Thread: Help in reseaching a Moose Hunt?

Default Help in reseaching a Moose Hunt?

I'm from Colorado and a friend and I are starting to do some research on an Alaskan moose hunt. We want to do a "do it yourself" type hunt. We plan to apply for a good draw area for the year we're planning to hunt be we also want to have a good over the counter area in mind as well. I would appreciate any info on either draw or over the counter areas where a man may have a decent chance at a good bull. We realize we'll probably need to take a bush plane in. we also realize that our chances of success will be less unguided but we're good with that. Thanks for any info you may have.

I've seen and heard your basic question asked many times. As a nonresident who hunts Alaska every year, I've got a couple thoughts.

Obviously, Alaska is a huge playground for outdoors people. Finding an area that holds game is not incredibly difficult, but accessing your selected area(s) is the real challenge. Even if you find a way into a certain gmu, you're entirely dependent on your air service to put you down in a good area with plenty of reachable game.

Others will differ with me on this, but I think your number one toughest assignment is to identify the air service that can and will give you what you need. With that said, I'd advise you to search out as many good air services as possible. Be exhaustive and ask endless questions. Compile a log or file and keep lots of notes as you talk. Tell them you're after moose...and all other specific requests. Let them tell you how they do things, and what gmu(s) they operate in. Research those gmu(s) to determine if the limitations and regs fit your needs.

Once you have a service selected, you can begin preps for hunting in the gmu you'll be going to.

Basically, I'm saying find a restaurant (air service) that serves what you want (moose) and how they do it....then get references on how well they do it. Of course, you can always go the route of finding a gmu first, but finding the transporter for it could be a very difficult proposition.

K Dill

Default Ditto

I don't hunt Alaska every year any more but I would agree completely with Kdill on what he said. Find a transporter - first.

The other way money iw well spent is to hire a hunt planner. Mike Strahan (who also owns this site - I believe) is a good choice. It's money well spent.

Larry Bartlett at pristineventures.com also does hunt planning. Mike Strahan's website is alaskahuntplanning.com

I've done a drop hunt for moose and am doing a drop hunt for caribou in August mostly with the knowledged learned on this and other websites (24hourcampfire.com; pristineventures.com). Decide if you want a float hunt or drop hunt and step 1 is finding a reputable transporter. Everything after that works its way out.
    "The days a man spends fishing or spends hunting should not be deducted from the time he's on earth. " Theodore Roosevelt

Syracuse, New York, Wasilla, Alaska, United States

Default I believe F&G has stats...

on harvest numbers/success on their site. Just have to do a litte digging.

jager63,
    Heed the words of K Dill. My research started in December of 2007 for my upcoming DIY hunt this Sept., for moose. Start an exaustive study of areas, transporters, gear lists, meat handling, ect., and anthing else remotely related to AK hunting. Get ahold of any literature on AK hunting, from drop camps, float hunting, survival, ect. Look back through the archives on this forum and others, and read everything. Just the experiences from the many members that post here, will be usefull in some form or another. They have a wealth of knowledge. Your research will be part of the fun! Also, realize that harvesting an animal will not determine whether your hunt is successfull or not. Good luck. Knute

I would add:

For your first hunt, be wary of anything that sounds 1) outrageously complicated or difficult, or 2) like it's a slam-dunk sure thing.

Nothing is without possible complications, but going on a hunt that involves combinations of airplanes, rafts, overland backpacking, and bivys is asking to bite off a lot for your first trip up there. I'd recommend you look hard at a basecamp type hunt in good game country. The pilot drops you and your gear...you establish camp and hunt from it each day...you get familiar with an area and learn game movement...the pilot picks you up right there after the hunt is done.

You can have $10,000 worth of excellent gear, but your knowledge is still worth more. Spend all the interim time asking, researching and learning. What's in your head will serve you better than what's in the duffel. Be sure you and your partner have the necessary woodcraft skills to live on your own, and deal with what the Alaska bush can throw at you. If you kill a moose, some heavy duty butchering and packing is in order...so get ready for those requirements. Last fall we butchered and packed a BIG caribou and then a HUGE moose in the first 4 days of our hunt. Tough duty, but we did it right and were satisfied.

Read Knute's last couple sentences again. He knows what he's talking about.

About 80 days...I'll be back there!

K Dill

Thanks very much for the replys. I will take to heart what i've been told thus far. I certainly agree that the research and prepartaion for a hunt is half the fun! K Dill we will certainly start researching trasporters as you suggested. Can you recommend any good ones that service some good GMU's to get me started?

I don't personally use a commercial transporter who advertises for, or accepts hunters. My pilot is a personal friend, and he does have his license to transport hunters. He takes 3 friends plus me.

With that, I don't have any experience with commercial transporters in Alaska. I do have a friend who uses Fortymile Air and he's completely sold on the quality of their service. I understand that getting "in" with a transporter can be competitive in itself, so would advise you to get busy doing internet searches, forum searches, Alaska F&G website regulations & GMU info, and absolutely begin calling air charters soon for a 2011 hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by K Dill View Post
    and he does have his license to transport hunters. He takes 3 friends plus me.

With that, I don't have any experience with commercial transporters in Alaska.[/B]
    Your friend is a licensed transporter but you don't have any experience with commercial transporters?

Jager, start with the hunting regs. Go thru unit by unit (ignore units 1-8) and see which units have open entry non res seasons for moose. Go thru that list and see which units have the LONGEST non res season. In general, the longer the non res season, the higher the moose pop.

Unit 18 is now one of the better moose hunting spots. There are transporters in Aniak and Bethel that can get you into good hunting.
    I would also recommend putting in for the unit 23 draw.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

"Your friend is a licensed transporter but you don't have any experience with commercial transporters?"

Okay, technically I guess I do have experience with one commercial transporter. That said, my pilot doesn't advertise for hunters. He's not looking to take anyone else on. He flies a few hunters each fall. Dealing with him is not like using a traditional air charter or your usual commercial transporter.

My understanding of commercial bush plane or transport operators is that they 1) prefer to book repeat clients year after year; 2) have a limited number of openings that often fill up very fast; 3) usually require 3 phone calls to get 1 question answered.

Persistence and patience are keys to getting this part done.

martentrapper makes some real good points. The regs can be very telling on the numbers of animals in a given area.
    I would also add...when you talk to a transporter for the area you choose, ask them how many other hunters they (or others) tend to drop in the same spot? All the research in the world could go for naught if you're dropped off in an area with 15 other camps. This is where a float hunt may help you...also, plane isn't the only way to get to some good areas. There's boat-in's that can get you to good spots as well.
    Walking a long distance isn't very practical for moose unless you are in great shape and like death marches. If you drop a moose 5 miles away...well, you'll only do that once (just my experience...other opinions may vary).
    "We're all here cuz we're not all there"

Default i agree with mt...

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Your friend is a licensed transporter but you don't have any experience with commercial transporters?

Jager, start with the hunting regs. Go thru unit by unit (ignore units 1-8) and see which units have open entry non res seasons for moose. Go thru that list and see which units have the LONGEST non res season. In general, the longer the non res season, the higher the moose pop.

Unit 18 is now one of the better moose hunting spots. There are transporters in Aniak and Bethel that can get you into good hunting.
    I would also recommend putting in for the unit 23 draw.

call my boss, 907-545-4135 Wade Renfro, he's a good guy and he's got a great area he's permitted to drop moose hunters in that we DONT do guided hunts in. he's a great pilot, and his game management within his area of operation is impecable. unit will be 18, point of outiftting will be bethel alaska. if you want a visual of one of his drop hunts go out and buy (or just watch) the new moose mania dvd from ralph and vikki ciancarulo (the archers choice guys) they sent a couple guys out this past year with us and they doubled on a couple sixty inch class moose (i believe one was mid sixties, one was fifty eight with lots of jewlery) its pretty good footage, and was a neat hunt for those guys. let me know if you'd like any additional info. access to most of western alaska is available through Wade.

Nine Foot,
    Is unit 18 a draw area or over the counter for Non-resident?

Quote Originally Posted by jager63 View Post
    Nine Foot,
    Is unit 18 a draw area or over the counter for Non-resident?
    Your supposed to answer that question for yourself. That's what some of the guys mean by research.

Ninefoot, Thanks very much for your info. That gives my buddy and I a starting point. If you ever need any info or help with the regs here in Colorado don't hesitate to ask.

Martentrapper, Its best not to post unless you have someting constructive to say. I'll do my research for sure. Just getting a base from which to start.

Open the regs and it shows there is no draw for nonres moose in 18. 18 has never has been a draw. Mt was sorta pushing you to look it up. Guess I just did your research for ya. You're welcome....(grin)

If you could mail me a spoon, Jag, I could then spoon feed you everything your too lazy, busy, or stubborn to easily find for yourself!