Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gunbroker.com...problems

Angry Gunbroker.com...problems

I went to sign on today and got a message that my account had been closed AT MY REQUEST. That is not so! Wonder if anyone else is having issues w/GB ? There is, of course, no way to call them (unlike ebay & paypal)...sad when the anti-gunners have better customer support than gun related sites.
    Their "customer support" won't even answer an email for 48 hours and meanwhile I have auctions WITH BIDS closing. Wonder WTH will happen with them? Yeah I'm a bit unhappy!

GB, is destined to be a dead site IMHO. It sounds like an anti hacked them and started closing accounts. Anything is possible if their security is 1/2 as bad as their search engine.

Nothing wrong with my account.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    GB, is destined to be a dead site IMHO. It sounds like an anti hacked them and started closing accounts. Anything is possible if their security is 1/2 as bad as their search engine.
    I just logged onto my account, and see no apparant problems. So far, I've had only good experience with GB. I think we are fortunate to have a site like that, considering the alternatives. Whatever the problems, security, contact, or whatever, I hope they work it out.

I'm a little surprised to see a moderator say something like the "dead site IMHO" thing. Especially to go on and say something that seems like pure speculation to me, in apparant support of the previous sentence. Going on with the speculative conclusion of anything is possible - because ----.

I havent had any significant problems with GB search engine, especially lately, as it seems to have improved, and perhaps more significantly, since I went to the trouble to learn more about how to use it.

If I was granted my wish for the day - - it would be that those who love speculation and draw conclusions, or make suggestions based on nothing more substantial than speculation, would flag their posts: THIS IS SPECULATION NEVERTHELESS I'LL QUALIFY IT, WITH IMHO.

The fellow who made the initial posts knows actually less than he did to start with, by adding speculation, and consequential opinion.

KB

My account is working fine.

Gunbrokers has saved me a couple thousand dollars in purchases.

Always had a positive experience and super quick service from the auctions I have won.

Like any other service (ie..ebay) you have to bid only on items from reputable sellers.

Someone must have hacked Lujon's account and posted that

Question Translation please ?

WTH does:"The fellow who made the initial posts knows actually less than he did to start with, by adding speculation, and consequential opinion." translate to?

How could I know less when they won't even answer an email for 48 HOURS ?

I have bought and sold 10s of 1000s of $ on GB, (400+ f/b, A+ rating) BUT the idea that your account gets closed and they don't even send you a confirmation email to see if you really planned to close it is not good business!

My "speculation and opinion" are not. They are hard facts and while they diddle around, I will lose sales as items I have with winning bids will close and the buyers will not be able to contact me or me them.

All the other auction/want ad websites I sell on have never pulled this kind of crap and all ALWAYS give you a heads up if any problem is out there BEFORE they do anything. Glad Ebay still lets me sell my books and scopes! (3000+f/b, 99% rating)

Guess I'll be taking a close look at Auction Arms !

Kabluewy, you are speculating that I don't have any knowledge on this issue. Their search engine is awful because it does not have the flexibility to find what you are looking for as intuitively as other search engines. You shouldn't have to learn how to use a search engine. You should type in what you want and get the results. Calling it good would be like calling craigslist a consumer friendly classified site. C/L is alive because of its simplicity, low cost of operation, and most important it's FREE. G/B has none of those attributes and I bet it will go the way of geocities. In the same way facebook trumped myspace someone will topple G/B.

My account is fine. Have never had any problems with any of the auction sites, other than non-paying bidders, but I can't blame that on the website. I'm actually pretty pleased with the service Gunbroker provides, as it gives me a market of thousands of buyers every day for stuff I can't get rid of here in town. From the numbers I see in bids on the website, I rather doubt they are anywhere close to "dying". Actually I think the term "flourishing" may be closer to the truth. I would PRESUME yours is an isolated incident with the account problems and can be taken care of in short order. Compared to Auction Arms, another fine website, I'll choose Gunbroker every day for the quantity of items and variety available. Plus the search engine on Gunbroker is WAY better than AA's in my opinion, and the site is MUCH easier to navigate. Good luck with the issues, I'm sure it'll be hashed out pretty quickly.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Default similar problem

I had not used my account for awhile. So it was closed. Not per my request but that was the error messege I got too. Took 24 hrs to fix after an email to GB.

Kabluewy, you are speculating that I don't have any knowledge on this issue. Calling it good would be like calling craigslist a consumer friendly classified site. C/L is alive because of its simplicity, low cost of operation, and most important it's FREE. G/B has none of those attributes and I bet it will go the way of geocities. In the same way facebook trumped myspace someone will topple G/B.
    No, I wasn't speculating. I was stating apparant facts based on the content of your post only, rather than guessing or presuming the extent of your knowledge. The way I see it, if you make a statment or conclusion as though it is a fact, the basis for that should support the fact. In your post, you used speculation as support. It's a bad habit, and it's been my observation that those in the habit of doing it, don't even know after a while that's what they are doing.

The reason the fellow knows less from your post is because it's not fact, and it was stated in the context of fact. It's stuff you made up.

There is a big difference in CL and GB. It would take a big mistake to topple GB, IMO.

KB

no it wouldn't take any mistake at all. Just a better product.

no it wouldn't take any mistake at all. Just a better product.
    Yes, fair enough. That's a proven concept. However, in a way, allowing a better product to develope is a mistake.

It's entirely possible, given the right investors, and vision. So far, I haven't seen it coming. What I have seen is GB taking the window of opportunity, given by the void of Ebay, and trying to make the most of it. IMO, if they had not seen the opportunity, or been slobs about it, as other gun auction or sales sites have been, then I would be very dissappointed in GB, and also, IMO, that would indicate a better probability for new competition to succeed.

Given their running start, it would not be easy to out pace them, starting from scratch, but it's possible.

That's what Ebay needs, and the same concept applies there. What's the chance of actually seeing real competition toward ebay?

KB

My account is still good to go and I have not logged in for some time now. I think it is a great sight and hope it sticks around.

LuJon as far as search engines go I can not believe you are going to complain about the search engine on any other sights when the one on here is the worst one on the internet unless you use the google option under advanced search. Then again you are a Mod on here so maybe that is why you don't say anything negative about the search engine on here?

OK, I will give you that! The vBulletin software has hands down the worst search engine I have used since 1996. Luckily the forum integrates with google which works marvelously! Also AOD does not own the BB software or develop it in any way. We just have a licensed copy of it running on a server. The same way that you have a copy of window or Mac OS.

My Mod status has little to do w/ anything beyond my appreciation for what the site has to offer and wanting it to run smoothly. I don't pull punches and I don't get paid for my time here. I have brought up modifying the site to include the google search feature inside the tool bar below the banner at the top of the forum page. Ultimately doing that requires coding changes which would need to be tested before being launched and would cost money. It is not my site and all I can do is make suggestions on how to make it better. When and if any of my suggestions get implemented are up to the owner.

LuJon I was just getting a dig in you where I could all in fun I realize you do not own the site and can only make suggestions and I am glad to hear you admit the search function on here is as bad as I think as well.

Default Dig

LuJon,
    I also appologize if I was too deep on my dig. I just have a thing about speculation. It annoys me.

I see that you like quoting Jefferson. Here's one for ya:

"He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors."

Regards,
    KB

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    My account is fine. Have never had any problems with any of the auction sites, other than non-paying bidders, but I can't blame that on the website. I'm actually pretty pleased with the service Gunbroker provides, as it gives me a market of thousands of buyers every day for stuff I can't get rid of here in town. From the numbers I see in bids on the website, I rather doubt they are anywhere close to "dying". Actually I think the term "flourishing" may be closer to the truth. I would PRESUME yours is an isolated incident with the account problems and can be taken care of in short order. Compared to Auction Arms, another fine website, I'll choose Gunbroker every day for the quantity of items and variety available. Plus the search engine on Gunbroker is WAY better than AA's in my opinion, and the site is MUCH easier to navigate. Good luck with the issues, I'm sure it'll be hashed out pretty quickly.
    100% in agreement with you gunbugs. However just to make sure my account is working I think I'll go buy something!

Default still on

Brandy,
    That sucks! It does sound like an isolated event, though. And I am surprised they haven't been back to you on this. My account is also still there: No problems. And like Elmer... I'll just go make sure it works fully!
    Good luck.

Thumbs down

Gun Broker.com
    I Changed my password then they wanted my Credit card info........NOT!

Lightbulb Finally heard from Gunbroker and...

They said the following (this is an exact cut and paste):

"We receive a report from AOL when a user reports our emails as spam. Your account is automatically closed if this occurs."

They are claiming that I reported their email as SPAM.
    BUT they can provide no evidence of it and AOl says (they have real people on a phone you can talk to) they do not report member I.D.s in their report.

Now, I'd like someone to explain why I would report a GB email as SPAM ?

Here's the message...DO NOT use your email account to respond to any communication from GB. Go to their website and answer it through their server (if you can) and if you can't either revise or append the auction to provide the answer to the question. If the message from the GB server is not a factual question, such as, ("what is the LOP?"), but rather a question you choose not to answer ("what is the reserve on the item?"), JUST IGNORE IT!!!
    Secondly NEVER report any email that comes from the GB server as SPAM, NO MATTER WHAT or they will close your account and say YOU asked them to.

This almost cost me a $1200 sale as a fellow who bought a gun from me but has not paid, called me up last night (thanks God we had exchanged contact info off of GB) because he went to look at my stuff and saw I was shut down. He was concerned about being scammed. Happily he only lives 100 miles away and we were able to discuss mutual friend etc. and he was okay.

So we have now moved to a place where it is seller beware....not just buyer.

IME, they are the best among the gun auction sites but I learned something that I still find hard to believe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast