasilof that don't allow gas motors.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Default Drift Boat

I like the 19x66" the best. Lots of room and rows great. Its my favorite and I have owned 4 drift boats. The worst one was my 16x48" Now thats a workout in fast water.

16x48, that must have been a little torpedo!

I've got the same boat you are looking at (16' Alumaweld) hanging off the back of my truck and am heading out the door for the Kenai right now. I really like that drift boat.

Default Check out Pavati

Just picked up a Pavati 17X61 and absolutely love it, far superior to the Fish-rite I had. All the diehard drifters will poke fun at it and say it is gimmicky but the modular interior design lets you place the seating in any configuration you like. The floor boards come out in three different sections making it super easy to clean out. I opted for the doors on mine, which is just a personal preference. They make a clamp style rod holders that you can move into any position. You should definitely check them out.

Quote Originally Posted by hunterk02103 View Post
    Just picked up a Pavati 17X61 and absolutely love it, far superior to the Fish-rite I had. All the diehard drifters will poke fun at it and say it is gimmicky but the modular interior design lets you place the seating in any configuration you like. The floor boards come out in three different sections making it super easy to clean out. I opted for the doors on mine, which is just a personal preference. They make a clamp style rod holders that you can move into any position. You should definitely check them out.

HMMMMM, fat Italian opera singers are building drift boats now?
    I didn't know!!!

Default the perfect kenai driftboat

Well here is my two cents worth on the idea of a good all around drift boat. For along time I struggled with all the different boat manufactuers and designs and to be honest I was never happy with any of their "styles".
    I've floated clackacrafts in montana along with a few other boat brands. But in Alaska those boats just dont cut the mustard. I personally decided to search the online boat building plans and found a boat that for all intense and purposes is perfect for Alaska waters. If you go to the Glen-L boat plans website and look under Ken Hankinson boat designs you'll find and drift boat called the Power drifter. Why no one makes one of these commercially I dont know. But let me tell you what this boat does. Instead of only accepting a 5 hrs motor like many drift boats do... this boat will take a 20 horse motor due to its widened transom. It will get on step with three grown men and gear on board, track up river like a johnboat, and has a weight capacity of 1200lbs. I personally built one of these boats myself and can attest to its utility. Some of you fishing the kenai last year might have seew me powering up river with my freinds fishing. The boat always gets some double takes because people arent used to seeing a drift boat like that. And the great thing is, if you decide to float the Kenai on a "drift only day" the boat performs like any other drift boat you'll ever row.
    building the boat takes only a few weeks of evenings and weekends... and can be built at a fraction of the cost of buying a "name brand" boat.
    You can customize it to any seating configuration you want. And when your done and people ask you where you got it.... You can say with a smile...
    I built it from scratch!

Fishrite has a power drifter, check it out.

http://www.fish-rite.com/power-drifter.html

I have a 16' 8" fiberglass Hyde with the Lexon bottom to slide over rocks. I have mounted an 8 HP Yamaha Long Shaft on the back when I want to troll or motor. Fiberglass is quiet and warm. I love my boat!

I have rowed many drift boats over the years and my two cents is that for most fishing up here Kasilof, Kenai rivers if you decide to get serious about fishing with friends then you will eventually end up with a 19' x 66" level deck pedestal seats. If you just want to fish a buddy or two then any other of the many choices will work. Fishing in the pacific nw you would generally use a smaller more maneuverable hull. Here a large stable platform with tons of storage is more useful.

Quote Originally Posted by nooksack View Post
    Fishing in the pacific nw you would generally use a smaller more maneuverable hull. Here a large stable platform with tons of storage is more useful.
    What?? Large boat have their place in the NW and I fail to see the advantage of a smaller boat as long as it is not overweight from too many extra features.

Default Bigger means more junk

That's the real problem right there. I promise the bigger it is, the more stuff you are gonna take with you.

Quote Originally Posted by TYNMON View Post
    What?? Large boat have their place in the NW and I fail to see the advantage of a smaller boat as long as it is not overweight from too many extra features.

River Wolf makes a great boat. Lots of options there.

Default Willie

Buy a willie 20 footer. The best.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast