Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Russian reds

Default Russian reds

Any new news down there?? Have they started pouring in? A PM either way would be great!!
    I have such a hard time trying to decide which outdoor activity to do every chance I get!! Living in AK is a mental challenge

I've been keeping an eye on the weir counts on ADF&G and as soon as I see a good slug of fish come through I'm bombing down there. One of these days is gonna be HUGE.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Fish being caught, early AM & fish are on the move when pressured. Small schools moving up, no huge numbers yet but F&G says lots in the Kenai.
    Any day.

FYI: F&G weir is way up river so if big numbers there, fish out of lower Russian R.

Some info here . scroll thru to get various reports.
    http://www.alaskaoutdoorjournal.com/...lerreport.html

Yes I know the weir is up past the falls. I hiked to it on sunday. I don't want to waste the gas driving all the way down there for nothing though. Historical charts show that after the first big day of counts, the next few days are also decent so it stands to reason that it would be good down river after the first big day since it does not take them that long to get up to the falls. And yes I keep an eye on AOJ almost as much as this site but thanks for the report about the river

Two friends and I limited out on Monday while fishing the Kenai. We stopped in two spots on the float from Sportsman's to Jim's. We had to work for them - it was most certainly not hot and heavy - but fish were moving through in small groups. We did better than most, though.

I was planning on heading down tomorrow but couldn't justify paying for gas after I saw the fish count for yesterday plummet back down. I may still go, I'm on the fence.

Debating on whether to head down tomorrow night or friday. There's gonna be a big day here soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor_1 View Post
    Debating on whether to head down tomorrow night or friday. There's gonna be a big day here soon.

I agree with you, the big day will be coming soon. I am going down there either Fri , or Sat morn. Hopefully there will be a good push this weekend.

Just got back from Gaurd rale hoe, Just down from the ferry. I was there for about 2 hours hooked into 15 or so and kept 6 Three for me and three for my proxy. Eevery one was catching fish on both sides, and even double hook ups, Alot of fish moving up. People were even catching fish in that little pool right by the bricks at Gaurdrale...... ALOT OF FISH!

Anyone fished up in the Russian itself in the last few days? If so, see/find any fish, or are they still holding down in the sanctuary (or Skilak or wherever)? The weir counts are pretty bleak ... shows 24 coming through yesterday.

Thanks everyone for your reports!

Default Slow on the Russian

I went up this morning early and fished below the Ferry crossing. Very slow. Fished for four hours, rolled a couple, landed one good one. Lots of experienced fisherman going home with nothing today. Lots of people, few fish. The few that are in there are out quite a ways.

A couple guys came down from the Russian and said there was hardly anyone fishing up there this morning. Everything seems to be holding in Sanctuary and not moving up. They'd come down to see if they could do better below sanctuary.
    Hopefully better by tomorrow.

I biked to and fished at the first hole below the falls after the signs where you can start fishing at saw one fish in the water and about 9 people with zero fish between them all. Oh and one guy waded across and stood in the hole I am certain I could have hooked him but didn't have the regs handy to check if he was legal.

Don't you love it when one greedy dill weed wades into a hole and screws it up for everyone?

that's my favorite guy....................to aim at when I cast!

Quote Originally Posted by beano View Post
    Oh and one guy waded across and stood in the hole...
    You don't wear Cabela's Neoprene waders by chance, do you?
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Just came back from another run down there. Walked from Pink Salmon to below the ferry crossing and seen three fish hooked in about 3 hours.
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by Phish Finder View Post
    You don't wear Cabela's Neoprene waders by chance, do you?
    No, I sure don't why did you do the same thing I described in front of someone who did ( just teasing)?

Well I hope the fish start pushin up this week.

Quote Originally Posted by beano View Post
    No, I sure don't why did you do the same thing I described in front of someone who did ( just teasing)?
    There's always that possibility.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

I fished it today and saw zero reds in the water, hooker or on a stringer.
    SLAYED the rainbows tho. 24" 'bow is way better then a red any day

Fished the mainstream Kenai (guard rail). Went 3 for 7 in about 3 hours of fishing. People were catching fish, not red hot, but worth it. Lots of fish in the sanctuary and when crossing the Russian on the way back to the lot, saw a few moving up.

Fish are out a little farther than usual and a 1oz weight got'r done for me.

Red.jpg

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast