Thread: Fishing for Dollies/trout on Kenai with bait

Default Fishing for Dollies/trout on Kenai with bait

I was fishing on the Kenai this morning for dollies/trout using a bobber with 2 salmon eggs on a trout hook and was informed by a guide that the Kenai is closed for bait. I told him that I knew that but I was not fishing for kings ... I was fishing for dollies/trout. He said that it didn't matter cause bait is bait and that the F&G would fine me heavy. Not knowing one way or the other, I stopped and started flipping for reds instead.

Questions is this ... since you can fish year round for dollies/trout and one method of fishing for them is using a bobber with a couple or fish eggs on a small hook is that prohibited when F&G says no bait for kings on the Kenai?

I think not but what do others think?

No bait means NO BAIT!

But just wait another day or two and it won't be a problem anymore.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Doc's got it right. The current no bait regs applies to the river so it doesn't matter which species you're fishing for.

No bait means no bait what so ever, they will hammer you hard even if your just fishing for trout. And even when you can use bait be careful because once you get past the upper keily you can't use bait ever!

You are very lucky to not get nailed. I dont know how many trout I have caught on the upper that puke up shrimp. Id like to just ***** slap the guys using shrimp. Im sure 99% of them know better. The feds are usually to busy ****ing with me and my wife about our fishing vest/lifejackets or telling me my 14 cat needs to be registered. I dont know how many times we have been stopped, every time the same **** and we are totally legal. I know the rules. The last one they try is we need to see what your fishing with as this is fly are only. Yes it is up untill mid august. It is now sept/oct and Im using a bead so bite me
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default No Bait!!!

Dude....No one cares what you were fishing for, no bait allowed at all on the middle or lower kenai until July 1st or until such time that ADF&G relaxes the no bait restriction.

You are one lucky guy to not have been nailed. I hope you thanked the guide who saved you some money and aggravation.