Thread: Which Ruger is better

Default Which Ruger is better

Looking into getting a security six, speed six or police service six. There all about the same price. they go from 2 3/4" to 4" barrels and some in stainless and others blued. Any pointers on which might be better. Thanks.

What is your intended purpose for the gun?
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default Ruger

Ruger made all of these guns in blue and stainless. The security six came in 357 and is available with adjustable sights. The speed six came in 357 with fixed sights. The police model had fixed sights and came in 38 spl. The norm was 4" barrels, however other lengths were available. You must decide what caliber, finish, and barrel length that best fits your needs.

I'd sure shoot both barrel lengths if you can. Most folks find the shorter barrel a little harder to control and hit with, an issue if you're planning to shoot any kind of range with it, as in hunting. The longer barrel is kinda clunky in a coat pocket if you plan to use it for carry, though.

Default purposes

i plan to use on canoe/ short distance camping trips and such to plug a critter with some lead for some fresh grub, maybe use on deer by the road, and a general purpose sidearm. Probaly not shots more then 20-30 yards, would the barrel length make much of a difference with acuracy at that range, probaly go with stainless for weather resistance, what about fixed sights or swapping sights out and putting something like fiberoptics on. Are the main differences in guns the sights and calibers? id probaly go with the .357 for more energy, though there pretty much the same size. which ammo is cheaper though .38/.357?

Get a .357mag and you can shoot .38 specials in it all day long and yet have the option to go to a higher power .357 load.

Default Better ain't always better...

Verl,

If you've decided on 38/357 then the four inch is a short as you should go for an outdoor sidearm. That is packable in a strong side holster(the safest mode of carry) and has better sight radius and performance over the 2 1/2"-3" barrels. Since you will carry in a canoe and will get wet, stainless makes sense. This would be a good general duty camp and trail gun. 38 spcls can be used for grouse and rabbits and the heavy bullet 357 for more serious use.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default sights

Which would be the best sights, or just a gun with whatever sights and swap em out.

I'd go with the Security Six with a 6" barrel if they have it & no less than 4" as Murphy said.
    As was said with the Security you get the adjustable sights which is the only way to go in my opinion. I believe the fixed sights (speed six) are simply a notch in the frame on the rear so changing them out isn't an option. It's more a matter of finding the ammo that shoots to point of aim & you are stuck with it. Adjustable sights you pick the type of ammo you want to shoot & then adjust the sights accordingly.
    If you are a double action Ruger fan you might also look at the GP 100.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."