Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Headed to the Russian

Default Headed to the Russian

I am leaving Wasilla today around 11am (sorry for the short notice) to go fish the Russian/Kenai and have room for up to 3 more people. I plan on staying over night fishing for a limit today and a limit on the AM hours tomorrow. If you have any interest get a hold of me on the boards. We will split the gas and parking fee at the campground.

I will provide a report on my return tomorrow. Today is the day for the HUGE numbers, I an fill it! :-)

Thanks,

Russ
    "Give someone a fish and you will feed them for a day. Show someone how to fish and they will just steal your fishing hole and catch more fish then you. Screw them, let them eat chicken!!"

make sure that you have the fished processed prior to taking your next days limit. The regs are 3 per day and 3 in possesion.

if they are cleaned and sealed in a bag, then stowed in the cooler up in the truck, then are you good to take another limit on the second day? I might be trying the same thing this weekend, if the fish cooperate.

Quote Originally Posted by aldridge88 View Post
    if they are cleaned and sealed in a bag, then stowed in the cooler up in the truck, then are you good to take another limit on the second day? I might be trying the same thing this weekend, if the fish cooperate.
    Nope, from what I understand, they have to be frozen, vac-sealed, or canned. Something like packaged so they can be eaten weeks from when you caught them. Fish ziplocked and in a cooler are still counted as possesed.

No you are not good. I have never seen anyone get popped for having them in thier cooler in the 30 years I have been there though. I believe the regs read they must be in state of preservation that will last 7 days, IE frozed, canned or jarred. Something along those line.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default Looks like no to me

Here's what I copied from the regs website:

"possession limit means the maximum number of unpreserved fish a person may have in possession.

preserved fish means fish prepared in such a manner, and in an existing state of preservation, as to be fit for human consumption after a 15-day period, and does not include unfrozen fish temporarily stored in coolers that contain ice, dry ice, or fish that are lightly salted."

Looks like no go to me until you freeze them or can them.

simple solution take them to one of the places in coooper's landing and have them processed after your done fishing, I don't think they charge much to store fish at trout fitters, wild man's, or any other place......then you don't actually have possesion at that time so your really good!

I have actually seen Fish & Game walk around the Russian River Campground before and ask to look in coolers and cited many, many people. Most did not know about the possession piece of the regulations. Or at least that is the excuse they "tried" to use. It didn't work.

You might want to look into bringing your fish to Gwenn's and pay a little for freezer space so you can fish again THE NEXT DAY.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Fly Guy View Post
    I have actually seen Fish & Game walk around the Russian River Campground before and ask to look in coolers and cited many, many people. Most did not know about the possession piece of the regulations. Or at least that is the excuse they "tried" to use. It didn't work.

You might want to look into bringing your fish to Gwenn's and pay a little for freezer space so you can fish again THE NEXT DAY.

Wow. I have never seen that. Plus my cooler is in my truck and bear proof so I would have issues with it. aka what makes you want to look in my cooler when Im just sitting around my fire drinking beer. That is a whole different subject though. Then again I dont keep to many reds just catch them and let them go.

Hamiltons is cheap. Like a buck a fish. Just a big freezer. They dont do anything but open the door let you put them in there. No vacume sealing, shipping or anything. Just freeze them
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

thanks for the input, i will probably hit one of those places up. Hopefully I have fish to process

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Fly Guy View Post
    I have actually seen Fish & Game walk around the Russian River Campground before and ask to look in coolers and cited many, many people.
    I'm certainly not promoting violation of the ADF&G rules promoting conservation, but I would ask for their search warrant if that happens. Unless they show probable cause to believe you are in possession of more than three fish, and get a judge to issue a search warrant to look into your cooler, they cannot just dig through your personal possessions (unless of course you give them permission). You don't give up your Fourth Amendment rights just b/c you are at the Russian River campground.

Pretty sure not letting AWT look in your cooler counts for probable cause... That would sure make for a funny court battle...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Not true. By that logic, then simply asserting a constitutional right would give the cops/ADF&G probable cause to -- violate your rights. That's a court battle I would love to have.

They need some kind of independent basis for believing you are violating the law -- like they watched you pack the cooler full of fish.

If you were to say no. You would sit there until he. get his warrant to look in you stuff..... just follow the dam laws...........

whats funny is people frown on taking more than one moose/caribou/etc per year, but have no problem poaching fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Bambistew View Post
    whats funny is people frown on taking more than one moose/caribou/etc per year, but have no problem poaching fish.
    I know it is against the rules but have a hard time calling it poaching. If he brought a vacum packer sealed them and froze them he would be legal to fish the next day. Very small difference from catching 3 sleeping in the car catching 3 more and drive home and pack them up. Yes against the rules and is why we bring a packer, but I won't call it poaching.....

Quote Originally Posted by Bambistew View Post
    I wouldn't say a salmon has the value of a moose or caribou.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by junkak View Post

Quote Originally Posted by akmike30 View Post
    If you were to say no. You would sit there until he. get his warrant to look in you stuff..... just follow the dam laws...........
    It is Illegal for a Peace officer to hang around until they get a warrant they could, stay around the campground, but cannot hold you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast