Thread: DIPAC in Juneau

Default DIPAC in Juneau

Hey guys,

for you juneau folks on here,

Why does DIPAC choose to load up the local area with so much Pink and Chum, i know they also produce kings, but not near the numbers as Pink and Chum. Also im not aware of them producing any Sockeye or Silver, why is that?
    is there some kind of benifit to the eco system by producing millions of pink and chum? i know pink have a commercial value but im not aware of chums being targeted by the commercial fleet, especially not as much as the other strains of slamon.

can someone shed some light on this, Thanks!
    I Wish i could change my name to Shimano, because i recently started hating Ambassdor Abu_Garcia.

They hatch chums for the local gillnet fleet primarily, with remote relases at Amalga, Sheep Creek, Limestone Inlet, and Boat Harbor. They also run the Snettisham hatchery up in Speel Arm which hatches sockeye, again primarily for the gillnet fleet. They stopped hatching pinks a while back because there is little money in them. Chums are harvested for the roe mainly.

The coho and chinook hatched at the hatchery in Juneau are the icing on the cake for the locals to harvest. They also relase sockeye fry into Sweethart Lake for the terminal PU fishery down there.
    Nice Marmot.

i thought that DIPAC was non-profit... i guess i was way wrong..
    I Wish i could change my name to Shimano, because i recently started hating Ambassdor Abu_Garcia.

Default some answers.

Quote Originally Posted by Abu_Garcia View Post
    Hey guys,

for you juneau folks on here,

Why does DIPAC choose to load up the local area with so much Pink and Chum, i know they also produce kings, but not near the numbers as Pink and Chum. Also im not aware of them producing any Sockeye or Silver, why is that?
    is there some kind of benifit to the eco system by producing millions of pink and chum? i know pink have a commercial value but im not aware of chums being targeted by the commercial fleet, especially not as much as the other strains of slamon.

can someone shed some light on this, Thanks!
    First pink and chum salmon go out to sea as spring fry. So there is no cost of rearing them to a smolt size. The facility costs are significantly lower. Also, if they want to plant them somewhere they need a rearing environment that does not complete with wild fish. Pink and chum are just easier.

Second, pink prices are coming up. This year the demand appears to be very high and prices of 65 cents per pound are rumored for some area. A more likely long term average is 30 cents.

Pink salmon return after 2 year so the return is faster on investment.

Chum salmon eggs are very valuable and thus when added to the value of the meat becomes very viable as a hatchery stock.

Not sure what the common property fishery takes but state guidelines what about 2/3rds going to the common property fishery. However, cost recovery can take priority over this figure.

PNP's are non-profit but non-profit rules allow up to two years of reserves to buffer poor years. So not sure what this group's books look like. Some PNP have large loans from the State and therefore they may be harvesting to pay those back.

Default For Profit

DIPAC isn't not one of the Non-Profit aquaculture associations. They are a for profit organization. As said above Silvers and Kings are expensive to raise and don't offer a lot of return on investment. Chums are hit hard by the commercial fleet and there's a lot of money involved. This year I heard they are getting around $0.75 a pound. DIPAC does have the opportunity to earn money through cost recovery fisheries like Amalga Harbor chums and Snettisham sockeye. Also they get compensated by the state for rearing fish for the PU fishery at Sweetheart creek as well as other sport fisheries they create. They do rear silvers but the next couple years are going to be low since they are switching brood stock.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

DIPAC is a non-profit hatchery association - state law does not allow a hatchery to be anything but a non-profit corporation. DIPAC is not a REGIONAL association - i.e. they do not receive a share of the enhancement tax collected from the commercial fishermen, although the Northern Regional Association over the years has donated a lot of funds to help DIPAC get on it's feet. They had huge loans with the State that they are paying off. the sockeye personal use fishery is paid for by DIPAC through cost recovery funds - State of AK sport fish division pays for the rearing costs for the king releases only but without cost recovery to cover overhead/fixed costs that project would not be able to produce those fish.

Pinks are a bulk of yearly commercial catch as far as numbers go, something like 70% of salmon landings are humpies. Chums are 3rd most behind pinks and reds. The kings and coho stocked from DIPAC are primarily stocked for sport fishing and I believe paid for by Sport Fish Division of ADF&G. DIPAC also does some sockeye, sockeye are tough because they require extensive rearing and are very vulnerable to various pathogens. I'm not sure DIPAC does many (any??) pinks at all because the fishery up north is gillnet and not seine, picking pinks from gillnets isn't a great way to make money...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.