Thread: float hunting

Default float hunting

was wanting to do a self guided float out of the brooks range any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Dow Jones View Post
    was wanting to do a self guided float out of the brooks range any suggestions?
    Sure, pick one that has decent water and lots of game, it will be a great hunt.

But really, do you know what game you are after, what duration the trip would be, and lastly what is your budget. The Brooks Range is a very large area we will need to narrow it down a bit.

Default Expensive

I assume you are a non-resident so you will be flying into either Anchorage or Fairbanks. Either way, a float in the Brooks Range will require a lot of instate, float plane flying which is expensive.

When all is said & done, the cost of a hunt planner will not even be evident. Use one!! Either Mike Strahan or Larry Bartlett. either will definitely be worth the money.

thanks for the info but no i lived in fairbanks for awhile

Default Brooks Range Float Hunts

One of the biggest considerations with most of the rivers in the Brooks is low fall water levels. Be sure to monitor the situation throughout the summer or you could end up dragging your boat through a parking lot. Also it seems to me that hunting pressure up there moves around a bit, so check with your air service to find out how many folks they're dropping on the river you're planning to hunt.

As always, when you're talking about a river you've never hunted before, and especially when there are potential issues with low water, rapids, or other hazards, it's a good idea to fly the river on your way to the drop point, and to have an alternate drop point in case Plan A is a no-go.

The Brooks is beautiful country and it can be a good hunt, but these are some precautions I would take.

Hope it helps!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay