Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Halibut & Chips in Anchorage

Exclamation Best Halibut & Chips in Anchorage

Catching and eating your own fish is great, but when guests come for a visit they always want to go out for a meal with halibut and chips at the top of the list.

Usually, we end up dining downtown at Humpy's, Snow Goose or Glacier Brewhouse. Everyone goes home happy, but I can't help wondering whether we're missing out on something better in the Anchorage area.

What restaurant is your favorite for serving up halibut and chips?

Beer battered halibut for lunch at Kinleys; $14. very good; not greasy

Default The White Spot is the best

Its a real hole in the wall, but you won't do better anywhere than the White Spot.

Their halibut sandwich is HUGE and quite wonderful. Don't go unless you're real hungry and want great halibut.

http://www.whitespotcafe.com/halibut/
    Last edited by FamilyMan; 06-17-2010 at 18:50. Reason: halibut, Anchorage

I don't know if they are still in business but.........Momma O's had great and cheap Halibut.

I thought that I read somewhere around here that Familyman had the best halibut?

Default Hey Dirt, He does, he just does not flaunt it to the masses

Familyman can hoard but cannot hide. I have not tasted his own, butt, pun intended, have heard about it from several sources and am waiting for my share too. Still waiting... Still waiting... still.... I think you get the picture!!!
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Default Now my face (not my butt) is red...

Quote Originally Posted by thewhop2000 View Post
    Familyman can hoard but cannot hide. I have not tasted his own, butt, pun intended, have heard about it from several sources and am waiting for my share too. Still waiting... Still waiting... still.... I think you get the picture!!!
    Omigosh, now I'm feeling bad....

In my own defense though whop, last time you came over you were invited (and by my better half, no less) to stay for dinner but your social-butterfly schedule did not allow...

OK, I do owe you. Its official.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    Omigosh, now I'm feeling bad....

In my own defense though whop, last time you came over you were invited (and by my better half, no less) to stay for dinner but your social-butterfly schedule did not allow...

OK, I do owe you. Its official.
    Yum, did someone say halibut. I am going butt fishing next week. Wonder if I supply fish, you supply beer and cook....
    The only thing worse than a Subaru is the as*hole who drives it.

Default You butt!

Quote Originally Posted by wldboar View Post
    Yum, did someone say halibut. I am going butt fishing next week. Wonder if I supply fish, you supply beer and cook....
    Oops, I mean "You bet!"

I posted the full and complete recipes for both my butter sauces that are of my own design and both containing over a year's trial and error fixing/refining:

- Habanero/lime/butter which we call habanero-buerre blanc
    - Saffron/habanero/lime/butter sauce

As both recipe's show an option for the way to make and use later (no heat at the end), I do now make both recipe's only twice per year, and store both of them frozen in little tiny tupperwares. They both freeze and keep just as long (almost... due to the other stuff in there) as frozen butter keeps, so long as they're thawed nicely instead of rudely. They're very delicate and break rather easily; not uncommon for any butter based sauce.

We use both sauces multiple times per week in this house.

I've PM'd you my new contact info; the ball's in your court!

And thanks for not making more fun of me about that garlic thing. Though I did and do deserve it.

Its not Anchorage but If you ever pull in to Seldovia for a break, the little grocery store past the Bar on the other side of the street makes the best I've ever had in 12 years. They have a little grill/shop at the back of the grocery area. After a few years, she finally let me watch her whip it up. Haven't been there in 2 years though, hope its still there.

Default A Must Share Recipe........

I know this thread was about where in Anchorage to eat good halibut.............but stick with me on this one and give this recipe a try.

This worked for a recent halibut victim but I'm sure it would be good for any white fish and/or salmon. Now here's the way I fixed it. Melt some butter and coat all sides of the fillet. We use a mixture of Johnny's Seasoning salt with some garlic powder, onion powder and some red chili power added then coat on all sides. I purchased a 15 oz. bottle of Safeway Select Roasted Garlic Alfredo pasta sauce now cover the entire fillet. Now for the kicker.......smother with jalapenos. Bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees or until the meat flakes. As a side dish we had some brown rice. Give it a try you'll really like it.

Default PIG VALVE, with that recipe you posted

Maybe there is more to your moniker then you are letting on?
    Couldn't resist!!!
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Default Hitting the nail on the head............

........you think that's what did it???????

Its a real hole in the wall, but you won't do better anywhere than the White Spot.

Their halibut sandwich is HUGE and quite wonderful. Don't go unless you're real hungry and want great halibut.

That advice is spot on. (Oooh...that was a bad pun.) Actually, the owner of the White Spot also owns Captain Chuck's Fish and Chips right by the Northway Mall. Another hole in the wall type place, but it's supposed to be awesome for halibut and rockfish (which makes better deep fried fish, in my opinion). Take your guests there and order both so you can all sample two types of fish.

Talking Yummy

We stopped by the White Spot for lunch today and the halibut sandwich was excellent. Tasty burgers as well. Thanks for the referral.

Also planning to try the other places soon...

Default Mango Salsa Halibut

I know we're talking about fish and chips, but if you want the best halibut, try the Stowaway cafe in Skagway, Alaska. Call ahead and ask for the Mango Salsa Halibut...it's not always on the menu, but if you call ahead they will prepare it for you, and it is the ABSOLUTE BEST! Now if I can just remember when my next trip to Skagway will be...oh yeah, coming up soon at the end of the month. I can hardly wait!

If ever in whittier, varleys swiftwater cafe has wonderful fish and chips
    The only thing worse than a Subaru is the as*hole who drives it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    That advice is spot on. (Oooh...that was a bad pun.) Actually, the owner of the White Spot also owns Captain Chuck's Fish and Chips right by the Northway Mall. Another hole in the wall type place, but it's supposed to be awesome for halibut and rockfish (which makes better deep fried fish, in my opinion). Take your guests there and order both so you can all sample two types of fish.

Is White Spot the place on 4th? If so, it seems like it is always packed at breakfast too.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

Thumbs up You bet!

Quote Originally Posted by jmg View Post
    Is White Spot the place on 4th? If so, it seems like it is always packed at breakfast too.
    Yep, you got it.

It is very plain looking;heck, their AC unit is bigger than their sign:

I'm not affiliated with it. Just a fan.

I remember my first trip to the White Spot. My buddy was supposed to pay the bill. He was (as usual) low on cash. Since they only take cash, they told us to pay in the future. Of course, i did the next day (I will be beholden to no one) and they have gained my respect. The food was awesome too!

Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast