Thread: Spey Flys

Default Spey Flys

So dads day is coming up. I'm working on tying up some spey flies. Going to put a few in a shadow box and send them to my old man.

Something artsy, and something to test my skills some.

Anyone have have any tips, recipes they like, links, etc etc they would be willing to share??

I want this things to be gorgeous, maybe a little crazy, and fun.

Default Youtube

type in spey fly on youtube and go to town. There are some good overall fly tying instructions out there. I have never looked for spey instructions, but I am sure there is a bunch out there.

Here are some pics to give you some Ideas.

The Yin/Yang

The Java Scimitar

The Eyeful

Nellie Bly, showing shadowbox and matting

All of these were tied by a buddy of mine, he gets a pretty penny for them.

Thanks for the replies guys. Some good stuff. I had done a little googling before posting here and found some good images and videos, but every little bit helps.

GSmolt-Whew.. those are flat out impressive. I think a little beyond me right now.

I'm going to try a couple more classic types, modeling the grey heron and similar, and just try and get my ties done to the best of my ability. We'll see how I do. If I get a couple decent ones I will post up some pictures.

I LOVE that java scimitar!!!

Thanks again, and keep them coming.

Try looking on spey pages. They have a lot of great tiers that post really good patterns, and step by steps. Try searing Marty as a username, he does a lot of step by steps.

Quote Originally Posted by AKGrayling View Post
    Try looking on spey pages. They have a lot of great tiers that post really good patterns, and step by steps. Try searing Marty as a username, he does a lot of step by steps.
    holy crap! Just got done perusing their forum. Good stuff there.

Thanks.

On another note.. I got a couple practice runs.. they look... eh. soso. Im not too impressed with my work. In all honestly they are pretty hard to get right. I'd rather tie size 18 drys or nymphs.

Just missed my 20 minute edit limit..

Run 1

Run 3

You can see... I spaced the fact that this piece of hackle needed to be wrapped in reverse to look right.. spaced it until I had already tied off the tinsel, thus the criss cross pattern. Tried to start simple.
    Run 2 was more embarrassing then the above.. hence you don't see it here.

I ran out of beer, and thus ran out of creativity. To be continued I guess.

So it struck me. Muzzyman left a cooler in the back of my truck. Lo and behold, it contained beer. so with my creative juices back in full swing I attempted another.

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

I saw a cool looking spey fly and I was fascinated enough to buy a bunch of dyed gadwall, guinea and goose shoulder. It's worth following the link: http://www.utahonthefly.com/forums/s...ight=john+deer

I did a similar project, but I didn't worry about it being gorgeous. My Dad doesn't fish much, but he caught a nice brown a couple of years before I was born. I built a frame out of barnwood and stuck a few of my first spey flies on there. I've tied nicer looking flies since, but these incorporated feathers from bird hunts we had done together and other sentimental materials.

Trey combs has a couple great spey tying books....his newest has some awesome patterns in it.

But you're right tying some good looking speys by the weekend.....might be a tad tuff.

Try some maribou speys, they are relatively easy to tie and look great!

sorry I lied....treys book is good...considered bible on how to steelhead fish in its entirety including flies.

John Shewey's spey and d book is better on the how too imho.
    http://www.amazon.com/Spey-Flies-How.../dp/0811700321

Bob also has a great book on speys.

http://www.amazon.com/Spey-Flies-How...6777826&sr=1-2

Default Spey or Atlantic salmon flies

Here is a link for you with some recipes. It has been a long while since I have tied these arty flies. They do challenge your mind and critical eye, but they are wasted on Alaska salmon. It is great that you are making this a Father's day gift. Tight lines. http://www.geocities.com/mehama_mike...ry/gallery.htm
    Only those that can see the invisible can do the impossible.

try using duck slips for wings, I think that looks pretty awesome! Nice ties so far. Try using a little less thread in the head. Also try tying on a prettier hook. Maybe tie some hair wings.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Personally, I find flies tied in close to the same layout as these two linked below to be a really good way to go on spey flies. I think they are easier to tie then the full shank hackle ones like some of yours.
    I use a tag, then floss of your color choice half way up, tie in a hackle, wrap a thicker body like yarn or dubbing to the head, wrap some ribbing, wrap the hackle along either the back or front side of the ribbing, add a throat of your choice and then tie in some wings. The Dee wings like the ones pictured are kind of difficult but do look really good. Feather wings can be subbed if you would like, but I would use the dee wings.
    http://speypages.com/speyclave/showthread.php?t=40714

good luck
    Riley
    Last edited by AKGrayling; 06-23-2010 at 01:35. Reason: Forgot the link

Update:
    Thanks for rising to the occasion and helping me out fellas!

Got the project done and mailed off.. 2 days late. But he was in Kodiak anyway, never knew I was late. Besides; he's my dad and he's gotta love me anyway right

My ties improved dramatically by monday, and I actually got 6 done that I was proud enough of to put in a shadow box and send off. Cheapo shadow box from Freddies, a big black and white glossy photo of a fly reel for background and flys in there.

He loved it, so thanks for all the links and advice!

No picture proof.. you'll just have to take my word for it... (It was thiiiiiiis big)