Thread: carbon fiber????

Default carbon fiber????

What do you guys think about a carbon fiber fry rod case? Is it any good?

Default cost to benefit seems kind of low

Quote Originally Posted by grouse View Post
    What do you guys think about a carbon fiber fry rod case? Is it any good?
    Carbon fiber would work, but I think it would be a lot of dough for something that pvc or aluminum can do as well.

Honestly, the best fly rod tube I have found are the cheap green plastic cases from LL Bean. You can buy them online and they are about ten bucks. Works like a charm. That is all I use these days. The caps fit on nice and tight. The tubes are strong enough for protection without being too heavy. Sometimes simpler is better.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/36424...rValue_2=Green

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Another super budget ultralight option is to just use the florescent light covers from Lowes. Just cut it to length and put the caps back on. Probably not what you want for airline travel but plenty if you take a little care putting it in your pack.

Default go to Home Depot

or Lowes. buy the appropiate diameter PVC pipe. Pick up a couple of caps (1 screw in cap) and a bottle of cement. glue a small patch of sponge or foam to the inside of the caps. For around $10 you've got a rod case.
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    or Lowes. buy the appropiate diameter PVC pipe. Pick up a couple of caps (1 screw in cap) and a bottle of cement. glue a small patch of sponge or foam to the inside of the caps. For around $10 you've got a rod case.
    Gary
    This could definitely be a win on the cheap, but not very lite.

We hit a half dozen or a dozen spots a day, and often carry 2 or 3 rods apiece. Sooner or later you're going to quit taking the reel off because the next stop is just a "short hop" away. Seems like every stinking rod I break happens on a short hop, whether the rod I selected or the one I used before and didn't dismount the reel, yadayadayada to put it away right.

Not cheap, but I'm a fan of Grayling or any of its imitators that allow you to stow the rod with the reel mounted. I quit breaking rods (mostly) when I started using them. They're "cheap" compared to losing a rod for the duration of a short season up here.

Who makes it and how much?
    Only those that can see the invisible can do the impossible.

Light material, but unnecessary expense IMO, and I'm not sure how it compares in crushing resistance to PVC or aluminum. I hate anything round anyway (it rolls), and prefer the square PVC multi-rod cases that Abel used to make (I bought several at 60% off when they closed them out; now going on fleabay for 200% of retail if you can find one).

Default What fly rod?

I looked up an example of such a tube (http://www.flyfisherman.com/content/...fiber-rod-tube) - $40 at Cabela's it said. Lighter and stronger, it said.

Stronger: Scary to imagine what would break any rod tube, esp aluminum or PVC that you'd need more strength - but if I ever shell out $700-$800 for a fly rod (such a rod wasn't hidden among the Dad's Day cards, alas), a top o' line Sage, or whatever... I might use the cf tube inside 4" PVC...

Lightweight: Can't imagine the lighter (how much?) weight being much help, but there seems to be a "just right" application for almost any gear in AK.