Thread: New Zealand Hunter

Default New Zealand Hunter

G'day,
    Im from down in New Zealand, i am a very keen hunter and fisher, i spend most weekends out and about and have got myself some excellent trophies, including deer, chamois and tahr. I am wishing to venture over to alaska to shoot a moose but understand that regulations are very different to New Zealand. Can someone please tell me the best and cheapest way for me to try do this?
    Thanks Henry

Also could someone please tell me how to post pics, ill put some up of my NZ hunting if i can??

The most significant difference in regulations requires that you recover ALL edible meat from the field, right down to the meat between the ribs.

No shooting Big Heads for the wall and leaving the meat to rot and waste.

Forfeiture of guns and hunting equipment, large fines and even jail time await the miscreant.

I believe as a non resident hunting big game you will have to employ a guide. There are many good ones on this very site. Good luck.

You may not need a guide to hunt Moose, but its a good idea to make sure. Im a thinkin that BrownBears, Goats and Sheep need a guide.

On the cheap? Do a self hunt.
    Fly in, camp, hunt, maby/maby not get a Moose and you have been hunting Alaska, an experiance worth doing wether you score or not.

You can use 'photobucket.com' to upload pictures on from your computer and post them here. NewZealand's gotta have great hunting, Your photos would be a cool "Break' to look over. On other sites, I like the Hog Hunting...none of that here!~~LOL!!~~
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    You may not need a guide to hunt Moose, but its a good idea to make sure. Im a thinkin that BrownBears, Goats and Sheep need a guide.
    That is the way it works for residents of the other 49 states, but non-resident aliens (non-U.S. residents) must hire a registered guide for all big game.

Well, you beat me to it Brian. That's right NZHUNTER, you'll need the services of a guide for moose or any other big game animal.
    Here's a link to the Alaska Hunting Regulations. It's good reading and will be helpful for you to understand what the requirements and opportunities are. Good luck.
    http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/index...ations.hunting

There I am, wrong again........ My wife could fill you in on details if nessarry ~~LOL!!~~

I hope you make the trip regardless, and then you will have company, and its always better when you have someone to share the experiance with
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    That is the way it works for residents of the other 49 states, but non-resident aliens (non-U.S. residents) must hire a registered guide for all big game.
    Absolutely.

Brett

Default Stranger

Isn't that what wives are for? - filling in our shortcomings.

NZ hunter - the previous posts are correct - you will need to hire a guide - which leaves out the word "cheap" - but well worth the money. Hunting Alaska is a great experience.

Talking here's an idea

Why don't we have a forum for wives to share the "wrongs" of their spouse.
    I'm pretty sure a thread wouldn't handle the traffic. I'm not sure that a forum for such wouldn't demand a larger server. I'm certain my wife would be happy to start the first mega-thread.
    Gary