Thread: Prince William Sound/Port Fidalgo Fishing

Default Prince William Sound/Port Fidalgo Fishing

I grew up fishing the Gulf/Atlantic so please bear with me while I study this new environment.

How is the fishing/crabbing/shrimping around here?

What can I expect to catch?

I know the oil spill made a big impact, but is the wildlife making a slow comeback?

I don't want to downplay the oil spill - it was most certainly not a good thing for the Sound - but it did not decimate the fish populations for decades. Fishing is good in parts of the Sound, shrimping can be great, but crabbing is mostly limited to winter months and specific areas and is thus not participated in by very many.

What you can expect to catch? That obviously depends on your access to a boat, time of year, and equipment, but commonly caught species in the Sound are rockfish (multiple kinds), halibut, some ling cod, various other groundfish (skate, pacific cod, greenling, etc.), salmon (pink, chum, and silver are most common, with sockeye and kings fewer in number), and spot shrimp. There are other species present as well.

Are the crabs good eating? I'm guessing its not the king crabs from the deadliest catch.

Quote Originally Posted by AKNoob View Post
    Are the crabs good eating? I'm guessing its not the king crabs from the deadliest catch.
    There is a limited king crab fishery that takes place in the winter in a limited portion of the Sound. Very unpredictable weather, but if you can get out there, they're fantastic eating. The tanner crab are very good as well. Again, though, the fishery is very limited. You're much more likely to get into some good shrimping, as it is open all summer long and can be done in all areas of the Sound. They are very, very good eating.

Whats all this talk about crabs? I want to catch some Salmon sharks. I guess I bet the hunting is real good.